• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Replacement Contract Changes

Teds

I have heard rumours that some rail replacement contracts have been agreed with non-group operators. Has anyone any information about which contracts are changing? Is this pressure from the DfT to procure rail replacement more competitively?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Reportedly the GTR rail replacement contract is moving from Go Ahead to Abellio in April despite Go Ahead being the major shareholder in the TOC. But conversely the West Midlands Trains rail replacement contract is moving from Abellio to Stagecoach despite Abellio being the major shareholder in the TOC.

Snow1964

Established Member
I think it might be simple Geography of what's available, just because an owning group has a rail franchise, doesn't mean that they also have a bus company with spare buses and drivers in same area

Goldfish62

Established Member
Reportedly the GTR rail replacement contract is moving from Go Ahead to Abellio in April despite Go Ahead being the major shareholder in the TOC. But conversely the West Midlands Trains rail replacement contract is moving from Abellio to Stagecoach despite Abellio being the major shareholder in the TOC.
Yes, the GTR contract moves from GoAhead London to Abellio London on 1st April 2024.

In respect of competitive tendering the fact that the tenderer and a bidder happen to be owned by the same parent company is irrelevant.

I'd imagine that even though Abellio will be responsible for the co-ordination, Go Ahead Group Bus Companies will still be providing many of the rail replacement services (to Abellio) simply because of the geography and the fact that outside of the London Area, Abellio have very little operations within the GTR area at least on the Southern part where many services are provided by Brighton and Hove/Metrobus which now includes Southdown.

dk1

Veteran Member
I'd imagine that even though Abellio will be responsible for the co-ordination, Go Ahead Group Bus Companies will still be providing many of the rail replacement services (to Abellio) simply because of the geography and the fact that outside of the London Area, Abellio have very little operations within the GTR area at least on the Southern part where many services are provided by Brighton and Hove/Metrobus which now includes Southdown.

Although branded as Abellio I don’t think they actually exist as such here since the take over by Transport UK group in February.

Although branded as Abellio I don’t think they actually exist as such here since the take over by Transport UK group in February.
People have had this argument elsewhere. Despite some parts of the business having been rebranded, it is still Abellio on the company house records and the operators license registration.

dk1

Veteran Member
People have had this argument elsewhere. Despite some parts of the business having been rebranded, it is still Abellio on the company house records and the operators license registration.

Seems really odd that it’s still carrying that branding/name. Working for Greater Anglia we would never know know that Abellio ever existed.

alistairlees

Established Member
You need to replace the word "despite" with "because". The DfT is very keen on retendering 'affiliated' contracts.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Yes, it's still very much Abellio London. Brand new buses are being delivered with Abellio fleetnames, and as you say the legal names are still Abellio.

Very much likely to be the case, just as GoAhead London use operators far and wide now to provide rail replacement.

What are likely to be casualties I'd have thought are GoAhead London's outstations in Sussex and at Luton given that they will have a lack of guaranteed work..

Last edited:

Teds

By the mid-2000s, the companies running multiple franchises which by then were almost all bus or coach companies - National Express, Stagecoach, First, Arriva - decided to set up rail replacement organisations - I assume to keep the profits in the group. Frazer Eagle had been a big operator of rail replacement services but was eventually squeezed out of the business and ended up bankrupt. I think Frazer Eagle originated as a coach company. By that time, Anglia Railways had lost its franchise to National Express. Chiltern was still independent and used National Express for their rail replacement but i think all the other franchises were operated by one of the four groups above. Since that time, the rail replacement contracts have always been with the 'in-house' operator. The companies also set up operations for events and contract work for non-rail companies. The most successful at diversification is probably First Travel Solutions who operate the rail replacement for all the First franchises in cluding Avanti. One of their contracts is to supply all the travel to work services for Amazon warehouses.

