• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail & Sail booking horizon

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWML9102

I'm looking to book Rail & Sail tickets for a trip from South Wales to Dublin via Holyhead in February next year. None of the booking engines appear to have availability beyond the timetable change in early December (they show times, but tickets are unavailable to book). However tickets are available for later dates for the rail only part of the journey, i.e. to Holyhead). Just wondering if anyone knows why this is, and when Rail & Sail tickets beyond Dec 11th are likely to be released?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrJeeves

Established Member
I think the stuff is in the timetable for the sailings, but the Holyhead tickets require mandatory reservations for at least the sailing leg, which will likely follow the same booking horizon as normal tickets too.

SWML9102

I think the stuff is in the timetable for the sailings, but the Holyhead tickets require mandatory reservations for at least the sailing leg, which will likely follow the same booking horizon as normal tickets too.
Thanks for the reply. Yes understand what you say about mandatory reservations being needed for the ferry.

The rail tickets are available to Holyhead now, but if destination is extended to Dublin (to include the ferry) they are not. What I don't get is why the present booking horizon for the combined Rail & Sail is the date of the December railway timetable change. Why would that be if a rail only ticket to Holyhead is available beyond the timetable change?
Maybe I just need to keep checking to see when they become available.

Mainline421

I'm looking to book Rail & Sail tickets for a trip from South Wales to Dublin via Holyhead in February next year. None of the booking engines appear to have availability beyond the timetable change in early December (they show times, but tickets are unavailable to book). However tickets are available for later dates for the rail only part of the journey, i.e. to Holyhead). Just wondering if anyone knows why this is, and when Rail & Sail tickets beyond Dec 11th are likely to be released?
This varies a lot, sometimes it can even be just a couple of days before. No need to worry, though, as I've only ever got them on the day from the ticket office.

My guess is they'll probably start appearing online around January. Right now, https://www.irishferries.com/uk-en/booking/step-1/ shows tickets starting in Ireland available until 4 January.

SWML9102

This varies a lot, sometimes it can even be just a couple of days before. No need to worry, though, as I've only ever got them on the day from the ticket office.

My guess is they'll probably start appearing online around January. Right now, https://www.irishferries.com/uk-en/booking/step-1/ shows tickets starting in Ireland available until 4 January.
Ok, thanks that's good to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.