• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

341o2

Established Member
No, much nearer home. And the only railway in that country

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
The Azores (Portuguese territory) -- IIRC, a 7 ft. gauge line chiefly for use in maintenance of a breakwater / mole; analogous to our own set-up at Holyhead.

341o2

Established Member
Yes, you are right. Ponta Delgado. I may be wrong regarding WW2, it appears that following completion of the breakwater c 1900, it was used sporadically, the last recorded use was in 1973. Also used 3 locos, no 1 Nielsens 1861 (reminds me of the Redruth & Chasewater) 2 Black Hawthorn during the 1880's and 3 Falcon 1888
It is hoped that one day the locos might be at least restored externally.

Your floor

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Services stop there twice?
Twice? Wolfsburg has another station, Fallersleben, where local trains stop, but that is not the answer I seek. The answer is to do with the number of stops +/-, and has been milked by the media, much more serious in Wolfsburg I guess

xotGD

Established Member
Which locomotive was named Loch Rannoch in a ceremony at Fort William on 31st March 1982.

Bonus points for saying why that name was chosen.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I'm pretty sure that it was a Class 37, although I don't know which one. Was the reason to celebrate the anniversary of the founding of the Commandos in 1942 (because they were based in that area)?

xotGD

Established Member
I'm pretty sure that it was a Class 37, although I don't know which one. Was the reason to celebrate the anniversary of the founding of the Commandos in 1942 (because they were based in that area)?
Yes it was a 37. Sorry, not correct as to the reason I have in mind.

xotGD

Established Member
Time for a clue.

The answer is not too different to that of the last question I set.

xotGD

Established Member
I'm a bit rusty, but I'll guess 37012? No idea on the bonus question though!
Correct!

If I'm remembering correctly, Rail Enthusiast magazine asked readers to suggest names and those judging chose Loch Rannock.

Your floor.

SteveyBee131

Cool, thanks!

As you'll know if you follow the 'Alphabet Stations Challenge' thread, There are no stations on Network Rail that start with the letter Z. There are however a baker's dozen that have a Z in their name.

I don't expect you to get them all (but if you do, very well done!), but let's see how it goes...

Bonus points for any of the three that have a Z in their 3 letter code, but not in their name.

xotGD

Established Member
Lenzie
Devizes
Norton Fitzwarren

London Zones 1 - 6!

Thinking ahead: Birmingham Curzon Street