• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Traction (or similar) courses available / useful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tiptoptaff

Established Member
It's a familiarisation course for qualified engineers who haven't worked on rolling stock before, to assist them with getting engineering jobs when they come out. It will be of 0 help to someone who isn't a qualified engineer looking to become a rolling stock engineer.

Buel

Thank you.
To broaden my question, other courses are
  • Certificate | EAL Level 3 in Traction and Rolling Stock systems | NTAR 3104

• Train radio and cab safety systems

• Train systems and schematic drawings
There are others too, but my question is would these help an individual with their application? And if so, are there others out there that would also help?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
No, they will not help you in any way. The advice here is always do not read ahead. You will be looking at information that you don't understand and won't know how to apply.

Let the TOCs teach you, if you get that far.

Buel

No, they will not help you in any way. The advice here is always do not read ahead. You will be looking at information that you don't understand and won't know how to apply.

Great advice! Thank you.

Buel

No, they will not help you in any way. The advice here is always do not read ahead.
Although, what I would say, is if two applications were identical and one had showed that they had made independent efforts to become well versed in the rail industry, this must get looked upon more favourably than the one who had not?

Joliver

Although, what I would say, is if two applications were identical and one had showed that they had made independent efforts to become well versed in the rail industry, this must get looked upon more favourably than the one who had not?
It won't help you what so ever. Applicants who have already passed the psychometric tests get rejected at the application (paper sift) stage. I wouldn't waste your time or money.

Buel

Applicants who have already passed the psychometric tests get rejected at the application (paper sift) stage. I wouldn't waste your time or money.
Although the psychometric tests give no indication whatsoever that said applicant has evidenced interest in the rail industry.

Joliver

No, but it saves the TOC they're applying to money as they don't have to put them through the whole process with the OPC and they still get rejected. Surely a psychometric pass outways a non relevant course qualification. Just my opinion, good luck.

Buel

No, but it saves the TOC they're applying to money as they don't have to put them through the whole process with the OPC and they still get rejected. Surely a psychometric pass outways a non relevant course qualification. Just my opinion, good luck.
It does outway it. Good point.

theironroad

Established Member
Those courses listed wouldn't help and generally it's easier to start driver training from a blank sheet.

As most TOCs are really into 'customer service', you'd probably be better getting experience in that and experience of shift work and dealing with situations under pressure.

Railengineer

I tend to agree. NTAR is 50% sponsored by Siemens so it is all about them, rather biased I am afraid

Buel

Those courses listed wouldn't help and generally it's easier to start driver training from a blank sheet.

As most TOCs are really into 'customer service', you'd probably be better getting experience in that and experience of shift work and dealing with situations under pressure.
Wow, the customer service thing is news to me!?! I didn’t think that train drivers get that much exposure to the customers?

theironroad

Established Member
Wow, the customer service thing is news to me!?! I didn’t think that train drivers get that much exposure to the customers?

To be honest, they don't on the whole. My toc don't send drivers on customer service courses unlike some staff, but having a bit of experience can't hurt when trying to get the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.