• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Sail (Dublin) booking horizon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainbike46

Established Member
I don’t know if there’s any requirement to convey foot passengers but numbers are in decline and they’re never going to get back to anything near where they once were. The fact that foot passengers are no longer carried on some services speaks volumes.

I can see an argument for through coach services eg Glasgow to Belfast where the passengers can board the ferry on the coach and technically aren’t food passengers.
Many of the coach passenger on the Belfast-cairnryan ferry board as foot passengers, over the summer there were 4 coach/rail services:

Nolan Coaches (3x per day), board ferry on the coach
Scottish Citylink / Ulsterbus (3x per day), board ferry as a foot passenger via gangway
Stena glasgow daytrip (1x per day summer only), board ferry as a foot passenger via gangway (presumably this was set up this summer in response to overcrowding on the other coach services)
SailRail (2x per day summer, 1x per day year round), board ferry as a foot passenger via gangway

And then there is various foot passengers who don't book it as part of a coach/train journey, overall the numbers of foot passengers appear healthy. I think SailRail in particular suffers from being very unknown, based on the amount of surprised people in Belfast when I mention its existence. On top of that, for many Scottish destinations, at least in the central belt, the coaches are currently a better offering (fewer changes, more times available so more likely to suit travel plans)

Some ferry services have recently started carrying foot passengers, so it is not just a story of reducing availability for foot passengers

For example, Brittany Ferries Rosslare-Bilbao has started taking foot passengers relatively recently

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

berneyarms

Established Member
Good to hear of new sail rail tickets appearing (rather than gradually being cut back which is what usually feels is the trend).

However there are a lot of details to be addressed to make these journeys easier for people to book and carry out, if they are going to be tempted away from flying.

I did Dublin-Holyhead-London a week or so ago using Irish Ferries.

It's not easy to work out how to get to the port from dublin city centre. The Irish ferries website suggests you can use a regular dublin bus service (but provides dead links to the information) and then recommends you use an "express shuttle" run by Nolan's Coaches which is what I attempted to do. You have to navigate your way through some slightly confusing PDF timetables (different on different dates) and work out where the bus stop is (which is not at the bus station or either of the main reason stations).

On the day I tried this the bus simply didn't show up. Two other people were waiting too - we'd all independently come to the conclusion that this was the right place, and a sign at the bus stop confirmed it. Eventually we had to get a taxi at the last minute and just made the ferry. Because we could split the cost it wasn't too bad but if I'd had to pay the taxi fare myself it would have been going on for half the cost of the whole rail-sail ticket to London.

What was worst about this experience was Irish Ferries complete disinterest when I complained (by email) after the event. All they would say was they don't operate the bus so not their problem. I tried to say that maybe they had some responsibility to check that the info on their website is reliable, and that they would have a bit more leverage than I would in following it up with the coach company. But, no interest, computer says no. It certainly left me with the impression that they are not really bothered about the experience of rail-sail passengers.
The reason for the different bus timings on different dates is the fact that the Irish Ferries Swift sailing times change.

The buses switch timings to fit around this.

The bus service is a private commercial service operated by Nolan Coaches.

BRX

Established Member
The reason for the different bus timings on different dates is the fact that the Irish Ferries Swift sailing times change.

The buses switch timings to fit around this.

The bus service is a private commercial service operated by Nolan Coaches.
Or, in my experience, not operated.

bkhtele

Plus generally it is difficult to buy rail sail tickets owing to the reservation system & lack of knowledge of ticket office staff. Easier to go online & book a through coach or plane

BRX

Established Member
Plus generally it is difficult to buy rail sail tickets owing to the reservation system & lack of knowledge of ticket office staff. Easier to go online & book a through coach or plane
Just like international rail travel in general, unfortunately.

berneyarms

Established Member
But you can buy sail/rail tickets online via the Irish Ferries website?

