• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

xotGD

Established Member
If I start by guessing '1' and keep going, how many posts until I get the answer?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
Thank you. Sticking with names and numbers, which Class 20 was named River Rother?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thank you. Sticking with names and numbers, which Class 20 was named River Rother?
20064? And I think the other Tinsley green one was 20032 ‘River Sheiff’ or something like that?

DerekC

Established Member
What were the 2 names and 1 number of the 3 locomotives involved in the Sutton Tunnel accident that occurred after the Chester Cup in 1851?
If that’s a rubbish question happy for it be skipped and someone else have a go.

Not at all a rubbish question - I had a very happy time reading the accident report. What a tale of early railway cockups! However I will let the team get back to happily guessing the names on the sides of tin boxes. <D

xotGD

Established Member
Not at all a rubbish question - I had a very happy time reading the accident report. What a tale of early railway cockups! However I will let the team get back to happily guessing the names on the sides of tin boxes. <D
I've told you the name - it is the number we are after!!! :lol:

Anyway a clue - one of the guesses wasn't too far away...

xotGD

Established Member
OK, I think I'll call this one a day. It was 20030.

I think @Cowley deserves the floor for getting very close...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
OK, I think I'll call this one a day. It was 20030.

I think @Cowley deserves the floor for getting very close...
I’ll have to say open floor as I’ve not got much in the way of reception today.

DerekC

Established Member
Well, @Tom Maddox having drawn our attention to the accident which occurred in the Sutton Tunnel on 30th April 1851 (Chester Cup Day) it, seems a shame to waste the opportunity.

So having established that it was a rear end collision in a tunnel, please give the causes of the accident - I have twelve listed!

The winner being the one who gets the most right answers after a suitable period, or until boredom sets in!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ok let’s go for poor systems of signalling where two trains were allowed in section at the same time?

Perhaps some kind of time interval arrangement where the first train stalled (related to the above)?

Inexperienced crew that were working long hours on the first train and lost steam pressure maybe?

That’s a start anyway.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Well, @Tom Maddox having drawn our attention to the accident which occurred in the Sutton Tunnel on 30th April 1851 (Chester Cup Day) it, seems a shame to waste the opportunity.

So having established that it was a rear end collision in a tunnel, please give the causes of the accident - I have twelve listed!

The winner being the one who gets the most right answers after a suitable period, or until boredom sets in!

Great question! There’s a section on the accident in ‘Red for Danger’ by LTC Rolt. I’ll have to have a re-read later! I’ll start with overcrowding of one of the trains causing
it to struggle up the gradient out of Frodsham toward the tunnel.

Also failure of the driver/crew of the locomotive stuck in the tunnel to walk back and alert the train behind it.

341o2

Established Member
There was no signalling, trains ran at timed intervals.
The first train stalled in the tunnel and a second attempted to push it out.
A third ran into the rear of the second
It was only at this point did any one of the train crews of the second and third trains carry out any train protection as already mentioned

Last edited:

DerekC

Established Member
This is going to get complicated! So:

@Cowley gets a point for first mentioning time interval working (@34102 gets it spot on)
@Tom Maddox a point for struggling on the gradient and another for failure to protect the train
@341o2 a point for the exact description of what happened

(Crew fatigue isn't on my list and the "struggling on the gradient" wasn't primarily due to low steam pressure although that might have been a factor).

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
This is going to get complicated! So:

@Cowley gets a point for first mentioning time interval working (@34102 gets it spot on)
@Tom Maddox a point for struggling on the gradient and another for failure to protect the train
@341o2 a point for the exact description of what happened

(Crew fatigue isn't on my list and the "struggling on the gradient" wasn't primarily due to low steam pressure although that might have been a factor).

The weather was a factor as well I think. Snow/sleet if I remember correctly.

SteveM70

Established Member
I’ll have a guess at poor weather being a factor - either / both of limited forward visibility and poor railhead adhesion causing the train to stall on the uphill section

xotGD

Established Member
No tail lights?

Drunk driver?

Defective brakes?

Lack of traction knowledge?

341o2

Established Member
The first train was seriously overloaded, some 900 people crammed into 18 small carriages, and it is reckoned that the weight of these people compressed the carriage springs to the point where the bodywork was in contact with the wheels thus acting as a partial brake. The second train had only half the number of passengers, and the deteriorating weather did not seem to be a problem. So blame must be in part to whoever allowed such a seriously overladen train to run

Source https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/BoT_SuttonTunnel1851.pdf

DerekC

Established Member
Further points as follows:

@SteveM70 for poor adhesion - railhead condition in the tunnel and lack of dry sand (not weather as such)
@341o2 for overloading of the train - the report on what happened at Chester station when the racegoers arrived for their journey home makes your hair stand on end!

