• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail project careers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ten7

Hi, I was wondering what the best way to get into rail projects is if you have a civil engineering degree, which included 2 year long sandwich placements, and you also worked another year after graduating in railway engineering and asset management, but you've been working in an unrelated industry, in a business project management support role, for a few months? Is it easy to transition?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bromley boy

Established Member
Hi, I was wondering what the best way to get into rail projects is if you have a civil engineering degree, which included 2 year long sandwich placements, and you also worked another year after graduating in railway engineering and asset management, but you've been working in an unrelated industry, in a business project management support role, for a few months? Is it easy to transition?

I'd imagine the Network Rail graduate scheme would be a good starting point. They take civil engineering graduates, I believe.

I believe TFL offer a similar scheme. Obviously depending on whether you live in London, or are willing to relocate there.

ten7

I'd imagine the Network Rail graduate scheme would be a good starting point. They take civil engineering graduates, I believe.

I believe TFL offer a similar scheme. Obviously depending on whether you live in London, or are willing to relocate there.

I see. Would that be the only way given that if I was to go on a graduate scheme, I'd have to take a pay cut?

Bromley boy

Established Member
I see. Would that be the only way given that if I was to go on a graduate scheme, I'd have to take a pay cut?

I guess the only other way is to see if there are any current experienced hire vacancies in the areas you want, apply for them and see if your experience is a good fit. The network rail website lists active vacancies by discipline, salary and location.

I'd imagine it's quite hard to anyone to give more specific advice as it will obviously depend on whether your experience and qualifications are a fit for the particular role in question.

ten7

I guess the only other way is to see if there are any current experienced hire vacancies in the areas you want, apply for them and see if your experience is a good fit. The network rail website lists active vacancies by discipline, salary and location.

I'd imagine it's quite hard to anyone to give more specific advice as it will obviously depend on whether your experience and qualifications are a fit for the particular role in question.

Yes, I see what you're saying. I guess it's a case of keeping an eye out for opportunities and working towards what the roles I'd like to apply for require. And when an opportunity comes along, just to apply.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Companies that do railway engineering also need project management, and even if it's in another field you can put the two together. So I don't see it as a disadvantage at all. Worth also looking at the websites of consulting engineers.

Status
Not open for further replies.