• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail tickets to Hawick/Selkirk

Status
Not open for further replies.

c52

These exist for many places south of Carlisle on brfares.com, those to Manchester Airport valid on Transpennine only. Transpennine accept both towns as legitimate stations but don't offer any fares. NRE and RUK's booking engine don't recognise the town names. I think - I'm no expert - Hawick is not mentioned in the routing guide.

Can the tickets be bought?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tazi Hupefi

223 origins to Hawick available.

Same for Selkirk

Looks like it's only Northern and Avanti West Coast offering fares on some of their flows.

The problem looks to be that the railway has not defined any timetables for services to Selkirk etc - therefore there can be no itinerary produced, as no services are loaded in the data. A ticket office could issue this and perhaps a self service machine - but only if it doesn't require use of a journey planner.

Last edited:

c52

Thank you. I'll try a ticket machine next time I'm near a station.

I didn't know that feature of brfares.

To Manchester Airport all the fares are TPE only and Advance only, so there must be some notion of a service!

infobleep

Veteran Member

223 origins to Hawick available.

Same for Selkirk

Looks like it's only Northern and Avanti West Coast offering fares on some of their flows.

The problem looks to be that the railway has not defined any timetables for services to Selkirk etc - therefore there can be no itinerary produced, as no services are loaded in the data. A ticket office could issue this and perhaps a self service machine - but only if it doesn't require use of a journey planner.
This is why the ability to book without the journey planner is still useful.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
These exist for many places south of Carlisle on brfares.com, those to Manchester Airport valid on Transpennine only. Transpennine accept both towns as legitimate stations but don't offer any fares. NRE and RUK's booking engine don't recognise the town names. I think - I'm no expert - Hawick is not mentioned in the routing guide.

Can the tickets be bought?
Aren't they bus links rather than stations?

Tazi Hupefi

If only there was somewhere you could book tickets like that online…

I don’t always need an itinerary :D
Even if they could be bought online, it's only half of the problem.

Given the extremely low number sold, it's questionable as to whether it would even be accepted on a bus. It's also quite common that a lot of these schemes/agreements with third parties like bus operators have actually expired/been totally forgotten about, and the ticket has absolutely no validity on the bus, although that's the responsibility of the railway, not the bus operator to resolve. Ordinarily you'd have to buy a bus ticket and claim it back from the rail retailer, which probably then results in the bus link being removed or revised.

Dren Ahmeti

Even if they could be bought online, it's only half of the problem.

Given the extremely low number sold, it's questionable as to whether it would even be accepted on a bus. It's also quite common that a lot of these schemes/agreements with third parties like bus operators have actually expired/been totally forgotten about, and the ticket has absolutely no validity on the bus, although that's the responsibility of the railway, not the bus operator to resolve. Ordinarily you'd have to buy a bus ticket and claim it back from the rail retailer, which probably then results in the bus link being removed or revised.
It all comes down to pricing managers being proactive! Definitely agree with you on this.

I’ve used a handful of “special” tickets that undercut a lot of fares, or haven’t been inter-available for yonks!

My favourite “unusual” ticket, I will be happy to admit as it doesn’t undercut anything, is the availability of fares to Long Marston, which I use to go to Rail Live, even though it costs £4.65 more (with a 16-25) than Honeybourne… :D

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
For a while you could get a fare from Galashiels to Hawick. It was the summation of the appropriate fare from Galashiels to Edinburgh plus the bus add on from Edinburgh to Hawick.

Historically there were add ons routed to various Borders towns routed via Berwick, Carlisle, or Edinburgh as appropriate.

Today, it's all a bit of a shambles.

FYI Borders Buses does an excellent 24hr ticket for its complete network for just over £10.

infobleep

Veteran Member
If only there was somewhere you could book tickets like that online…

I don’t always need an itinerary :D
I believe it is possible to do so on the Southern branded Web Site.

I think you saved a favourite journey and that allowed you to book a ticket without an itinerary but don't qoute me.

I suspect that goes against the regulations that online resellers most follow but they are owned by a TOC so it's different.

Last edited:

Dren Ahmeti

I believe it is possible to do so on the Southern branded Web Site.

I think you saved a favourite journey and that allowed you to book a ticket without an itinerary but won't qoute me.

I suspect that goes against the regulations that online resellers most follow but they are owned by a TOC so it's different.
Just tested it, and yes, that works :)

Status
Not open for further replies.