The way the contracts always went to the in-house operator must have suggested that there might be a lack of competition in the business which, it seems, the DfT has picked up on. This is why the changes in the Thameslink/Southern/Great Northern and West Midlands contracts are significant. Go-Ahead only operate one franchise now but it a big one with lots of rail replacement work so it would have been worthwhile to keep it. Abellio (Transport UK) operate several so it is unlikely that they would have voluntarily closed their operation in the West Midlands. This seems to have nothing to do with whether the franchise owner has bus or coach operating units in the area of the franchise. National Express rarely used their London bus operation (ex-Connex and now Abellio) to provide rail replacement vehicles and never in my experience used NX coaches for the work. They also discouraged their contract operators from using NX liveried vehicles on rail replacement work.

Some companies set up operating units using cascaded vehicles. London General Commercial Services is one. As mentioned, they have outposts around the TSGN fracnchise area. Stagecoach had a unit at Lincoln which provided vehicles for East Midlands and later East Coast. I think there was one for South West Trains as well. NX certainly did not have an specific operating unit. Abellio London may have a unit for TfL work but it does not operate any duties for their TOCs.

The bus operating subsiduaries attitude to providing vehicles for rail replacement work varies with the local staffing situation and the local management.

The TOCs which are not part of the First, Arriva and Go-Ahead always tendered their rail replacement services. Transport UK has the Wales contract. I don't know who provides the services for the other TOCs - Northern etc. The rail replacement companies mostly contract the work to local bus and coach companies but they directly employ the majority of their coordinators. You can usually tell who who the operator is from the hi-vi worn by the coordinators. c2c has used a different model which relies mostly on Ensignbus. TfL also has a different arrangement with, I think, a unit within TfL which contracts with the operators to provide vehicles and coordinators for individual or blocks of services for all the TfL rail businesses - you are invited to correct me on that.

Thank you for the posts about the forthcoming changes. I think it indicates a significant change in rail replacement - but will it be for the better?

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Chiltern is managed by Stagecoach but unsure how long they’ve been doing that

I’m sure Chiltern’s rail replacement was provided by Arriva Road Transport Services (ARTS), who covered the other Arriva TOCs such as Cross Country & Grand Central. ARTS are/were also responsible for Northern’s RR even when Arriva were stripped of the Northern franchise in March 2020. Again this might have changed in recent times. ARTS sourced their work out to external coach companies. I do recall ARTS had offices in Derby and a small control team located in the York ROC.

CJ

izvor

Perversely GoAhead are keeping the SouthEastern RRB franchise, at least until the extension expires, I believe in summer 2024.

I’m sure Chiltern’s rail replacement was provided by Arriva Road Transport Services (ARTS), who covered the other Arriva TOCs such as Cross Country & Grand Central. ARTS are/were also responsible for Northern’s RR even when Arriva were stripped of the Northern franchise in March 2020. Again this might have changed in recent times. ARTS sourced their work out to external coach companies. I do recall ARTS had offices in Derby and a small control team located in the York ROC.

CJ
Yeah Arriva Road Transport Services still do Northerns rail replacement. They're very good at sourcing coordinators....not so good at sourcing buses though

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Yeah Arriva Road Transport Services still do Northerns rail replacement. They're very good at sourcing coordinators....not so good at sourcing buses though

A lot of the issue with sourcing buses is finding reputable companies who are registered and can provide compliant coaches that meet PSVAR regulations as set by the DfT. Unfortunately, a lot of coach companies prioritise other work (such school contracts) over rail replacement work, which isn’t always reliable if you have to find a coach driver willing to turn out from home at short notice. I know someone who did once work for First Travel Solutions (FTS) and he did say they struggled with sourcing coaches at such short notice.

