• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Replacement Bus Coordinaton: Incentives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I have pressed the company on why events played out as they did, following the previous response in #16. Their response is... quite short:

Thank you for your response.

To clarify, we do not hold train services. We do everything that we can to leave at the scheduled departure time as not doing so, even by just a minute, can have a knock on effect on the rest of the network.

I can draw from this only that what they mean is that, by company policy, trains are not to be held for rail replacement buses, not even for one minute.

The discussion over compensation remains ongoing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I have pressed the company on why events played out as they did, following the previous response in #16. Their response is... quite short:

I can draw from this only that what they mean is that, by company policy, trains are not to be held for rail replacement buses, not even for one minute.

I think their policy is correct for all busy (at any point) lines - perhaps not needed on a remote branch line.

TUC

Established Member
What is odd is that usually the complaint about rail replacement buses is that the timetable allows far too much time for the journey!

TUC

Established Member
I get the issue of the knock-on effects of delaying a train. What is frustrating is the sense you get of the TOC acting as though it’s an ordinary bus service and nothing to do with them, when in fact they commissioned the service!

muz379

Established Member
In this situation the responsibility lies with the bus coordinator either on board the bus or at the interchange point to ensure control know that the bus is going to be arriving late , and how long it is anticipated the delay will be . Control can then make a decision and communicate this to station staff or train-crew , given the need to ensure contact is made with the station staff or tc the bus coordinator should be trying to ensure control are aware in good time .

Without this information Control cannot make a decision and station staff or train-crew will send/take the train at booked time . Even if control decide not to hold the service there should be some feedback then so that future rail replacement bus services might be retimed .

I have known situations when train-crew have been advised to delay a service to wait for a replacement bus . But the ones I can think of have been when the connecting train is the last one to run that day which is a slightly different scenario.

But just saying not even for one minute , i think in this case and most that I know of it would have been more than one minute . You estimate 2-3 , i would say that is being optimistic , not all passengers are capable or seem to want to make a swift interchange under those circumstances so it could easily be a 5 minute delay even though the RRB arrived at the same time as the train was supposed to depart .

Status
Not open for further replies.