BRX

Established Member
But you can buy sail/rail tickets online via the Irish Ferries website?
If you are in Ireland and want to travel from Dublin port to a UK station their website makes it quite easy. But...

- Not if you want to start at an Irish station - then you have to book several days in advance

- You can't use their website from the UK because you have to be able to pick up your tickets. So if you want to be flexible about your return date, you have to buy that separately through a UK retailer, so you have to find out how to do that as well

- If you want to go Rosslare-Fishguard you can't book online

Similar applies starting from the UK, it's easy enough if you want a UK station to Dublin ticket and know your return plans, but if you want to leave your return open it's not so easy and I'm not sure if you can book through to an Irish station.

Basically if you want to take advantage of Rail/Sail and aren't familiar with it there's quite a bit of research you have to to work out what you need to do. It certainly requires a lot more effort than going to the Ryanair website.

MrJeeves

Established Member
There’s only one sailing a day between Cairnryan and Belfast available to SailRail passengers. There used to be three.
Two during summer season! :D

An additional Sail & Rail departure will operate in each direction between 1 July – 30 September 2023 for the 15:30hrs sailing from Belfast and the 19:30hrs sailing from Cairnryan.

Please note that this may be subject to change.

gpmartin

Thought I'd report back on my experiences on this thread as the OP, in case of interest to anyone searching in future. I was indeed able to book tickets in the end, about six weeks before I travelled, though I decided that an extra £5 each way for an open ticket as opposed to an advance would be a worthwhile investment.

I travelled out on the 20th using EMR to Crewe, TfW to Chester and another TfW train to Holyhead, then the early afternoon Irish Ferries sailing. On the way back I took the Stena Line morning ferry, then an Avanti train from Holyhead to Crewe and EMR back to Tutbury. In both directions the journey went without a hitch. I decided I would take my folding bike. On the way out, the person at the checkin desk for Irish Ferries said that I needed to check it in. I didn't argue, but I was slightly trepidatious. Fortunately it came out the other end unharmed. I think I could have 'smuggled' it on myself without challenge given the way things are set up, but I decided not to. On the way back, Stena were OK with me taking the bike as hand luggage, though the person at the desk told me I would need to keep it close at all times as they were expecting the boat to be busy. It was indeed quite busy, but the bike doesn't take up much space and it was no problem keeping it close.

Cycling from the port into town was fine. It is reasonably well signposted and there are even some cycle lanes, though these are mostly shared pavements with pedestrians. Arriving in Dublin at about 18:00, I'm certain I was much quicker to the south side of the city centre than a bus or a taxi would have been.

In terms of the ferries, Seat61 suggests that the Irish Ferries vessel is the better of the two. For me there was very little in it - they're both pretty large boats, reasonably well equipped, and with space for a stroll as well as good amounts of seating. If anything I had a slight preference for the Stena ferry - it didn't feel any smaller and the wifi was free (only paid options on Irish Ferries as far as I could see). The food also seemed slightly cheaper. There were quite strong winds on the way out, but the Irish Ferries boat felt very steady; I'm not sure whether the Stena boat would have been as secure.

Trains-wise, I was surprised by how busy the mid-morning shuttle between Crewe and Chester was (full and standing!), and the train from Holyhead on the way back also filled up very quickly before a second unit was added at Chester.

Overall it was a good experience. That said, there's no denying that it's a much longer journey than going by plane. It's a day's travel each way, and it was quite tiring. If I was making the trip regularly I'd be tempted by Birmingham or Manchester airports, but for the occasional trip, I'd definitely do it again. It's great value and an interesting journey.

paul1609

Established Member
I did the Birkenhead to Belfast overnight Ferry for the first time last week. It had the most foot passengers I'd seen on a ferry for sometime. Despite splashing out for a cabin I didn't get much sleep and felt a bit of a zombie next day. I flew back from Derry to Heathrow with Loganair. I'm afraid I think flying an absolute no brainier from the south east to Ireland.

Status
Not open for further replies.