• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway film locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin51

Talking pictures has shown the Scotland Yard episode The White Cliffs Mystery again which has a lot of railway shots but where is the tunnel and the through station. You can see it here https://railwaymoviedatabase.com/the-white-cliffs-mystery/ The author is equally mystified. A tunnel like that with a juntion must be easy to identify. Pre 1961 non electrified and traveling at speed. Any ideas?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
Salisbury Tunnel Junction, scene just over a year ago of a significant accident. The thread on here about that has multiple current photographs of the location. Link here.

Kevin51

Salisbury was the only place that I could think of but doubted it for two reasons. On the actual film there a standard 4 or 5 entering the tunnel at very high speed and the N15 exiting the tunnel again a very high speed. The tunnel is too close to Salisbury station I would have thought to be going at such a speed. The other reason on a map it looks like main line is on a curve but there was no indication of a curve on the film.

Gloster

Established Member
Salisbury was the only place that I could think of but doubted it for two reasons. On the actual film there a standard 4 or 5 entering the tunnel at very high speed and the N15 exiting the tunnel again a very high speed. The tunnel is too close to Salisbury station I would have thought to be going at such a speed. The other reason on a map it looks like main line is on a curve but there was no indication of a curve on the film.

The tunnel portal is the east end not the west. The photo of the box and the two of the tunnel are almost certainly taken from the same spot. At the east end there is a short section of straight track on the London line before it reached the box. Believe me, I looked out of that box window seen in the firat shot towards the tunnel plenty of times. And could they have speeded the film up a bit? Coming out of Salisbury London trains would be getting what speed they could up before they hit Porton Bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.