• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail replacement coach crashes

kingqueen

A rail replacement coach crashed into Carlisle railway station, injuring two people. ...
British Transport Police is investigating the crash which also led to the closure of the station's ticket booth and main entrance.
The crash, which involved a coach replacing a TransPennine Express service, attracted a significant response from the emergency services.
As a wheelchair user often left without my wheelchair or my body being secured on such coaches, I do wonder what would have happened if I was unsecured on that one.
I hope all involved are as okay as possible and recuperate soon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Not at all good. By the way, how do you get into and out of Carlisle station if the main entrance past the ticket office/newsagents is closed off for whatever reason?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not at all good. By the way, how do you get into and out of Carlisle station if the main entrance past the ticket office/newsagents is closed off for whatever reason?

There's a ramp down from the bridge which isn't normally publically accessible but could be opened, and I think there's also an entrance from the car park on the other side.

NI 271

There's another entrance about 25 yards to the right (as viewed looking toward the front), with a metal roller shutter type door. Or the two mentioned by Bletchleyite.

In the pic below, the main entrance is in the third portal from the left of the station façade, obscured by the sign. The other is clearly visible through the car park exit.

Carlisle-station--1024x683.jpg

(Pic of Carlisle Station front as viewed from the street)

Snow1964

Established Member
Seems sadly the passenger on the RRB that crashed subsequently died

A man in his 70s has died in hospital, over two weeks after he was involved in a coach crash at Carlisle Railway Station.

British Transport Police confirmed that the man, who has not been named, was taken to hospital after the incident on Thursday, November 30 but has since died.

A man in his 40s has been arrested in connection with the incident and has been released on bail.

The coach – used for rail replacement services – crashed into the left side of the entrance, outside the WH Smith outlet.

A spokesman for British Transport Police said that an investigation into the cause of the collision had been launched and was ongoing.

The railway station’s front entrance remains closed and it has been reported it will be months until it is reopened. A side entrance has been opened for passengers to use in the meantime.

Anyone with information is urged to contact the British Transport Police by texting 61016.

Not seen any comments by Transpennine Express about fatality caused by its RRB

greatkingrat

Established Member
Do we know the victim was a passenger on the bus? It seems more likely they were a pedestrian as it would be unusual for a relatively low speed crash to cause fatalities on board.

PyrahnaRanger

I was in Carlisle on Monday and the main entrance is boarded up still, along with the front window of WHSmith. Does anyone have any idea how much damage has been done, given it’s supposed to take “months” to fix, not that you’d have noticed it without the boards!

Deepgreen

Established Member
A very sad incident - hard to understand how such a vehicle could crash like that unless the driver was ill (or even intoxicated - not that there is any suggestion of that). I would expect all vehicle movements there to be at such low speed as to be relatively safe for those on board even in a collision. Of course, any pedestrian in the way would be very vulnerable.

RT4038

Established Member
A very sad incident - hard to understand how such a vehicle could crash like that unless the driver was ill (or even intoxicated - not that there is any suggestion of that). I would expect all vehicle movements there to be at such low speed as to be relatively safe for those on board even in a collision. Of course, any pedestrian in the way would be very vulnerable.
Accelerator rather than brake pedal possibly?

PyrahnaRanger

Or possibly just human error. Coaches have, for many decades now, had an interlock so you can’t open the doors from the door buttons if you don’t have the handbrake on.

Now, if you get out of your seat and pull the handle on the inside of the door, it bypasses the interlock.

I may have a friend who did exactly that at Silloth one evening when going to talk to the other drivers on a three coach job. To be fair to other drivers, they didn’t laugh much as his coach rolled backwards into an aircraft hangar…

Like the front of Carlisle station, it seemed like a flat area, so any movement took a while to be noticed.

Also at Carlisle, you also have to bear in mind that the area in front is where coaches have to pull forward into so they can reverse into the holding area, and it wouldn’t be the first time someone misjudged stopping distances, or slid on wet/icy surfaces and ended up somewhere unexpected.