• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railair - on-line booking only?

Gloster

Established Member
Just had (indirectly) a query from someone about Heathrow-Guildford/Woking Railair. Is it only booking on line Internet/’phone or is there an alternative. I presume that there is no railway booking office at Heathrow, but can you buy from the driver and, if so, is it only as far as Guildford and you must rebook there?

Also, are you tied to a particular bus, or can you buy and print out a ticket before you fly to Heathrow that will still be valid on an earlier or later bus? If so is this any day open or a specific day?

I understand that the person is coming longhaul and will not be bringing a ‘phone. They could print out a ticket before leaving and present it on the bus, but they might be delayed.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iggy12a

It is perfectly acceptable to buy a ticket from the bus driver to Guildford or Woking.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Just had (indirectly) a query from someone about Heathrow-Guildford/Woking Railair. Is it only booking on line Internet/’phone or is there an alternative. I presume that there is no railway booking office at Heathrow, but can you buy from the driver and, if so, is it only as far as Guildford and you must rebook there?

Also, are you tied to a particular bus, or can you buy and print out a ticket before you fly to Heathrow that will still be valid on an earlier or later bus? If so is this any day open or a specific day?

I understand that the person is coming longhaul and will not be bringing a ‘phone. They could print out a ticket before leaving and present it on the bus, but they might be delayed.
Is the journey from Heathrow just to Guildford (or Woking), or is there a subsequent rail journey?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
It is perfectly acceptable to buy a ticket from the bus driver to Guildford or Woking.
Indeed. However I do not think they accept cash. I used to be a frequent user of this service to Woking.

Of course, wider rail itineraries are available as through tickets.

Gloster

Established Member
Is the journey from Heathrow just to Guildford (or Woking), or is there a subsequent rail journey?

No, she will be coming straight down to the Isle of Wight and returning two or three days later, probably directly from the island, but that isn’t certain. (It is for the funeral somewhere in the Salisbury area of the young woman’s childhood friend/(ex-)boyfriend, so she is coming back to the island to her family, then going with them to the funeral and then hurrying back to Heathrow, although I don’t know if she will go direct from the funeral to the airport or spend another night on the island. I have not asked more than than the minimum questions as the two families are close.)

Titfield

Established Member
My experience of rail air has not been good. Firstly the pay the driver fares are higher than the fares shown on the somewhat ambiguous website, secondly afaik the drivers only sell tickets to / from the destinations the coach serves ie not onward destinations, thirdly judging by their twitter feed they suffer reliability and punctuality issues.

Gloster

Established Member
So it looks as though she can buy a ticket to Woking/Guildford on the bus at Heathrow with a card and eventually get to a station where she will have to buy a new ticket on to Ryde Esplanade. She might be delayed, but this is still probably quicker than going into London and out again. That is what I will pass on; it is an emergency journey: price and convenience come second.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Indeed. However I do not think they accept cash. I used to be a frequent user of this service to Woking.

Of course, wider rail itineraries are available as through tickets.
The fares page of the website claims cash is an acceptable form of payment, so it would be interesting to know if they’ve stopped cash acceptance but failed to update that for intending customers.

You can purchase a ticket online in advance of travelling to receive the best value fare.

You can also buy a ticket onboard our coaches using cash, contactless, Apple Pay or Google Pay.

Book online today to get the best value fares compared to when purchasing from one of our friendly drivers on the day of travel.

We accept 2x bag/suitcase (30kg each plus hand luggage) per person. Additional bags/cases to be charged individually at £5 per bag.
Source: https://www.railair.com/plan-journey/fares