• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railcard price

ParanDark

Does anyone know why railcard prices haven't increased since 2013? As it seems odd to me, that in the post-covid environment they haven't increased the prices of railcards as it would be a quick way to generate tens of millions of pounds. This may be odd question to ask and odd wanting to have a price increase but I prefer the railway to be in a healthy financial position

I can only assume that is due to the Dft/Treasury not conducting a full scale ticket reform which simplifies the system and has price adjustments based on modern demand. Due to this, its a way to make sure the public still travels via rail since it a known entity and has less risk compared to ticket reform, even with the horrendous ticketing system & the annual price increases that where reguarly well above CPI, well until recently.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
it would be a quick way to generate tens of millions of pounds.
Really? Or might that be offset by people not buying a railcard and/or travelling less. That said, it is a long time since there has been an increase and going up to £40 now would only be keeping pace with past inflation when an element of protection against future inflation would be ideal. I suspect the railway and ministers wouldn't currently have much of an appetite for the adverse publicity an increase would generate as most of those affected would be in lower income groups (under 26 and over 60).

island

Veteran Member
The headline price hasn't gone up, although 5+ years ago there were almost always 10 or 20% off discount codes available for the official site, which seem to have dried up.

Titfield

Established Member
Trainline does an offer from time to time but it is digital cards only.

Envoy

Established Member
If you increase the price, it is possible that those people who don’t travel on the railway very much, will simply not buy the card and will use their cars instead.

stuartl

How many railcards are issued each year ? £10 increase would need 100,000 railcards to bring in an extra £1 million.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Does anyone know why railcard prices haven't increased since 2013? As it seems odd to me, that in the post-covid environment they haven't increased the prices of railcards as it would be a quick way to generate tens of millions of pounds. This may be odd question to ask and odd wanting to have a price increase but I prefer the railway to be in a healthy financial position
For what it's worth, the SNCF equivalent of NRE's Senior Railcard (Carte Avantage Senior) is €49 annually.
And the discount is often just 25%, so not as attractive as our 1/3 off.
There's a variable discount on TER services.

By contrast, seniors get 50% discount without needing a card in Norway, Finland and Portugal.
Renfe wants €6 for its Tarjeta Dorada (25-40% off).
I think all these are government schemes linked to state retirement age rather than being a railway initiative.

ParanDark

How many railcards are issued each year ? £10 increase would need 100,000 railcards to bring in an extra £1 million.
There are at least 242,770 Disabled Persons Railcards which is the only one that gets regularly tracked data released by the ORR. I remember seeing 1 million figure several years ago for senior railcards and there are likely hundreds of thousands for each time. If i had to guess about 2 million? So a £10 increase would generate about £20 million, while this is still a small sum, it isn't one that can be overlooked. Now whether all those railcard owners use them or not is different. For those that use the card, I doubt you will anything more than minimal decrease in travel if the price increased due to the large savings which have increased every year since 2013.

There are other ways to go about it as the previous poster alludes to, you could link railcards to state retirement age but I believe that would be more unpopular than a straight price increase.

The question mainly seeing a quick way to generate revenue with minimal impact upon rail usage as long as price rise is kept to inflation or slightly above so up to £15.

Haywain

Veteran Member
There are other ways to go about it as the previous poster alludes to, you could link railcards to state retirement age but I believe that would be more unpopular than a straight price increase.
The proposal was about bringing more money in, so I'm not sure how that change would be effective.

ParanDark

The proposal was about bringing more money in, so I'm not sure how that change would be effective.
It brings more money by increasing the number of passengers that would be paying normal fare rather than a discount fare, though for the retirement age proposal you would notice a a more noticeable decrease in passengers as the price difference would be significant but it would still generate greater revenue. Techncially it would make it fairer as well but that was not the objective of the question.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
It brings more money by increasing the number of passengers that would be paying normal fare rather than a discount fare, though for the retirement age proposal you would notice a a more noticeable decrease in passengers as the price difference would be significant but it would still generate greater revenue. Techncially it would make it fairer as well but that was not the objective of the question.
The better question to ask is why we don’t have a national railcard.

moonarrow458

Whilst of course everyone is free to their own opinions, this post is really smacks of privilege and shows a real lack of understanding for poorer rail users, for whom such an increase would be detrimental.

