• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Reform Bill published

uglymonkey

The arts sector contributes billions to the economy - the film industry contributes over 4.5 billion itself. 1,000 of jobs, never mind all the other creative industries, some of which we are world leaders in.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Its just not true - to do their job the bean counters also need to know the value of everything ; you can't do budgeting without knowing that. Its just a slur from those who put higher values (usually with no workings) on the non cash benefits (often their hobbies - hear it a lot from the arts sector wanting the taxpayer to pay them to do their hobby)

The point being is that the bean counters (in the form of the DfT) aren’t doing their job properly; the approach since Covid of focussing on making small operational savings that knacker reliability and usability (while ignoring other areas of cost such as the leasing side of the industry) is nakedly political/ideological. The reform bill itself is pointless because it will almost certainly never be passed.

With respect if you’re not prepared to critically engage with the points being made in the article, beyond focussing on one phrase, I don’t think there’s much to be discussed!

Last edited:

HSTEd

Veteran Member
The point being is that the bean counters (in the form of the DfT) aren’t doing their job properly; the approach since Covid of focussing on making small operational savings that knacker reliability and usability (while ignoring other areas of cost such as the leasing side of the industry) is nakedly political/ideological. The reform bill itself is pointless because it will almost certainly never be passed.
But the "Runaway profits" of the leasing side of the industry, decried as £400m, represent about 2% of net government support to the industry (£20bn including HS2 last year). Even if you ignore HS2 it rises to only ~3.3%
Even if they could be entirely abolished, it would make no meaningful difference to the railway industry's overall financial position.

And they can't be abolished without spending £20+bn £30+bn of capital on new rolling stock (or somewhat less on purchasing the existing stock but likely still well north of £15bn). 15,520 vehicles to replace, essentially all owned by leasing companies.

EDIT:
Added a more up to date cost for rail vehicles.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
But the "Runaway profits" of the leasing side of the industry, decried as £400m, represent about 2% of net government support to the industry (£20bn including HS2 last year). Even if you ignore HS2 it rises to only ~3.3%
Even if they could be entirely abolished, it would make no meaningful difference to the railway industry's overall financial position.

And they can't be abolished without spending £20+bn £30+bn of capital on new rolling stock (or somewhat less on purchasing the existing stock but likely still well north of £15bn). 15,520 vehicles to replace, essentially all owned by leasing companies.

EDIT:
Added a more up to date cost for rail vehicles.
If you look at the Supplementary Estimate for govt spending for this financial year NR have underspent their budget by 800m HS2 have overspent theirs by 1.7B and TOCs have had an additional 300m of support. I suspect much of NR underspend is not of their own making and has been forced upon them to cover the lost revenue from strikes and HS2's overspend.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Would Robin Gisby (currently running DOLR contracts for the DfT, and close to the centre of power) be a possibility?
He has had significant roles in NR and also has non-rail board positions outside the industry.
He must be a DfT "insider", even as a consultant.

I doubt it. He’ll be 70 by the time GBR comes to pass. Government will want someone to see through the first few years.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I doubt it. He’ll be 70 by the time GBR comes to pass. Government will want someone to see through the first few years.

What this is showing that people of working age with experience of senior management roles at BR are becoming increasingly thin on the ground.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
What this is showing that people of working age with experience of senior management roles at BR are becoming increasingly thin on the ground.

To be fair, Robin never had any management role at BR, senior or otherwise.

Given that BR in integrated form ceased to exist 30 years ago (in a few weeks), its going to be pretty difficult to find anyone of working age with experience of senior management at BR.

But, in my view you don’t need to have had senior management experience at BR to be a good railway leader now.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
To be fair, Robin never had any management role at BR, senior or otherwise.

Given that BR in integrated form ceased to exist 30 years ago (in a few weeks), its going to be pretty difficult to find anyone of working age with experience of senior management at BR.

But, in my view you don’t need to have had senior management experience at BR to be a good railway leader now.
Looks like it Alex Hynes then!!

Recessio

I would imagine that dealing with Westminster would be a rather different prospect to dealing with Holyrood.
I was wondering if Andrew Adonis would throw his hat into the ring again. (Last time a guiding mind position was considered a few years ago, he was all over the airwaves on-maneuvers to be a self-described "thin controller". )

Not much direct railway experience, but very knowledgeable on the government/civil service side of things, and knows how to deal with Westminster.