CJ

JustPassingBy

Chiltern seemed to have used a variety of small operators in recent months for rail replacements between Aylesbury and Amersham, including some tiny operators. On several occasions mini buses/mini coaches turned up with quite amateurish set ups e.g. drivers who struggled with the vehicles and routes, missing traffic lights, etc. Also vehicles with email addresses painted on the side that are using free personal email services, e.g. [email protected]

I guess all this reflects the difficulty of sourcing replacements and the focus on minimum cost.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Thank you for the posts about the forthcoming changes. I think it indicates a significant change in rail replacement - but will it be for the better?
Unlikely as the contracts are bid for quite low. Operators that I have spoken to who work for the West Midlands area, they were under Abellio/Transport UK Group and are about to be under Stagecoach and they have all said the new pay rates from Stagecoach are shocking. Similarly operators who have done Avanti work were under CMAC and now they have moved to First Travel Solutions and they have all said that FTS rates are shocking in comparison to what it was. They are forced to cut corners or only take on First work where it links up to another job somewhere.

They're very good at sourcing coordinators....not so good at sourcing buses though
Yes but the thing is most Arriva coordinators are clueless or don't turn up. I know a number of coordinators for other operators who have had to teach Arriva staff how to do the job because they have been sent out on their second shift, on their own to stupidly big stations which are far larger than the person can safely handle. I know I can't say too much but if people heard just some of the stories with Arriva coordinator, their ability to source staff is not as good as you may think. A huge amount of jacket fillers.

A lot of the issue with sourcing buses is finding reputable companies who are registered and can provide compliant coaches that meet PSVAR regulations as set by the DfT. Unfortunately, a lot of coach companies prioritise other work (such school contracts) over rail replacement work, which isn’t always reliable if you have to find a coach driver willing to turn out from home at short notice. I know someone who did once work for First Travel Solutions (FTS) and he did say they struggled with sourcing coaches at such short notice.
For blocks which are pre planned with a decent amount of notice don't go as badly. It goes sour in some specific areas where PSVAR compliance is an issue and in some cases, it's lack of notice from the TOC about the work (until you work in the provision of rail replacement, you don't understand how often TOCs 'forget to request buses'). For emergency buses, that is very difficult as it seems that no one likes to answer the phone and with coach companies the way they are, they don't tend to have any slack. Drivers hours are all locked in from about the week before with almost no potential for any additional work. That is before you consider the fact many coach operators seem to not want to answer the phones outside of office hours and almost no one has spare drivers just waiting for work. As I say, operators are pretty tight on driving hours and so even a 2 hour emergency job in the evening can mess up a school contract the next day.

As for the current supplier list, this may be useful to some people
Avanti West CoastFirst Travel Solutions
C2CEnsignBus
ChilternStagecoach (Changed a few months ago)
Cross CountryArriva Road Transport Solutions
East Midlands RailwayAbellio/Transport UK Group
Greater AngliaAbellio/Transport UK Group
Govia Thameslink RailwayCurrently GoAhead, Moving to Abellio/Transport UK Group in April 2023
Grand CentralArriva Road Transport Solutions
Great Western RailwayFirst Travel Solutions
Hull TrainsFirst Travel Solutions
LNERStagecoach
LumoFirst Travel Solutions
MerseyrailArriva Merseyside
NorthernArriva Road Transport Solutions
ScotrailAbellio/Transport UK Group
SoutheasternGo Ahead London
South Western RailwayFirst Travel Solutions
Trans Pennine ExpressFirst Travel Solutions
Transport for WalesAbellio/Transport UK Group
West Midlands RailwayPreviously Abellio/Transport UK Group, just transferred to Stagecoach

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Unlikely as the contracts are bid for quite low. Operators that I have spoken to who work for the West Midlands area, they were under Abellio/Transport UK Group and are about to be under Stagecoach and they have all said the new pay rates from Stagecoach are shocking. Similarly operators who have done Avanti work were under CMAC and now they have moved to First Travel Solutions and they have all said that FTS rates are shocking in comparison to what it was. They are forced to cut corners or only take on First work where it links up to another job somewhere.