And im not being hyperbolic when i say a £10 increase could be detrimental; i know of university students who due to the size (or lack thereof) of their maintenance loan, in combination with high rents can barely afford to survive even despite having part time jobs on the side of their studies. One such student friend told me she had £15 to last her a whole month for all daily living costs once rent had been paid.

No doubt there will be other groups, including pensioners, who are living on the edge of destitution for whom a £10 increase even if its just a once a year payment increase, is a week worth of skipped meals. So perhaps rather than overly worrying about the finances of the railway, you might do well to consider the needs of railcard users, many of whom are living well below the breadline. For a poor uni student that £10 increase could be the difference between coming home for Christmas and not at all.

And thats before we consider that british rail fares are often far higher than the continental equivalent, where in many cases there is an automatic discount given to young adults, students and pensioners. Whilst in the UK these groups need to pay upfront £30 to even acess discounted fares that would be free on many parts of mainland Europe, whilst also on average paying higher fares as well. So i'd question whether the lack of increase in the railcard price is a good deal or whether rail users in the UK are just getting fleeced a bit less than usual. Remember also that poorer groups often dont have the privillege and luxury of a car so the train is the only option for travel, certainly in areas with non existant buses.
So yes feel free to ask questions as you wish but do be aware that this can come across as quite insensitive to those in precarious financial circumstances.
There are at least 242,770 Disabled Persons Railcards which is the only one that gets regularly tracked data released by the ORR. I remember seeing 1 million figure several years ago for senior railcards and there are likely hundreds of thousands for each time. If i had to guess about 2 million? So a £10 increase would generate about £20 million, while this is still a small sum, it isn't one that can be overlooked. Now whether all those railcard owners use them or not is different. For those that use the card, I doubt you will anything more than minimal decrease in travel if the price increased due to the large savings which have increased every year since 2013.

The question mainly seeing a quick way to generate revenue with minimal impact upon rail usage as long as price rise is kept to inflation or slightly above so up to £15.
Disabled people are amongst the most vulnerable people in society and you want to increase their already higher than the normal persons living costs, bearing in mind that many disabled people will not be able to drive, the train is the only feasible option for them to be able to get around. And lets not forget that there are thousands of disabled people wrongfully denied PIP who really are struggling to get by. Just because you could afford such an increase doesnt mean others could. Please actually take a moment to consider the effect of your ideas on those who aren't as privilleged as you.

skyhigh

Established Member
There are at least 242,770 Disabled Persons Railcards which is the only one that gets regularly tracked data released by the ORR. I remember seeing 1 million figure several years ago for senior railcards and there are likely hundreds of thousands for each time. If i had to guess about 2 million? So a £10 increase would generate about £20 million, while this is still a small sum, it isn't one that can be overlooked.
So seeing as you mention Disabled Persons Railcards and a £10 increase, what harm would be done in balance by the inevitable headlines of "vulnerable rail users hit by overnight 50% price hike"?

Skymonster

Established Member
I would tollerate a £10 increase a one year / three year railcard - taking it to £40/£80. However, I would start to think more carefully about a railcard’s value to me if the three year went up by £10/year to £100. I don’t NEED a railcard but I enjoy travel by train, especially fairly frequent days out during which I almost invariably sample adult beverage or two (not large quantities but enough to rule out using a car). A substantial railcard price hike would mean I wouldn’t renew, lifting fares to levels I would consider “not worth it”, and almost certainly result in a substantial decrease in my annual rail spend.

I remember seeing 1 million figure several years ago for senior railcards and there are likely hundreds of thousands for each time. If i had to guess about 2 million? So a £10 increase would generate about £20 million, while this is still a small sum, it isn't one that can be overlooked.
You make an arguably dangerous assumption that everyone who holds a Senior Railcard would just suck up the price increase and carry on renewing them. For someone like me who would seriously question whether a more expensive railcard offered value for money (its not about affordability, its about value), and decided not to renew, the industry would lose as much £30 per annum from the get go and even more when the loss of revenue from discounted fares is also taken into consideration.

Last edited: