• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway pension

SouthernStar

Not sure where to post this, but given this is a work related issue, I thought the jobs/career section would be the best fit.
I’m trying to do some research as each TOC has their own section of the railway pension, and that the auto-contributions will differ between TOCs. I’ve read you can do an inter-transfer and consolidate your pension into one, on the Railpen website, but I’ve also read some TOCs do not allow this, even if you go between employers in the rail industry.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Not sure where to post this, but given this is a work related issue, I thought the jobs/career section would be the best fit.
I’m trying to do some research as each TOC has their own section of the railway pension, and that the auto-contributions will differ between TOCs. I’ve read you can do an inter-transfer and consolidate your pension into one, on the Railpen website, but I’ve also read some TOCs do not allow this, even if you go between employers in the rail industry.

I’m not aware of their being that many issues for inter-TOC transference it’s just that some have slightly different terms based on length of service etc. so you might not be put on the “better” scheme straight away.

RPS are the best people to ask on this and I think there’s a section on their website dedicated to it. They’ll know more on the specifics.

1867Blue

Hi all, thought I’d post in here to save another new thread.

I will be new to the RPS and Brass, can somebody explain to me in idiot terms how the RPS final salary pension and brass works please.

Established Member

I will be new to the RPS and Brass, can somebody explain to me in idiot terms how the RPS final salary pension and brass works please.
Best speak to your HR department. While you could get excellent advice on here from someone knowledgeable, you could get complete nonsense. How would you tell the difference?

muz379

Established Member

Different sections of the scheme have slightly different rules for taking your pension and brass funds at retirement, one of the biggest for example is how network rail scheme members take their brass funds post 2009 . Without knowing what section you are in in it would be difficult to give any specific info .

But in basic terms the RPS schemes are defined benefit schemes , that is your annual pension at retirement is linked to your length of service and pensionable pay at retirement . Rather than being based on exactly how much you have contributed as is he case with defined contribution schemes

For example the network rail scheme formula for taking RPS65 benefits at the normal retirement age is as follows .

(Final average pensionable pay - 75% of the basic state pension ) X Years of Service ÷ 60 (Scheme accural rate)

Brass is just a form of additional voluntary contributions that you can make to your pension which are then invested depending on your preferences , at retirement your brass fund is then either used to fund a lump sum or depending on the rules of your section might be able to be traded for additional annual pension . There are some tax benefits both during employment and at retirement to making AVC's as well . But without knowing specifics it would be impossible to say what these benefits ccould/would be .

If you are or will be an RPS member I would say the best place to start would be to register online and access the scheme members guide which gives information about the scheme

Efini92

Established Member
When you leave your pension will be frozen. You can request an inter scheme transfer from RPS once you have enrolled into the new pension scheme. They will send you breakdown of what you will get if you transfer in. If you’re happy with the figures you can accept it. If you’re not, then it stays frozen until you’re eligible to claim it.
It’s worth noting that depending on the salary difference you may lose some years, however as the defined benefit is worked out on a career average, your starting point for the average will probably be higher.
I’ve not heard of anyone unable to transfer between schemes. I’ve transferred mine twice.

whoosh

Established Member
No longer Final Salary (despite being on all the job adverts) , but is Defined Benefit.

Even current employees are NOT in a Final Salary pension scheme.

Efini92

Established Member
No longer Final Salary (despite being on all the job adverts) , but is Defined Benefit.

Even current employees are NOT in a Final Salary pension scheme.
Defined benefit is a final salary pension.
You’re right in that your pension won’t be the last salary that you had before retiring.

jfollows

Established Member
Whats the difference
Speaking generically, I know nothing about the railway's pension schemes:

A 'final salary' pension is a 'defined benefit' pension in that the benefit (the pension you get paid) is defined based on a number of factors such as years of pensionable service and your final salary.

There are other 'defined benefit' pensions in which your benefit is still defined, but in a different way. For example a 'career average' pension is based on average pay rather than final pay. I have one of these - nothing to do with the railway - in which every year I 'earned' a pension amount which was then added to the next year's amount and so on.

The essence of 'defined benefit' is the benefit is defined and the pension fund has to pay out. What the benefit is defined from is what is important, and it may or may not be based on your final salary.

'Defined contribution' pensions are totally different, you pay money in and you take a pension based on how much your investments accumulate.

PS Over my career I have ended up with a defined benefit/final salary pension, a defined benefit/career average pension and a defined contribution pension. Makes life interesting. Especially when they all kick in at different times of my life.

1867Blue

Speaking generically, I know nothing about the railway's pension schemes:

A 'final salary' pension is a 'defined benefit' pension in that the benefit (the pension you get paid) is defined based on a number of factors such as years of pensionable service and your final salary.

There are other 'defined benefit' pensions in which your benefit is still defined, but in a different way. For example a 'career average' pension is based on average pay rather than final pay. I have one of these - nothing to do with the railway - in which every year I 'earned' a pension amount which was then added to the next year's amount and so on.

The essence of 'defined benefit' is the benefit is defined and the pension fund has to pay out. What the benefit is defined from is what is important, and it may or may not be based on your final salary.

'Defined contribution' pensions are totally different, you pay money in and you take a pension based on how much your investments accumulate.

PS Over my career I have ended up with a defined benefit/final salary pension, a defined benefit/career average pension and a defined contribution pension. Makes life interesting. Especially when they all kick in at different times of my life.
Thank you for that

Andrew1395

Yes you are right. I think I meant to say that the schemes nominal retirement date for new recruits is 65. any Current employee will receive information from RPS that says what the nominal retirement date is (60 or 65). For some ex BR employees still actively employed without broken service it might even be as low as 50 for when you can ask to take your railway pension. For others the earliest date will be 55. But as you say there will be pretty hefty reductions (discounts) on the amounts you will see when requesting a formal quote. There is an online planner that has all the relevant information for your individual situation.

muz379

Established Member
As others have said there is a percentage based reduction for every year you take the pension early set out in your scheme rules .

Worth knowing and planning for if you are young enough to think about these things , even considering paying into brass if you know you want to go early .