• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

rail union blames fumes after 8 diagnosed with cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpthomson

I think the bit I have highlighted is the bit that jumped out at me the most. By no means am I suggesting that diesel fumes are good for anyone, but it appears that Unite have created a story here based on this being a possible cause of these unfortunate people getting this vile disease. Hasn't it been reported previously that the UK had reached rates of 1 in 2 people being likely to contract a form of cancer in their lifetime? The improvements in cancer research and the development of treatments has been staggering over the years but it will take generations before it can be completely controlled (if that ever becomes the case) and unfortunately that means we will all be faced with it in one way or the other during our lifetimes - whether that be our own battle or helping others through theirs.

Yes, its horrible and yes we all should do whatever we can to reduce the likelihood of ending up with it, but I can't see how people can lay the blame entirely at the door of one organisation/industry and I definitely can't see it holding up on a legal level.

The reason for the proportion rising to 1:2 is mostly around increased longevity rather than any increase in cancer frequency, if that makes sense?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hwl

Established Member
The reason for the proportion rising to 1:2 is mostly around increased longevity rather than any increase in cancer frequency, if that makes sense?
And decreases in other causes:
  • in heart /circulatory issues with healthier eating (in most cases) and less smoking.
  • infant mortality
  • lower accident rates (traffic and industrial)

mpthomson

My ex and her family are from that part of Cumbria. The gist of the argument was always that post-1990 rates of leukaemia didn't match the higher pre-1990 rates of leukaemia, so it must have been pure coincidence.

The fact that Calder Hall and Windscale had extremely shonky safety records (not least the fire in 1957) but they did improve after 1990 as the oldest parts of the site were decommissioned, never appears to be mentioned. It's almost as though the government agency peddling the "random cluster" line is entirely staffed by people involved in the nuclear industry...

That said, we are starting to understand more about viruses causing cancer (e.g. HPV, and feline leukaemia for that matter) so the theory about population shift (a new one on me) would seem plausible. It would, however, also disprove the cluster being "random".

It's almost as though people who know what they're talking about and aren't controlled by UK Govt PLC say there's no link between Sellafield, Calder Hall etc and leukaemia rates in the area. There was an article in the Lancet from the turn of the 19th/20th century that remarked on the prevalence of childhood leukaemia around the area of Seascale.

Greenpeace's court case re this got thrown out as there was no evidence to support their claims and plenty that didn't
And decreases in other causes:
  • in heart /circulatory issues with healthier eating (in most cases) and less smoking.
  • infant mortality
  • lower accident rates (traffic and industrial)

As I said, increased longevity.

Edders23

Dare I suggest this should mean a revisit of filthy DMUs left running in Birmingham New Street, if this is proven to prove a serious health hazard to passengers and platform staff alike?

It is possible to fit abatement equipment which would reduce the level of particulates further but modern DMU's don't generate anywhere near the levels of particulates that 1950's/60's design engines did. Everyone has decided diesels are the enemy but quite often it is the fuel they burn as much as the design of the engine which is the cause

If there was a concerted effort to adopt improved standards for fuel (albeit making it 10 to 15 percent more expensive) along with adoption of the most modern pollution control technology idling engines would pose only a small health risk because the particulates would be almost nil

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Trawling the internet I think the best estimate I can get (from a Rail mag item) is 200 staff, mostly older than 50. 8 cancers in 6 years seems actually about what you'd expect, unless anyone has better grasp of the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.