• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railworks 3 V Openbve

Status
Not open for further replies.

hector673

Hi, I'm thinking of getting Railworks3, but was wondering how it compares with OpenBVE. I'm interested in the in cab view and driving the train, not the looking at it from the outside.
Does RW3 have proper working TPWS & Driver Vigilant? Does it have proper track sounds, like rattle over points etc and does the cab sway from side to side when going over points etc?

Cheers, David

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
To be honest, in many ways the two are completely different.

I would say that RW3 is designed to be an all rounder, so probably an overall lower emphasis on drivers side view compared to the oBVE.

RW3 has working AWS (if in expert mode anyway) and also TPWS on certain routes, though not all. RW3 doesn't have a vigilence device on any traction I don't believe, but the odd one or two have a DRA.

Likewise, compared to oBVE, I don't think you will get quite the same sound detail, as I can't recall hearing much of a rattle over points, though you do get a different tone across bridges and the cab sways around a bit on undulating terrain etc.

RW3 is much more expandable, however, and much more developed than oBVE, so much more is possible with it, and I'd say well worth the investment (I've had it for over 2 1/2 years now, and I have also played oBVE too)

Openbve is excellent once you've installed some good routes and trains, and very realistic. RW3 though does have better graphics though and I'd say with the addition of some further rolling stock and routes, RW3 would certainly surpass Openbve.

Bungle73

On Moderation
RW3 does have the squealing noise you get sometimes get from the wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.