• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Okay, if I may, I have dreamed up a three-part question

What historic project had to wait until the outer railway ring round Berlin was complete? Fangschleuse, an idyllic tiny station in the woods east of Berlin, shall soon have two trains an hour in each direction, why?
The trains turn round at 'Slubfurt', which is sort of twinned with 'Mainhattan', what are the usual names of these two settlements?

xotGD

Established Member
1. The new central station in Berlin
2. It serves the new airport

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Correct, when the outer ring was complete the DDR no longer needed to run long-distance trains through/near Westberlin, so the border could be fortified
Passenger trains run on most of the outer ring
Clue to 3. The two towns have similar names

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
2. Yes, it is being built in the woods, thousands of trees are being felled although the final building permission has not been issued yet. The talk is of 12 000 jobs and 500 000 vehicles a year, with a bit of railfreight use

Number 3 should be easy now

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
The two towns sought in part 3 have very similar names, distinguished by a suffix. They are far apart
Fortunately (?) the larger one comes first, alphabetically

Nick_C

This should be an easy one - Which country in Europe has the lowest amount of railway mileage? (excluding those that have none)

Calthrop

Established Member
I'm torn between Monaco (taking it that the country doesn't have to have its own railway undertaking), and Vatican City. Will plump for Monaco.

xotGD

Established Member
I hardly feel worthy, but here is a question with 10 possible answers:

Which was the first Class 44 to be withdrawn?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It certainly was! Withdrawn in July 76 and cut up the following month.

Your floor...
Oh I completely forgot to check back on this and I’m too flustered to think of a question now!
Open floor...

DerekC

Established Member
It's slightly wider than standard gauge, but narrower than Russian gauge. I'll guess 4ft 11in
You are so close I think I should give you it. The gauge used now is actually 1495 mm (4ft 10 7/8in) but it seems that some of the early lines were indeed 4ft 11in and some 4ft 10 3/4in. The reasons why seem pretty obscure - some say that it was to prevent main line freight from using the streetcar network. Others that it was something to do with allowing horse drawn road waggons to use the track, which in the 1860s when the first horse-drawn tram line was built was a form of step-rail, a bit like a plateway but with the trams using flanged wheels running on the vertical leg of the angle section.

Your clear road.