• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Re: Trainee Conductor Interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke1987

I have a lot of experience in customer service that's why i think i have been offered a interview at FTPE, I'm not nervous about interview.

What I'm nervous about is the Assessment, i have Dyscalculia so maths isn't my best subject all other customer service jobs i haven't had contact with money.

I applied for a Oil Refinery position 3 years ago and did everything assessment and Medical wise you would do for FTPE but the difference with Oil Refinery is you could get everything wrong and you would still pass.

I'm actually good at calculating money and time, its just i read you get asked about percentages and other things and that overwhelms me. Its the same asking a dyslexic loads of Literacy questions they can't really cope.

My literacy is fine I'm just about to pass Level 2 which is A to C Grade.

But my numeracy isn't very good i have a E3 which is embarrassing.

Maths has really held me back, so if i was able to get a position with FTPE i know i would be set for a long career.

Which i would enjoy a lot.

I just wanted to ask what sought of questions you get asked on the Ticket selling Assessment.

I put down my E3 in the application, and my application got accepted so they must of liked my app form.

Or i nearly forgot in the email i got told that they would send assessments out for me to complete by my interview in a separate email its been two days and i haven't received second email yet.

Thanks for reading sorry if its long.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I have a lot of experience in customer service that's why i think i have been offered a interview at FTPE, I'm not nervous about interview.

What I'm nervous about is the Assessment, i have Dyscalculia so maths isn't my best subject all other customer service jobs i haven't had contact with money.

I applied for a Oil Refinery position 3 years ago and did everything assessment and Medical wise you would do for FTPE but the difference with Oil Refinery is you could get everything wrong and you would still pass.

I'm actually good at calculating money and time, its just i read you get asked about percentages and other things and that overwhelms me. Its the same asking a dyslexic loads of Literacy questions they can't really cope.

My literacy is fine I'm just about to pass Level 2 which is A to C Grade.

But my numeracy isn't very good i have a E3 which is embarrassing.

Maths has really held me back, so if i was able to get a position with FTPE i know i would be set for a long career.

Which i would enjoy a lot.

I just wanted to ask what sought of questions you get asked on the Ticket selling Assessment.

I put down my E3 in the application, and my application got accepted so they must of liked my app form.

Or i nearly forgot in the email i got told that they would send assessments out for me to complete by my interview in a separate email its been two days and i haven't received second email yet.

Thanks for reading sorry if its long.

Well done on getting a interview with FTPE.

I no from the passed test I have done. their are 3 assessments. U have the psychometric testing which consists of the Dots test or Scat tests, You will then do some kind of Literacy test, And then you will do a Interview. I wouldn't of thought would do a ticket test on a trainee conductors assessment. because the majority of people are newbies to the rail.

Monty

Established Member
The commercial guards assessments I have done in the past require you to complete a 'ticket checking and selling test' it's not particularly taxing but I understand why you would be slightly concerned. The best thing to do is call up TPE's recruitment office and inform them you are dyslexic, most TOCs I know of will give extra time to candidates with dyslexia and other similar conditions in order to read the questions.

zeke1987

I have this attachment in the email them saying i had a interview,

Stage Two Assessment Centre

You will undertake tests in the following Group Bourdon, RAAT, Ticket Selling and Ticket Checking and the role play. Practice material will be provided in advance for this assessment.

If your assessment score meets the required FTPE Trainee Conductor standard then you will be invited to the next stage of the selection process. If your score falls below the standard you will receive appropriate communication and your application will not be progressed. We endeavour to send all communication out as quickly as possible; your patience will be appreciated.

Monty

Established Member
As I said the best thing to do is call recruitment and inform them of your circumstances.

LowLevel

Established Member
Well done on getting a interview with FTPE.

I no from the passed test I have done. their are 3 assessments. U have the psychometric testing which consists of the Dots test or Scat tests, You will then do some kind of Literacy test, And then you will do a Interview. I wouldn't of thought would do a ticket test on a trainee conductors assessment. because the majority of people are newbies to the rail.

It's an aptitude test, not a technical one. You get the info you need provided and the test is to see if you can work through fairly quickly and accurately based on what you're told. Different TOCs have different standards/requirements. Mine appeared to go to the further lengths in terms of the tests to be done, I know others are similar, and some require far less.

I'm currently going through training as a conductor having gone through an external application process as an internal candidate (so same process as everyone off the street)and I had to do a group discussion/presentation, line manager interview, SCAAT (similar but not identical to Group Bourdon), Rules Acquisition Aptitude Test, Ticket checking/selling, role play and a different Competency Based Interview (everything after line manager interview was with an external examiner). I was already safety critical but had to retake everything anyway.

I can only echo what others have said which is to make sure the recruitment team know any issues like yours in advance. Make sure you practice everything they have told you about regardless of what you may hear elsewhere about the event content because it varies and what you've been told to practice for is what you need to do.

Network

I applied for this at Glasgow Central last year

Passed the assessment and the interview and then got put "on hold"

no feedback from them at all. not even a phone call, just an email to say I was on hold.

zeke1987

I applied for this at Glasgow Central last year

Passed the assessment and the interview and then got put "on hold"

no feedback from them at all. not even a phone call, just an email to say I was on hold.

I read sometimes on another page that they do that sometimes, but i wouldn't be gutted because when a job becomes available you top of the list because you have passed.

What company did you apply for i know Northern Rail do Trainee Conductor training and when you pass they put you on the waiting list.

I applied FTPE and they have 2 positions available.

Network

it was for trainee conductor with FTPE at glasgow central

passed interview and assessment then got put on hold

zeke1987

Hi everone, I got sent a email today saying,

As part of your invite to interview for Conductor at York with First TransPennine Express, you were advised that you would be sent a link to complete an online assessment.

As I'm sure you will have realised this was not sent and will now not be at all.

Please accept our apologies for any confusion this may have caused.

Status
Not open for further replies.