• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

When the PEP units were in development, 1 of the 2 coach units was used to test a coach with a pantograph fitted as a prototype for the class 313, 314 & 315 units, what class was the test unit given for the project ?

Intercity110

On Moderation
When the PEP units were in development, 1 of the 2 coach units was used to test a coach with a pantograph fitted as a prototype for the class 313, 314 & 315 units, what class was the test unit given for the project ?
Tops class? Or southern region? Southern region they were 2- and 4-PEPs (hence the family name) and for TOPS they were 445 and 446.

Class 445 and 446 were the original class numbers but the 25Kv test unit was re-classed into the 9xx range. Only the class 446 coaches were used with the new coach

I will add this as a clue

As there are no further guesses the answer was class 920 and the unit was numbered 920001.

I cannot think of another question at the mo so I will open the floor for the next question

Calthrop

Established Member
There was an unconventional -- and extremely rare -- variation on the steam locomotive theme: one particular very small class batch of which were built, most of a century ago, for a particular customer. These machines were described by the late A.E. Durrant -- a clever guy with the written word -- in wording to the effect of, "looking rather like a pregnant hippopotamus". What manner of steam "variant" is involved here? ("Virtual bonus points" if one can identify the railway for which these things were built.)