• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Travel Voucher not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Attempted to use an LNER travel voucher this morning to be told it won't go through, I'm sure I had seen something here about some of theirs not working. Any advice?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TUC

Established Member
I understand that staff have been told to input these manually. That's what has happened with several of mine.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
The guy attempted to input the code but still no good, he said there had been problems with a few.
I've contacted LNER who have said to return them to the free post address and they will reissue them.

Saperstein

This is starting to happen way too frequently.

What would the situation be, if say, a passenger only had RTV’s to pay and no other payment method?

Surely they would be aloud to travel?

Saperstein

Haywain

Veteran Member
The guy attempted to input the code but still no good, he said there had been problems with a few.
I've contacted LNER who have said to return them to the free post address and they will reissue them.
At an LNER station they should have been accepted but, while other TOCs have been advised that they should be, we are all aware of how difficult it is to get a message through to front line staff. The problem that caused some vouchers to be issued in such a way that they would not be correctly recognised in retail systems was resolved some time ago now but there will still be some vouchers in circulation.

gray1404

Established Member
Is it just LNER vouchers this is an issue with or other TOCs too? I'm expecting a WMT/LNW issued rail travel voucher to arrive in the post any day and I'd had to think I'll have problems getting it accepted.

Saperstein

I’ve herd of problems with TPE. I had one and staff at Chester had to input it by hand.

I have two left that expire in July one is Northern for 68p and the other TfW £10.

I don’t anticipate any problems but until I use them I can’t be 100% certain.

Saperstein.

gray1404

Established Member
I stand to be corrected but I've not heard of any problems yet with any issued by WMT/LNW.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
My issue was with an LNER voucher but at a LNWR managed station, interestingly the guy said he didn't know if I'd be able to use the voucher even before he had seen it or tried it. Whilst he was pleasant it was clear that if it didn't work either by scanning or manual entry that he wasn't going to accept it.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
This is starting to happen way too frequently.

What would the situation be, if say, a passenger only had RTV’s to pay and no other payment method?

Surely they would be aloud to travel?

Saperstein

This is an interesting point, and perhaps one I will air in an e-mail to LNWR customer services as it was one of their ticket offices at which I was trying to use the voucher.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Whilst he was pleasant it was clear that if it didn't work either by scanning or manual entry that he wasn't going to accept it.

Surely if the RTV is not defaced in any way then they should accept it - if it doesn't work by scanning or manual entry then that is the TOCs problem not yours?

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Surely if the RTV is not defaced in any way then they should accept it - if it doesn't work by scanning or manual entry then that is the TOCs problem not yours?
Indeed my thoughts, I wasn't too bothered at the time but became more irritated as the day went on! LNER have offered to swap them but I'll still no doubt have to wait for them to get around to it!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's a valid payment method, so has to be accepted. If they choose not to accept it they could issue an unpaid fares notice for the fare due, or they could allow free travel.

janb

Is it just LNER vouchers this is an issue with or other TOCs too?

There is a certain batch number that is bad, so it has affected Northern, TPE, LNER that I've heard of and probably others as well.

Northern stations have been briefed and should accept. As Haywain says LNER likewise. I'm not sure what level of briefing/instruction LNWR stations have had.

Belperpete

Established Member
I had some RTV which the guard had trouble scanning. Phoned for advice, and told to issue the ticket as a cash purchase, and pay the vouchers in with the cash.

gray1404

Established Member
I had some RTV which the guard had trouble scanning. Phoned for advice, and told to issue the ticket as a cash purchase, and pay the vouchers in with the cash.

You'd think that's what a ticket office would do as well. Then the Accounts department can work on the voucher to get the funds from the issuing TOC.

Saperstein

You'd think that's what a ticket office would do as well. Then the Accounts department can work on the voucher to get the funds from the issuing TOC.

Too much hard work for some of them it would seem.

And of course it’s the poor old pax that suffers more inconvenience as it stands to reason that that said pax would have already had issues at some point otherwise they wouldn’t be holding an RTV in the first place!

Saperstein.

Mathieu

It's a valid payment method, so has to be accepted. If they choose not to accept it they could issue an unpaid fares notice for the fare due, or they could allow free travel.
Is there anything in the NRToC to back this up? Cheers

Haywain

Veteran Member
Curious to know what customers rights are if they want to purchase a ticket with RTVs but then want a refund? (assuming it’s within the hour of purchase at the same station)
Not sure what an hour has to do with it, but refunds are normally to the same method of payment. In certain circumstances the retailer can refund to an alternative MoP at their discretion and with the agreement of the customer.

Mathieu

Not sure what an hour has to do with it, but refunds are normally to the same method of payment. In certain circumstances the retailer can refund to an alternative MoP at their discretion and with the agreement of the customer.
There’s no £10 admin fee for refunds if it’s within the first hour of purchasing

Haywain

Veteran Member
There’s no £10 admin fee for refunds if it’s within the first hour of purchasing
Really? You were asking what the customer's rights are, and I see no mention of that int he Conditions of Travel.

Mathieu

Really? You were asking what the customer's rights are, and I see no mention of that int he Conditions of Travel.
Not sure with other ToCs but it’s a £10 admin fee if you want to refund a ticket and it’s 1 hour past purchase time

Haywain

Veteran Member
Not sure with other ToCs but it’s a £10 admin fee if you want to refund a ticket and it’s 1 hour past purchase time
Some TOCs, by using their discretion, allow a refund without the admin fee within an hour (or other internally specified time) of purchase but there is no right to this - this is normally because they are using the non-issue process. However, if you change your mind the retailer is entitled to charge an admin fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.