• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail track engineer. Rail futures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railer5555

Hi everyone. Seen a job ad for a track engineer with Rail Futures. Have a few questions before possibly applying.

1) does anyone know what the company is like to work for/reputation? Don’t want a zero hour job or something not secure

2) the qualification is in Level 2 in Railway Engineering. Is that a good qualification to progress in the railways?

3) what is the work like, working on the tracks.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jeffers

Hi

I've not been aware of this organisation before, but the qualifications are City & Guilds standard and they offer to put you through PTS at the end.

So it looks positive because getting your PTS alone would get you work immediately.

Be interesting to know the cost?

Railer5555

Hi

I've not been aware of this organisation before, but the qualifications are City & Guilds standard and they offer to put you through PTS at the end.

So it looks positive because getting your PTS alone would get you work immediately.

Be interesting to know the cost?
It’s a free 6 week course. Just search on Google ‘rail futures’ and their website will come up.

bouff34

Excuse my ignorance and I’ve only had a quick look, where does it say it’s free?

Edit
Wrong person quoted :oops:
.... yep... and where does it say there is a job at the end? Looks like they are simply a training provider????

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Have you got a link? Very unlikely such a course would be free.

CreamNCookies

I was under the impression PTS couldn't be transferred over?

Like if you moved from one TOC to a new employer they wouldn't accepted your PTS from older employer.

Darandio

Established Member
Have you got a link? Very unlikely such a course would be free.

They are one of several training providers that have fast tracked hundreds of blue hats through the system in the past couple of years. They are free but have generally come with the caveat of the learners being unemployed in order to receive the funding. From what I can read on their site there is no job at the end though. Just like the others you will most likely get a sponsor visit during the practical section of the diploma and some numbers to ring once qualified.

1) does anyone know what the company is like to work for/reputation? Don’t want a zero hour job or something not secure

As i've stated above you wouldn't be working for them. To start with you would effectively be zero hour and because of the sheer amount of new starters being put through these courses it's not that easy to secure work. Also be prepared for shift offers miles away from your location and just the odd weekend shift initially.

That said i'd recommend doing the course if you have 6 weeks spare and they will fund the training for you, if a railway career is what you want to do then getting a qualification and a 2 year PTS would be beneficial.

I was under the impression PTS couldn't be transferred over?

Like if you moved from one TOC to a new employer they wouldn't accepted your PTS from older employer.

The PTS is through Sentinel and you can change sponsors.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
They are one of several training providers that have fast tracked hundreds of blue hats through the system in the past couple of years. They are free but have generally come with the caveat of the learners being unemployed in order to receive the funding. From what I can read on their site there is no job at the end though. Just like the others you will most likely get a sponsor visit during the practical section of the diploma and some numbers to ring once qualified.

How does the supplier cover the cost of the training? From Network Rail?

Darandio

Established Member
How does the supplier cover the cost of the training? From Network Rail?

Ones with the unemployment caveat were funded through the DWP.

The provider in question for this thread doesn't have any such caveat for their upcoming training opportunities on the training page. Yet their FAQ page still states funding eligibility is required so i'm not sure if they've made an oversight on the training page or they've secured funding from elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.