• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Random Sleeper trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitdiver

Next year I want to take my wife on a sleeper. We both hold Priv travel so the cost won't be that prohibitive. What I would like to know what would be the best one to take her on as far as scenery etc. Secondly which one do I stand a better chance of getting a berth on. I know I could book it early but would like to leave it a bit later than 7 months. (Plan to go next May)
In addition which are the best days to go on, thinking of going North on the Tuesday and coming back on the Thursday.
Finally what should I do when I get there wherever I end up Only really going for the ride.

Rob H

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndrewE

Established Member
One of my earliest journeys on a free pass (only 4 per year then) was in February 1975. Cross-country (NE-SW) from Bristol to York then on the sleeper which had come from King's Cross to Fort William for Mallaig. It was a great trip, and I can picture now seeing deer running away from the train as we sat in the dining car having breakfast* going over Rannoch moor in the early morning.
Came home via Kyle of Lochalsh and Glasgow, I think.
Highly recommended!

*p.s thinking back, it's much more likely to have been out of the small window of our Mk1 sleeper compartment!

Last edited:

Veteran Member
Next year I want to take my wife on a sleeper. We both hold Priv travel so the cost won't be that prohibitive. What I would like to know what would be the best one to take her on as far as scenery etc. Secondly which one do I stand a better chance of getting a berth on. I know I could book it early but would like to leave it a bit later than 7 months. (Plan to go next May)
In addition which are the best days to go on, thinking of going North on the Tuesday and coming back on the Thursday.
Finally what should I do when I get there wherever I end up Only really going for the ride.

Rob H

My order of preference would be
1. Fort William
2. Inverness
3. Aberdeen (still good coastal scenery from Leuchars north).
That's on scenic quality and length (of time to enjoy it) and length of sleep before/after the best scenery.
However, I fear that everyone else shares that view and - without checking by a test booking - the availability will be the reverse!
If you were lucky and got Fort William out and Inverness back, then I would suggest the Skye circular via Mallaig-Armadale-(Portree-)Kyle or v.v. with an overnight on Skye. And don't risk tight connections off the northbound sleeper.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Scenery is best on the Ft William. You'll need to be in the seated car to get the best of it though. Best to sit on the left both ways (in direction of travel) and then you will have the sun light in your favour. If there is any sun that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.