Yes but the thing is most Arriva coordinators are clueless or don't turn up. I know a number of coordinators for other operators who have had to teach Arriva staff how to do the job because they have been sent out on their second shift, on their own to stupidly big stations which are far larger than the person can safely handle. I know I can't say too much but if people heard just some of the stories with Arriva coordinator, their ability to source staff is not as good as you may think. A huge amount of jacket fillers.

For blocks which are pre planned with a decent amount of notice don't go as badly. It goes sour in some specific areas where PSVAR compliance is an issue and in some cases, it's lack of notice from the TOC about the work (until you work in the provision of rail replacement, you don't understand how often TOCs 'forget to request buses'). For emergency buses, that is very difficult as it seems that no one likes to answer the phone and with coach companies the way they are, they don't tend to have any slack. Drivers hours are all locked in from about the week before with almost no potential for any additional work. That is before you consider the fact many coach operators seem to not want to answer the phones outside of office hours and almost no one has spare drivers just waiting for work. As I say, operators are pretty tight on driving hours and so even a 2 hour emergency job in the evening can mess up a school contract the next day.

As for the current supplier list, this may be useful to some people
Avanti West CoastFirst Travel Solutions
C2CEnsignBus (Is this now under FTS now that Ensign has been taken over?)
ChilternStagecoach (Changed a few months ago)
Cross CountryArriva Road Transport Solutions
East Midlands RailwayAbellio/Transport UK Group
Govia Thameslink RailwayCurrently GoAhead, Moving to Abellio/Transport UK Group in April 2023
Grand CentralArriva Road Transport Solutions
Great Western RailwayFirst Travel Solutions
Hull TrainsFirst Travel Solutions
LNERStagecoach
LumoFirst Travel Solutions
MerseyrailArriva Merseyside
NorthernArriva Road Transport Solutions
ScotrailAbellio/Transport UK Group
Southeastern
South Western RailwayFirst Travel Solutions
Trans Pennine ExpressFirst Travel Solutions
Transport for WalesAbellio/Transport UK Group
West Midlands RailwayPreviously Abellio/Transport UK Group, just transferred to Stagecoach
Agree with all that. In your table above Southeastern is currently GoAhead London, but I understand being retendered.

On whether Abellio will be any better than GoAhead London, the latter draws on a large panel of casual drivers who are largely confined to rail replacement. They can chose exactly where and when they work and which garage is most convenient to take their bus from. Will Abellio have that degree of flexibility? We shall see...

izvor

Chiltern seemed to have used a variety of small operators in recent months for rail replacements between Aylesbury and Amersham, including some tiny operators. On several occasions mini buses/mini coaches turned up with quite amateurish set ups e.g. drivers who struggled with the vehicles and routes, missing traffic lights, etc.
First (GWR) have had the same issues in my area.

Edit - disclosure - I sometimes work for GoAhead so apologies for pot-kettle situation!

markymark2000

On Moderation
Agree with all that. In your table above Southeastern is currently GoAhead London, but I understand being retendered.
Thank You.

On whether Abellio will be any better than GoAhead London, the latter draws on a large panel of casual drivers who are largely confined to rail replacement. They can chose exactly where and when they work and which garage is most convenient to take their bus from. Will Abellio have that degree of flexibility? We shall see...
Agency/casual drivers by the rail replacement provider seems to be exclusive to GoAhead. Abellio, Arriva and FTS seem to sub contract everything to another bus operator. Does Abellio have a good amount of casual or agency drivers for their TFL Rail Replacement?

