• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Research Groups

StephenHunter

Established Member
Does anyone know any groups that might be able to help me find out more information about a note I found in an old timetable?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
I think we need a bit more detail: subject of the note, timetable it was in (and table subject), anything on the paper, etc. Then we might - I say might - be able to suggest a relevant group.

StephenHunter

Established Member
It was an account of a 1951 trip from the UK to Switzerland, unsigned. Found in a 1958 BR Continental Timetable.

Gloster

Established Member
Hand written by the traveller, part of a handout, itinerary, etc? What route and what do you want to know: there are a vast number of possibilities?

StephenHunter

Established Member
Handwritten by the traveller, possibly for an article. From Victoria to Vevey via Calais and Dijon. I'm wondering if it might have been done by some railway journalist.

Rescars

Vevey is, amongst other things, the home of Nestle. Could you have found the itinerary of a chocolate lover, a food writer, or even the Milky Bar Kid?:)

Gloster

Established Member
The only thing I can suggest if you want to find out who wrote it is to work through the various magazines (Railway Magazine, Railway World, Trains Illustrated, etc.) and the railway club journals, as well as their annuals. Depending on the style, it might be for a more general publication, not a railway one; there is rather a wide choice here. Don’t make do with just scanning the titles: you will need to read a bit of all promising articles in case the editor has renamed it or chopped it about. Over to you.