• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Simulator - Minimum Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Sorry - From UKTS forum kujuadam.

requirements
Operating System: Windows XP with latest service pack installed / Windows Vista
CPU: XP - Intel Pentium 4/AMD Athlon 1.7 GHz or equivalent; Vista - Intel Pentium 4/AMD Athlon 2.6 GHz or equivalent
RAM: 512 MB
Video Card: 64MB DirectX 9.0c compliant video card, Pixel shader 2.0 and above. (AGP and PCIe only)
Sound Card: - DirectX 9.0c compatible
Hard Drive Space: 4.5 GB of space is required to install the game

In order to play the game as intended, your computer should match or exceed the following recommended system specifications:
Operating system: Windows XP with latest service pack installed / Windows Vista
CPU: Intel Pentium 4/AMD Athlon 3.0 GHz or equivalent
RAM: 1.0GB
Video Card: 256MB DirectX 9.0c compliant video card, Pixel shader 3.0 and above. (AGP and PCIe only)
Sound card: Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ series from Creative Labs
Hard Drive space: 4.5 GB of space is required to install the game.

Sorry.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1D53

Established Member
I'm fine. Mind you I bloody should be only having this PC 18 months!

AMD Athlon 1800MHz, 1GB RAM, Nvidia GEforce 7600GS, 200GB HDD

runs perfectly fine on medium-high settings....

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Ah, my 4 year old heap will just meet the recomended specs, since I've got it slightly overclocked (2.8ghz to just over 3). Only thing below is the sound card, I'm still using a very old (came with the computer before this) sound blaster live. If the sound is good enough for this to be a problem though, it will be worth getting a new one (not like they are expensive, or have compatability problems). Still, can see I'll need to upgrade one of these days, probably be the graphics card that does it since I've got about the best AGP card you can get, and my computer doesn't have PCI-E.

dennis63uk

How do you alter pixel shading on a NVidia 7300gt does anyone know please. Running 256mb on graphics card as still to slow to run KRS even with 512mb memory in processor is 1.7ghz AMD processor

devon_metro

Established Member
Well 1.7Ghz is the Minumum. Your graphics card won't be the problem, its the lack of processing power.

D306

Established Member
finally got my copy. Fred, what you said about 512 being ok, well, it isn't on my computer. At least i'm getting more RAM soon

jjedmunds

My whole PC which I recently made runs at a steady 100fps.

Athlon x64 5600, 2 gig ram, ATI x1950 256mb graphics and 500gb SATA hard drive withan SATA DVD dual layer writer.

That is with all settings set to max and 1600x1200 settings.

This whole set up including a new case set me back less than £300.

richa2002

Established Member
Must be processor intensive by the looks of things then. I have an ATI X1950 Pro 512Mb and would never in a million years get 100FPS on max settings. Have 1.5gb RAM and a 3Ghz processor too...

jjedmunds

The Athlon 5600 is only a dual 2.8ghz processor so a single core 3ghz (excluding celerons as they are attrocious processors) should cope ok.

I know it is very memory intensive I have a matched pair of 1gig sticks of Kingston 1GB DDR2 667MHz/PC2-5300 Ram.

Is your x1950pro an AGP or PCI-E as mine is a PCI-E as mine is just a 256mb x1950 pro as well.

But then again I have my PC totally tunes with no running processes in the background except for the needed windows apps.

I have been a PC engineer for 22 years now and know which processes are needed and which arent, it may be something as simple as tuning the startup of the PC if your spec is similar to mine.

I have found that running this on a pc3200 ram system with an x1950pro AGP card it slows considerably down to about 50/55 fps average.

Hope this helps :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
PS Richard

Great pics on the web site, very impressive!

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I cant work my copy ATM, says an error has occured,

But it does mention that this will happen if you dont have a Nvidiaor some other graphics card. I still have the standard Intel GV in mine, drivers updated and that but wont work anyway.

jjedmunds

Yes Heart Of Wessex you appear to have on board graphics and the game wont run without a graphics card rather than on board graphics.

You will need to get the PC opened up to see if it has an AGP or PCI-E graphics port on the motherboard, if it does not then it wont be able to run at all, but if it does then a £30 card will work if thats all you could afford or check ebay for a second hand one.

If it does have a port its a matter of 2 minutes work to install a graphics card.

Hope this helps.

JJ, Chard Somerset

Demps

There is no point in getting this game unless you can run everything on fun, as the routes arnt all there, and other minimal problems, its the graphics which make the game. Well thats what i think.

Reddog785

Ugh, modern game specs disgust me! this rusty old banger of mine (referring to my PC) was only made in 2005 and won't work with it at all! Guess I'll be ordering a completely new PC for Christmas...:-x

Status
Not open for further replies.