• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

341o2

Established Member
Which UK city used a track gauge 1/4 inch narrower than Mt Washington, ie 1416mm or 4' 7 3/4" (standard being 1435mm) and why?

SteveM70

Established Member
Which UK city used a track gauge 1/4 inch narrower than Mt Washington, ie 1416mm or 4' 7 3/4" (standard being 1435mm) and why?

Im hoping the word “city” is a red herring, because I think that’s the trams in Huddersfield. The reason I was told is that the local coal mines used that gauge and they wanted to be able to transport coal wagons too.

Rutland23

I think that it might be Glasgow.

|The slightly narrower gauge meant that railway stock ran on its flanges, while the trams used their wheel treads.

Regards

Ian

341o2

Established Member
I think that it might be Glasgow.

|The slightly narrower gauge meant that railway stock ran on its flanges, while the trams used their wheel treads.

Regards

Ian
Well, you are right. I chose "city" to eliminate Huddersfield, which had a similar setup. Standard gauge trains could share the tram tracks principally to access the Glasgow shipyards.
Welcome to the forum, and your floor

Rutland23

Many thanks for the welcome, although I have been lurking for a while.

There was some steam traffic on that particular stretch, but one company used electric traction.

Which company?

Regards

Ian

DerekC

Established Member
It looks from maps as though there was a connection from the Govan goods yard of the Glasgow & Paisley Joint Railway (Caledonian & GSWR) to Fairfields shipyard via the tramway tracks, so I am going to guess that Fairfields owned and operated the locos.

DerekC

Established Member
Nice picture - thanks. Border crossings are in the news so I thought I would try to be topical!

There are six railway connections between France and Spain (one of which is currently disused), on three different gauges. Please name the crossing points.

Calthrop

Established Member
I'll have a shot -- west to east:

Hendaye (France) / Irun (Spain): 1435mm / 1672mm (No. 1)

ditto -- metre-gauge electric line "San Sebastian -- frontier" (No. 2)

Urdos (France) / Canfranc (Spain) -- 1435mm / 1672mm [disused] (No. 3)

La Tour de Carol (France, from direction of Toulouse) / Puigcerda (Spain): 1435mm / 1672mm (No. 4)

La Tour de Carol (France, from direction of Villefranche-Vernet-Les-Bains-Fuilla [metre-gauge third-rail electric west thereof; 1435mm east thereof] and Perpignan); 1672mm in Spain (No. 5)

Cerbere (France) / Port Bou (Spain): 1435mm / 1672mm (No. 6)

DerekC

Established Member
That's a brilliant start @Calthrop - you have five out of six. I don't think the metre gauge line from La Tour de Carol towards Villefranche-Vernet-Les-Bains-Fuilla crosses the border. - it's entirely in France, although having looked at it on Google Earth just now, it comes within 30m of it at one place!

What's the missing crossing?

Calthrop

Established Member
You've got me totally baffled here -- I'd always in fact thought, "four places": for answer purposes, managed -- tortuously, I thought -- to stretch it to six...

Calthrop

Established Member
I tend to be mentally stuck in the 1960s: consultation of M.G. Ball's European Railway Atlas has made known to me a quite recently opened 1435mm gauge high-speed line (to whose existence I had hitherto been oblivious) between Perpignan (France) and Figueres (Spain), crossing the border in the Perthus Tunnel: French and Spanish ends thereof, Montesquieu-les-Alberes and La Jonquera respectively.

Calthrop

Established Member
Muchas gracias, senor DerekC.

There are two islands, about 225 km. apart. One has belonged to the overseas empire of Britain, the other to that of France. Each island has had in the past, a railway system -- each typical, respectively in a different way, of elements of the respective parent countries' rail scenes. Of these island systems, one has long totally vanished; there is thought to be a small remnant of the other, still active at a low level as a "heritage" operation.

What are the above two islands? (Virtual bonus points for any brief added description of the railways which have served them.)

Nick_C

St Kitts and Marie-Galante - That on St Kitts served the sugar trade, and now runs as a round-the-island tourist ride (not really a heritage operation IMHO, more about sightseeing). No idea about Marie-Galante, that's simply the first French island I could find the right distance away!

Calthrop

Established Member
Resourceful thinking; but I'm afraid, no. With this, you're in very much the wrong part of the globe.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Newfoundland? Sorry, I think Nova Scotia, new Caledonia is an island, there was a railway there, dunno if it still exists

Last edited: