• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RDP

Broadstairs was only ever served by the LC&DR, the others by both the LC&DR and SER?

No. This would not have been possible as the present Ramsgate station dates from 1926. The answer I am looking for is not historical.

xotGD

Established Member
Dover is the only one where you aren't valid going the "wrong" way?

Previous question: Also Waverley on the Overnight.

RDP

As no one appears to have got the answer I will kill this question.

The answer was that from Dover Priory it is only possible to get to St. Pancras in one direction without changing en route . It is possible to get through trains to St. Pancras in either direction from the other three.

As xotGD got Dover Priory I think he should set the next question.

Calthrop

Established Member
Possibly a crazy one; but: which line -- (in Great Britain; and long-abandoned) ) had a wonderful, barely-broken, sequence of assonant / quasi-rhyming intermediate stations, and terminus; which sequence was spoilt, in (I believe) the post-Grouping last couple of decades of the line's life, by the opening of several new halts which mostly, did not accord with the above-described "words fun"?

Calthrop

Established Member
An extremely good guess: that's the one. An eminent railway author -- maybe O.S. Nock -- mentions in a rare waggish moment in one of his books, the "ster" endings of nearly all the branch's original stations, including Lybster terminus: viz. Thrumster, Ulbster, Midclyth, Occumster, Lybster -- remarking to the effect that "it was a pity about Midclyth, spoiling what would otherwise have been a 'perfect set'." As mentioned in my question: a thing -- which there are "pointers" to likelihood of its having happened post-Grouping, under the LMS (line was abandoned in 1944) -- new halts named Welsh's Crosssing, Roster Road (at least this one was a "ster"), and Parkside: marring the business, yet further !

Next question is yours to set.

Calthrop

Established Member
I suppose it's not -- "pre-pre-grouping" (and hair-splitting) -- Lancashire, Derbyshire & East Coast?

Calthrop

Established Member
Lancashire Derbyshire & East Coast is the correct answer !

Your turn to dream up a grandiose scheme
Strewth ! An utter blind guess on my part -- informed just a little bit by the "broadly, that part of the country" factor. Thank you, anyway.

Grandiose scheme herewith; which island (not immensely far from here, in global terms) -- the scene at present, of some dissension and ill-feeling -- although this falls far short of lethal: was per plans and projects something over a century ago, to be served by a railway (metre-gauge), which however failed to come to be. Some early route-laying-out and making of earthworks took place; and there were indications of some folk in other countries, having the mistaken impression that the line had in fact been completed and was operating. Please identify the island. ("Virtual bonus points" for any further information on this matter.)

Calthrop

Established Member
I feel that this will probably be giving-it-away: but, the island is one of a Mediterranean island group which is the location at the present time; of a certain amount of bother re the inhabitants being pee'd-off with British visitors and their presence there.