• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railnet (dates required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdeaves

Established Member
Around the year 2000 saw the start of what was supposed to be a super-efficient rail-based Royal Mail distribution system known as Railnet. It served terminals at:
  • Bristol Parkway
  • Dallam (Warrington)
  • Doncaster
  • Low Fell (Newcastle)
  • Princess Royal Distribution Centre (PRDC) (Willesden)
  • Shieldmuir
  • Stafford
  • Tonbridge
Once upon a time I had a record of the dates they were in use but have lost it (and suitable source material). The only information I can find now is that Bristol Parkway opened 15 May 2000 and subsequently closed 20 February 2004 (I doubt Royal Mail recouped the £30m spent on this site!), and PRDC opened in 1996.

Does anyone have full date details, please? I am only after the rail traffic details (i.e. although it may be interesting, I am not concerned for this if the building was used for road traffic after rail traffic ceased).

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarkyT

Established Member
In 1996, new relay interlocking was commissioned in the existing equipment building for the Stoke Gifford area. Completely new racks were built alongside the old in the spacious accommodation, instead of trying to modify the existing wiring to cater for the new mail terminal layout. The work also addressed some wiring condition concerns about the old installation. The Western Region E10k style interlocking design was followed, talking to the old Bristol Panel wiring, altered as required. By virtue of upgrading the up loop and provision of the new terminal road to full passenger status, enabled the introduction of the additional up platform, after the mail terminal had closed. Resignalled again with modern equipment throughout today, in connection with electrification.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
In 1996, new relay interlocking was commissioned in the existing equipment building for the Stoke Gifford area. Completely new racks were built alongside the old in the spacious accommodation, instead of trying to modify the existing wiring to cater for the new mail terminal layout. The work also addressed some wiring condition concerns about the old installation. The Western Region E10k style interlocking design was followed, talking to the old Bristol Panel wiring, altered as required. By virtue of upgrading the up loop and provision of the new terminal road to full passenger status, enabled the introduction of the additional up platform, after the mail terminal had closed. Resignalled again with modern equipment throughout today, in connection with electrification.

And famously, EWS objected to the Network Change for the work that was being delivered for their customer.

MarkyT

Established Member
And famously, EWS objected to the Network Change for the work that was being delivered for their customer.
Didn't know that. One hand of the organisation not knowing what the other was doing by the sounds of it. Perhaps not surprising they lost the whole contract a few years later!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Didn't know that. One hand of the organisation not knowing what the other was doing by the sounds of it. Perhaps not surprising they lost the whole contract a few years later!

Standard procedure for them at that point.

ExRes

Established Member
I know I've got some info somewhere or other, the only thing I can put my finger on at the moment is 30 September 1996 being the opening day for the PRDC

ExRes

Established Member
Still can't find anything concrete but I have come across an article from Rail Issue 810 28th September 2016, one section states "... dedicated Railnet terminals were opened at Shieldmuir, Low Fell, Doncaster, Warrington, Stafford, Tonbridge and Bristol Parkway. The Bristol facility was the last to come on stream in May 2000" and another "The last TPO train reached its destination on January 10 2004, with just a few residual services for pre-sorted mail continuing into February. The PRDC at Willesden was retained for road traffic, as were terminals at Warrington and Shieldmuir, but other depots were abandoned"

If I do come across any more info I'll post it, I managed to tunnel out of Camp EWS late 2000 so wasn't around to see the final results of the appalling mismanagement presided over by the Burkhardt inspired cronies

Status
Not open for further replies.