• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RAIU report. Irish SPADS 2012-15

Status
Not open for further replies.

2HAP

The RAIU have issued a report into SPADs occurring in Ireland between January 2012 and June 2015.

http://www.raiu.ie/download/pdf/spad_final_r2016_r001.pdf

Conclusion
913 IÉ engaged safety consultants Arthur D. Little to review the SRRT for the calculation of SRR, the overall review found that the system used by IÉ is robust, paragraph 907.

914 In terms of IÉ’s collation of SPAD event information, the databases provided to the RAIU are inconsistent, sometimes inaccurate and not complete (as they generally do not include any findings from IÉ reports).

915 In terms of the internal investigation of SPADs on the IÉ network, a large number of the reports take an excessive amount of time to complete (exceeding their own requirements of six months); while some reports remain in draft format. The reports indicate that there is a lack of consistency in the investigative terms used, resulting in the frequent misuse of common investigation terms. In addition, a number of report findings are inaccurate; while recommendations are consistently localised and over-reliant on long term solutions. These factors may have contributed to IÉ not showing any decline in the frequency of SPADs.

916 Drivers on the IÉ network generally do not report near miss events (only one near miss SPAD has ever been reported in IÉ). If an adequate near miss reporting system was adopted it could be used as a tool by IÉ in relation to the proactive management of the prevention of SPADs; however, as this is not occurring, there is no early detection for the early identified of SPADs by certain drivers or at certain signals on the IÉ network.

It's been a few days since I posted this. I know there are over 1,000 paragraphs to get through, but I got the impression that Irish railways in general, with the possible exception of that part of the network that DART runs on, are not as well developed as railways on the island of Great Britain. I'm unable to give an opinion on those in Northern Ireland.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

axlecounter

I have read some of this when you posted this. I wish I had the time to read it all. I find the SPAD investigations always extremely interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.