I am hoping that with Abellio having an existing operator database because of them running EMR previously running the West Midlands areas, they will have more local operators in their database and hopefully they will then be able to cover more runs and so it should hopefully see a reduction in the number of times Govia sends out 'Unable to source rail replacement'. Abellio/Transport UK Group also has the benefits of being able to bring in operators who are on the books for Wales and Scotrail for larger blocks if the money is right.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Chiltern seemed to have used a variety of small operators in recent months for rail replacements between Aylesbury and Amersham, including some tiny operators. On several occasions mini buses/mini coaches turned up with quite amateurish set ups e.g. drivers who struggled with the vehicles and routes, missing traffic lights, etc. Also vehicles with email addresses painted on the side that are using free personal email services, e.g. [email protected]

I guess all this reflects the difficulty of sourcing replacements and the focus on minimum cost.
Very common for Stagecoach Rail Replacement, First Travel Solutions, Arriva Road Transport and CMAC to push out emails and phone calls to their network of tiny / small / medium sized suppliers at all hours of day and night to try to cover the work they've won but don't have the capacity for, or which is coming through from TOCs on urgent notice. No doubt some of the others do it too. Sometimes the same tiny supplier using a free email address and who have only one or two vehicles end up working for multiple of the groups.

Abellio, Arriva and FTS seem to sub contract everything to another bus operator.
They will cover it awarding work to themselves if they can! For example First Manchester depot in Oldham working for First Travel Solutions on TransPennine Express jobs.

markymark2000

On Moderation
They will cover it awarding work to themselves if they can! For example First Manchester depot in Oldham working for First Travel Solutions on TransPennine Express jobs.
First buses tend not to cover much rail except for in in the Great Western area. Oldham depot and I think South Yorkshire depots do a little bit but not huge amounts. Arriva I don't think ever get their own buses out anymore except for perhaps on their TFL blocks. Abellio I think are the same, they only use their own buses when it's on TFL blocks. West or East Midlands blocks which run into London are contracted out still, they aren't covered by themselves.

Murray J

Down here in Sussex the only company that seems to run emergency rail replacements is actually Ensignbus, the 2 times i've seen E-rail replacement at East Grinstead on both occasions it has been Ensignbus vehicles that have turned out. On planned stuff Go-Ahead London seem to operate a lot of services and i'm seeing less coach operators turning out recently, although admittedly I haven't seen rail replacements around as often. I've only seen minibuses turn-up a few times, twice on East Grinstead-Oxted stoppers and once on a Three Bridges-Lewes run of all things.

Teds

Down here in Sussex the only company that seems to run emergency rail replacements is actually Ensignbus, the 2 times i've seen E-rail replacement at East Grinstead on both occasions it has been Ensignbus vehicles that have turned out.
Unlike most operators, emergency rail replacement is a significant part of the Ensign business. As it is very difficult for other operators to cover emergency jobs, Ensign do a lot of it - anywhere up to 100 miles away from base. I think it must be quite profitable - and, they make it quite profitable for the drivers too. To answer the question above, First Travel Solutions currently has no involvement withc2c rail replacement.

Greater Anglia is missing from the table above. Their contractor is Abellio/Transport UK.

markymark2000

On Moderation
To answer the question above, First Travel Solutions currently has no involvement withc2c rail replacement.
Thank you. I wasn't sure with the takeover of Ensign whether that contract would move to corporate First.

Greater Anglia is missing from the table above. Their contractor is Abellio/Transport UK.
How on earth did I forget Greater Anglia. Oops. Thank you

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Thank You.

Agency/casual drivers by the rail replacement provider seems to be exclusive to GoAhead. Abellio, Arriva and FTS seem to sub contract everything to another bus operator. Does Abellio have a good amount of casual or agency drivers for their TFL Rail Replacement?

I am hoping that with Abellio having an existing operator database because of them running EMR previously running the West Midlands areas, they will have more local operators in their database and hopefully they will then be able to cover more runs and so it should hopefully see a reduction in the number of times Govia sends out 'Unable to source rail replacement'. Abellio/Transport UK Group also has the benefits of being able to bring in operators who are on the books for Wales and Scotrail for larger blocks if the money is right.
There is, of course, nothing to prevent Abellio continuing to use GoAhead as a subcontractor for work in the relevant areas.