(There were tail lights on the trains, alcohol isn't mentioned in the report and neither lack of traction knowledge nor defective brakes were factors)

DerekC

Established Member
So score now:

@341o2 - 2 points
@Tom Maddox - 1 point
@Cowley = 1 point
@SteveM70 - 1 point

You are now looking for the following to complete my list:

One cause associated with the general incompetence of the board of the Cheshire Junction Line
One cause associated with the traffic on the day
One further cause associated with the initial stalling of the first train in the tunnel
One cause associated with the way the time interval system was supposed to work
One further cause associated directly with the collision
One cause associated with protection of the tunnel

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
You are now looking for the following to complete my list:

One cause associated with the general incompetence of the board of the Cheshire Junction Line
There was no-one in charge of the running of the line?
Because of the above, nobody was in control, so trains ran as and when people wanted them to?
One further cause associated with the initial stalling of the first train in the tunnel
No-one took responsibility for telling anyone that the first train has stalled?
There had been a complete lack of training, so no-one knew how it should have worked?
The passengers panicked?
It wasn't considered necessary to protect the tunnel?

Here's my guesses in italics ... and they are guesses!

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Crew of the first train did not secure the brakes

Bad visibility, smoke and steam

Signalperson at tunnel exit did not raise alarm when trains did not appear

341o2

Established Member
But there was no signalling and it would be funny were we not discussing a fatal crash, that no member of the train crews had a watch, they were advised when to start by the stationmasters en route, and if in doubt ask a passenger the time. The stationmaster at Frodsham was critisised for not warning the crew of the Albert (the one which ran into the rear of the stalled trains in the tunnel), having witnessed the difficulty the Druid had in starting.

Furthermore, two policemen were normally assigned to watch the vicinity of the tunnel, they were relieved of this duty by the company secretary.

The driver of the Druid was unfamiliar with this loco and passenger workings. while the driver of the Albert was critisised for although he saw the tunnel was "full of steam" did not slow down (edit) until he saw the stationary train, it was the force of the Albert colliding with it that caused the damage, the injuries and fatilities

The operation of the railway, that is to say by the Directors, did not have an adequate stock of engines for daily use, let alone the amount of traffic on the day. Noone was appointed to supervise the crowds. The carriages which were hauled by the Druid were only obtained the previous day and not even checked to be free of defects. Not one of the carriages on any train had any lighting whatsoever (apart from the tail lamp). Running trains at five minute intervals without any form of signalling was deemed inadequate.

And I thought Abermule was bad!

Last edited:

DerekC

Established Member
OK - so to wrap this up - @341o2 has covered most of my points:

The time issue - as @341o2 says - even then it must have been clear that accurate timing was critical to railway operation - and how can you run a time interval system if nobody knows the time!

The normal traffic amounted to a train every two hours in each direction and the railway methods of control were simply incapable of coping with the eight trains which left Chester between 5:45 and 8 pm. The board issued lots of advertisements and laid on extra trains but took no action whatever to ensure safe running of them. Captain Laffan (who led the investigation by the Board of Trade) pointed out that the LNWR, who also ran extra trains to the Chester Cup, called out all their platelayers to act as extra "policemen" stationed in sight of each other all the way from Chester to Crewe.

Captain Laffan took pains to argue that the "Druid" engine was incapable of hauling the weight of train which it was put onto. The Locomotive Superintendent, when interviewed, overestimated its weight and haulage capacity by nearly 50%.

As @341o2 says - the failure of the stationmaster at Frodsham to warn the crew of the "Albert" about the trains ahead. This was part of the system of control (such as it was).

@341o2 has it - excessive speed of the third train

@341o2 has it - the withdrawal (on the day of the Cup, presumably to other duties) of the policemen responsible for regulating trains through that section of line

------------

So - @34102 - the line is clear ahead for you!

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
If I may . .
I have read about track on here, I do like taking photos of points, the geometry, but what about ballast?

Which small town in Wales has a quarry that supplied vast amounts of stone ballast, that were taken away by train and ship?

Trackman

Established Member
If I may . .
I have read about track on here, I do like taking photos of points, the geometry, but what about ballast?

Which small town in Wales has a quarry that supplied vast amounts of stone ballast, that were taken away by train and ship?
The one I know is in the Colwyn Bay area, but I’m not sure about the train connection unless there were sidings at one time.