• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway lines crossing at right angles

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastdyke

Established Member
The line south of Bottesford in the Redmile direction was closed completely in the early 1970s.

The line from Bottesford West Junction to Newark remained in use until 1987 mainly for oil trains from Immingham to the oil terminal at Rectory Junction, Colwick. After closure these trains then ran via Nottingham or Grantham.
Thanks, I had tankers in mind and was searching for a duty! Redmile PSD historically being part of the so called defence infrastructure is somewhat difficult to research.
I did find this:
'Government Pipelines and StorageSystem (GPSS) Portfolio – Redmile'

In August 2012, SKM Enviros (SKM) was commissioned by Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) to prepare a combined Phase One and Phase Two Land Quality Assessment (LQA) at the Government Pipelines and Storage System (GPSS) facility at Redmile Petroleum Storage Depot (PSD), Leicestershire. The objectives of this LQA, are to evaluate potential risks to human health and controlled waters which will allow identification of potential environmental risks for the MOD and support the disposal process for the site. The assessment has been completed on the understanding that the site is to be divested for continued or future commercial / industrial use (as a fuel management facility) etc ....
Section 3.2 contains reference to the dismantling of the railway:
A previous site investigation undertaken by Environmental Assessment Group Ltd (EAG) noted the Redmile depot was built in 1938. Four large semi buried underground fuel storage tanks were built as part of the original layout of Sites 1 and 3. Site 2 was not described within the EAG report. The EAG report dated 1992 notes the rail line, adjacent to Site 1, was dismantled in the 1960’s.

But I am now way off thread!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Springs Branch

Established Member
There used to be one at Lincoln.
I'm surprised there's only been a passing mention of Pelham St. Junction at Lincoln.

Along with the Newark example, the only one I've been over (clattered across it many times in a Cambridge/Lincoln Cravens DMU via the Joint line)

Here are a couple of links to pictures of that long-lost main line flat crossing:-

http://ukrailways1970tilltoday.me.uk/Lincoln_Pelham_Street_crossing_BR.html

https://www.roscalen.com/signals/Lincoln/PelhamStJct.htm

bishdunster

On the S&D between Ashcott and Shapwick, the Eclipse Peat Co narrow gauge line crossed on the level, in 1949 on 19th August a passenger train collided with the NG train and ended up in the Glastonbury Canal :oops: !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.