• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway jobs abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamL

Hello everyone,

Having worked on the railways for about 7 years in the UK (since graduation) I am looking for a new start in a foreign country. My experience on the railways has been; office, driving and management based (all under the operational umbrella).

If anyone has any experience in working abroad for the railways, or knows someone that does it would be great to hear from you. I presume, compared to other posts, this one will get very few replies if any!!

I guess countries which initially spring to mind are EU ones, Canada, Australia and New Zealand but I am open to information for any country.

Thank you to all that reply...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ive also been looking at going abroad I think it would be fantastic but it all seems to be agencys who are offering the vacancies?

Established Member
For KiwiRail - New Zealand, their recruitment agents Snaphire reject all non visa-cleared job applicants.

Creates the catch 22 situation, no visa -can't apply for job; no offer - almost impossible to apply for a visa. Brilliant :(

Some of the jobs they advertise are in the nationally recognised skill shortage lists, such as Station Manager - but they still reject applicants from overseas.

notadriver

Established Member
Hello everyone,

Having worked on the railways for about 7 years in the UK (since graduation) I am looking for a new start in a foreign country. My experience on the railways has been; office, driving and management based (all under the operational umbrella).

If anyone has any experience in working abroad for the railways, or knows someone that does it would be great to hear from you. I presume, compared to other posts, this one will get very few replies if any!!

I guess countries which initially spring to mind are EU ones, Canada, Australia and New Zealand but I am open to information for any country.

Thank you to all that reply...

May I ask if you have any formal qualifications ? I don't think UK experience counts for much abroad.

AdamL

Thanks for the replies so far...

As for qualifications, I have a degree in an engineering discipline (but no work experience to go with it).

I spoke to someone a while back about railway jobs in Poland and basically to work on the railways in Poland you have to go to a railway college. I guess getting a job elsewhere in the world may prove to be a challenge and all the rules vary enormously.

Any suggestion on how to improve my chances - i.e. which area(s) of employment are most appreciated or what further education may be worth considering.

I wouldn't bother with Irish Rail for starters, nepotism so ingrained there they do a DNA test instead of an interview !

Status
Not open for further replies.