• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railtalk Magazine - Is SWF The Way Forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Hi All,

This post is to let you know that Issue 29 of Railtalk Magazine now available to download.

http://www.railtalkmagazine.co.uk/magazine/issue29.pdf

Or the high quality version

http://www.railtalkmagazine.co.uk/magazine/issue29high.pdf

We are trying something new this month, to us anyway, which is an SWF format of the magazine. This is basically an edition which can be viewed online or the file can be downloaded and viewed just like a pdf, using a browser window (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc)
To obtain this edition, click here:

http://www.railtalk.org.uk/magazine/issue29.swf

As you may notice from when you click the link, to view online, the magazine does not instantly appear, so please be patient, and don’t worry we are not going to dispense with the existing pdf versions, but we would like to have your feedback on this technology. (If you have trouble viewing the magazine once it has downloaded, then right click your mouse button and select “show all”.)

Please.. We ask like every big change to the magazine, that we have your feedback, and find out what are your thoughts so please contact us at the address below.

The link to the website is:
http://www.railtalkmagazine.co.uk/

The magazine can be read using any pdf software, however, we recommend the latest version of Adobe Reader which can be downloaded from
www.adobe.com

On our website you can also find links to all the back issues of the magazine and you will also find Railtalk Forums.

We welcome contributions from readers, either in the form of news or photographs, and all contributions should be forwarded to [email protected]

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eezypeazy

I enjoyed the swf version.

On this screen, the text was readable in "show all", but it wasn't comfortable. Zooming in seems to just centre the page; I couldn't work out how to scroll left and right, or up and down.

Ditto navigating the mag. It took a while to realise that the up and down arrows turn the pages.

On the subject of navigatioon, I also didn't know when I'd come to the end. Could you add page numbering, please?

But, overall, one of the best efforts I've seen in producing a magazine in this format.

Well done!

Regards

eezypeazy

laseandre

Established Member
Left and right arrows also navigate, as does clicking the respective lower corners.

xc170

As usual there are some stunning pictures in there, well done!

Adam

Julian G

Established Member
The swf format is excellent! I really liked the features you have used in the magazine this month :)

BJMorley

Hi yes thank you, did you not get my email, to even them out i am putting your in the next issue.

Thanks

Andy

Nope, no email, other than the one telling me that there's a new issue in!!
Brandon

Andy

Nope, no email, other than the one telling me that there's a new issue in!!
Brandon

Hi Brandon,

Sorry, there must be a problem with out server then, as a few people have said they have not received emails sorry.

Your letter will certainly be included in the next issue!

Sorry

D306

Established Member
Glad to see my photo made the deadline. The SWF format is quite good actually. I'd rather use the SWF format than the pdf format

Pumbaa

Established Member
Yup - much better Andy! And I liked the letters section personally; added a nice touch!

Gizmogle

Established Member
Am I the only one who can't seem to open the SWF? I'm a Firefox user, but when it asks me to download it, the only thing I can open it with is some old SWF player that I downloaded months ago which really doesn't do the magazine justice. If I select to open it in Firefox, it just starts the download process again.

Andy

The only thing i can add to the post above is to try updating/reinstalling flash/shockwave

Status
Not open for further replies.