• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway engineers - rolling stock (calling all)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosch91

Hello all, fairly brief post.

I have been offered a job repairing and maintaining rolling stock and locomotives for a well known operator.

Would be keen to hear from others that are working in tmd’s regarding conditions, working practices and generally all round weather they enjoy it.

For reference my background is marine engineering mainly rebuilding high speed and medium speed engines , uk and aboard.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spurs1961

Where i worked conditions were good and pay was also good, only thing to keep in mind is whether you will get the chance to progress as speaking for myself i used to get bored doing exams on rolling stock and was happier when I was doing fault finding and outstations but this was my preference.
Good luck.

Nym

Established Member
I'll gloss over that it's a fitter / tech inspector role, not engineering.
Will agree with the above, make sure there is a path out of it, you generally end up very well paid for the work that any progression means a pay cut.

Bosch91

Where i worked conditions were good and pay was also good, only thing to keep in mind is whether you will get the chance to progress as speaking for myself i used to get bored doing exams on rolling stock and was happier when I was doing fault finding and outstations but this was my preference.
Good luck.
Yep that did cross my mind, I was sort of approached as I currently do a lot of work on rail power. Have been promised I would be mainly on heavy maintenance or engine work.

I have been doing it for some time now and for the most part I do enjoy it. It can be quite monotonous sometimes and often fast paced.

Is there anything specific you would like to know?

Desiro123

Depends where you are and who you work for I guess, and also how willing you are to do different things. Where I am, we have some people who solely do exam work, but there are a few of us who hold additional competencies, like crane operation, forklift driving, bogie drop operation, shunt driving and a few other bits and bobs. It's up to you what you want to make of it. The hours will be long, but it is usually very well paid

Status
Not open for further replies.