• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railtours running on the main line with or without a diesel at the back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like watching videos of steam trains on Youtube - particularly GWR-hauled steam trains, but then I'm biased!
Sometimes, I see a diesel engine idling along at the back and sometimes not.

Yesterday I saw a Deltic-hauled train with a diesel bringing up the rear!

What determines whether a diesel is required as a backup for mainline running?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

StripeyNick

S
I like watching videos of steam trains on Youtube - particularly GWR-hauled steam trains, but then I'm biased!

Often they are there for insurance purposes. Sometimes they are there to provide power for heating but the they are often there to assist with shunt moves at the final destination.

For example, all steam tours that come to Cardiff turn on the Maindee triangle at Newport en route as it saves a path for having to turn a loco during the tour's layover. This means that whatever loco is on the back will haul the train into Cardiff. It's a bit of a shame they do that now as it means we've lost the sight of a steam loco arriving into Central

12LDA28C

Established Member

Various factors determine the need for a loco on the rear of a charter train. Often a diesel is left on the rear to assist with shunt/reversal of the charter or its associated ECS moves. If the train is steam-hauled and the stock is not steam-heated then the diesel will be on the rear to provide train supply. Finally, a diesel is often left on the rear, or tucked in behind the train engine as insurance in case of failure, or on occasions such as when due to fire risk a steam loco is only permitted to operate 'in light steam' with the diesel doing much of the work.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Generally, operator preference. Sometimes it can be customer requested or very rarely a requirement imposed by NR if there is a particular risk (e.g. Lineside fire for steam or adhesion problems in autumn). It is also possible for a diesel to 'shadow' the tour to provide insurance without the need for it to be in the consist but this runs the risk of getting other trains between the tour and the backup.
For example, all steam tours that come to Cardiff turn on the Maindee triangle at Newport en route as it saves a path for having to turn a loco during the tour's layover. This means that whatever loco is on the back will haul the train into Cardiff. It's a bit of a shame they do that now as it means we've lost the sight of a steam loco arriving into Central
Some tours still run the loco light to Maindee to turn between the tour, or certainly did pre-COVID. However it's all down to cost and capacity.

StripeyNick

Generally, operator preference. Sometimes it can be customer requested or very rarely a requirement imposed by NR if there is a particular risk (e.g. Lineside fire for steam or adhesion problems in autumn). It is also possible for a diesel to 'shadow' the tour to provide insurance without the need for it to be in the consist but this runs the risk of getting other trains between the tour and the backup.

Some tours still run the loco light to Maindee to turn between the tour, or certainly did pre-COVID. However it's all down to cost and capacity.
We haven't had a move with a light loco around the Maindee triangle for quite some time....... certainly not since COVID times

Status
Not open for further replies.