• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railcard £12 limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

boabt

Since the fares changed this year, my daily Scotrail commute jumped to £12.50, above the £12 minimum fare for Railcard discounts, and for some reason, I started getting the full discount (1/3 off) making the ticket around £8.30

That seems to no longer be the case this morning with the minimum fare of £12 kicking in again.

Anyone know if this was a deliberate decision or if they were just mistakenly applying the railcard discount before?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Since the fares changed this year, my daily Scotrail commute jumped to £12.50, above the £12 minimum fare for Railcard discounts, and for some reason, I started getting the full discount (1/3 off) making the ticket around £8.30

That seems to no longer be the case this morning with the minimum fare of £12 kicking in again.

Anyone know if this was a deliberate decision or if they were just mistakenly applying the railcard discount before?
The railcard discount (at least on 16-25 Railcards, may be different for others) has no minimum fare during July and August. Today is the 1st September so the minimum fare will have come back on.

Haywain

Veteran Member

Presumably, you are using a 16-25 Railcard? If that's the case, the minimum fare doesn't apply during July and August. Today, unfortunately for you, is September!

boabt

Ah, mine is a Veterans one. I presume it has the same feature then.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ah, mine is a Veterans one. I presume it has the same feature then.
Correct!

4.7 The Veterans Railcard has a minimum fare that applies from 04.30 and 09.59 Monday to Friday. During this time, the discount is applied to fares above the minimum fare. This minimum fare does not apply to:

4.7.1 Advance tickets; or

4.7.2 journeys on public holidays; or

4.7.3 journeys during July and August.

At the time of printing, the minimum fare is £12. The minimum fare is subject to change during the validity of your Railcard – check the website for the most up to date information.

(I quite like the way that the text has clearly been copied from the leaflet without anyone thinking to amend it to reflect that it is on the website :lol:)

boabt

At least it gives me an excuse to ride First Class then, since it’ll cost me the same as Standard :p

Mark J

Presumably, you are using a 16-25 Railcard? If that's the case, the minimum fare doesn't apply during July and August. Today, unfortunately for you, is September!
Would be nice if the just as expensive to purchase Network Railcard had the same perk as this.

Unfortunately not all of us in the 'squeezed middle' for rail travel (over 30 and under 60) are that well off.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Would be nice if the just as expensive to purchase Network Railcard had the same perk as this.

Unfortunately not all of us in the 'squeezed middle' for rail travel (over 30 and under 60) are that well off.

Maybe not, but you're better off than those in the 'forgotten bottom'...

Status
Not open for further replies.