• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Vision 2030 - The Future of Rail Transport in Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tivoli

Last weekend spent a very enjoyable evening in a pub in Dublin with some guys who worked for some local authority/government agency responsible for transport in the Dublin area. Although not being made redundant, their department which had been responsible for planning of Dart underground, Metro & Luas extensions etc. was being disbanded; hence their celebration in the pub!

Most of the plans have been put on ice, and although the pub atmosphere was great, I could sense the frustration that so much work has been suspended and indeed some of it may never come to fruition, particularly on the underground, where some of the existing preparation is time limited. I believe many involved have already left to work on Crossrail in London.

So, I can't help reading the new 2030 report with some scepticism that anything will happen. although I appreciate the importance of the report. I am not sufficiently aware of the cost of these projects to know how the cost of the upgrades needed would compare with the Dublin projects, but the money isn't there at the moment and so many people doubt that it will be there in the near future,

Cyberbeagle

Nice to see Belfast-Dublin poo-pooed! Wondering if the Stormont and Dail wans will notice? Maybe that's the "wider policies" bit...? And also very rich from Irish Rail, given that the slow line speeds on the line are usually due to their local services taking up room!

Especially since Translink seem to think electrification will be needed at some point...

Dublin-Belfast: If journey times can be reliably reduced to 2 hours with a limited set of
investments, then such spending is justified. Additionally, as extra rolling stock is likely to be available in the short term, the introduction of an hourly service should be considered. Predicted levels of travel between Dublin and Belfast by all modes are not high enough to justify the cost of electrifying the line. This remains true even if electrification is postponed to when rolling stock is being renewed, although this should be kept under review in the context of wider policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.