• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail replacement busses on the London–Ipswich route

Status
Not open for further replies.

pne

I had considered taking the "Dutch Flyer" on Sun 26 April.

However, looking into the next few weeks, it seems that there are rail replacement busses on the route towards Harwich, meaning train to Billericay, then bus to Manningtree, then train to Harwich.

Greater Anglia only show planned service alterations for a limited time in advance - about two months.

The alternative route would be London Spezial along the Eurostar, with bookin opening about three months beforehand, and I would rather book towards the beginning of that range if it seems likely that the "Dutch Flyer" route would involve RRB.

Is it possible to find out how long the RRBs will be running on the London–Ipswich route? Or to guess?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 170101

Established Member
Currently running until end of March at weekends due to engineering works. The Dutchflyer is normally a direct coach from Harwich International to Liverpool Street when engineering works block the mainline from points south of Marks Tey.

Veteran Member
Officially Network Rail post engineering work 12 weeks ahead, which is only a week different from DB booking horizons. This cannot always be relied on, I appreciate, but it might be worth waiting till 12 weeks, as 26 April isn't a peak travel date.

What trains and destination do you have in mind?

pne

Officially Network Rail post engineering work 12 weeks ahead, which is only a week different from DB booking horizons. This cannot always be relied on, I appreciate, but it might be worth waiting till 12 weeks, as 26 April isn't a peak travel date.

Waiting a week sounds reasonable.

Can you tell me where I can find engineering work information directly from Network Rail? Since AGA seem to look less far ahead.

What trains and destination do you have in mind?

I was thinking of one of the 1802 or 1902 semi-fast from Liverpool Street to Manningtree, the 1900 fast train from LST to MNG, or the 1932 boat train direct from LST to Harwich.

Z12XE

Looking at the Engineering plans for the year, Period 4 - April 1st to May 2nd 2015 the only works shown for 26th April is buses Colchester to Clacton and Walton.

No disruptive works on the mainline planned for that date.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
.I was thinking of one of the 1802 or 1902 semi-fast from Liverpool Street to Manningtree, the 1900 fast train from LST to MNG, or the 1932 boat train direct from LST to Harwich.

Sorry, I was meaning at the German end.

However, you're taking the night boat. If you are taking the closest ICE alternative, the 0625 from Brussels (or 0714 Liège to get more sleep) then the EUR59 fares seem widely available, whereas going through to Köln, for example, on the 1825 on Sunday will cost you!

I'd personally do a test booking on 25 Jan for both the London Special and a ES Netherlands (if you need one).

Last edited:

pne

Looking at the Engineering plans for the year, Period 4 - April 1st to May 2nd 2015 the only works shown for 26th April is buses Colchester to Clacton and Walton.

No disruptive works on the mainline planned for that date.

Ah, thanks! That sounds promising.

Notice is posted here:
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/currentAndFuture.aspx

But bear in mind that it is up to the operator to advise what arrangements are being made.

Ah, thanks!

Sorry, I was meaning at the German end.

Ah, right.

I’ll be going to Hamburg, so not via Cologne. And unfortunately no ICE available.

So something like 0926 from Hoek van Holland Haven, changing at Rotterdam, Amersfoort, and Osnabrück, arriving in Hamburg at 1613. Currently available for €39 Standard/€69 First class (ES Netherlands) for Mon 13 April two weeks earlier (I’ll probably take the First class ticket). There’s also a connection at 0811 but that seems to be cutting it rather fine given an official arrival time of the ferry of 0800.

The Eurostar alternative I had been considering would be spending another night in the UK and then taking the 0650 or 1058, both currently available for €69 Standard/€129 First for the same day (Mon 13 April). (I see no €59/€109 fares for those times any more on that Monday morning, though the following Tuesday would work.)

One uncertainty is how long my conference (in Horsham) will last on Sunday, which hasn’t been announced yet, so I’m not sure whether to take a standard-ish(?) time of 1630 or so and plan my travel home based on that, or see whether they might make it more like 1800 or so, which would point more towards the night in the UK as I wouldn’t make the boat train then.

I'd personally do a test booking on 25 Jan for both the London Special and a ES Netherlands (if you need one).

I may well go with that: compare HRH-VIC+DutchFlyer+cabin+ES NL with London Spezial and then see.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Veteran Member
With the long wait before the Berlin IC, and with destination Hamburg, going via Groningen-Leer with a pre booked Niedersachsen ticket will get you to Hamburg almost as quickly and dirt cheap! Valid on IC Leer - Bremen too. But take your own refreshments!

pne

With the long wait before the Berlin IC, and with destination Hamburg, going via Groningen-Leer with a pre booked Niedersachsen ticket will get you to Hamburg almost as quickly and dirt cheap! Valid on IC Leer - Bremen too. But take your own refreshments!

I hadn't considered that route!

EuroSpar NL seems to be available for €29 though, not much more than the €23 for a Niedersachsen-Ticket... I doubt I'd get a Dutch ticket to Leer for €6. Though that route would give me more flexibility since ES limits one to pre-booked trains, at least for IC-class ones.

It seems to get me to Hamburg at the same time (1613) as the 0926 via Osnabrück, though, just that I leave at 0826 and spend more time in trains rather than on railway stations.

Still, something to think about!

Veteran Member
As the NSTicket is valid from the Dutch border Weener Gr, I would argue that the Dutchflyer ticket covers you; I've not tried it (was planning to last summer) but have used the equivalent combination of ES Any Belgian Station and a NRW Schoener Tag without Problem.

pne

As the NSTicket is valid from the Dutch border Weener Gr, I would argue that the Dutchflyer ticket covers you; I've not tried it (was planning to last summer) but have used the equivalent combination of ES Any Belgian Station and a NRW Schoener Tag without Problem.

Ah right, I had forgotten that the DutchFlyer ticket is for Any Dutch station so would take me at least to the last one before the border and possibly right up to it.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.