• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reading Buses and Thames Valley

BlainRhys

Update 453/455/234/235 were withdrawn for disposal following service on 18 January.

Thames Valley Buses

662 has been repainted into Bracknell grey with yellow valley, returning to service on 6 January.

684-687 entered service on 19 January.

453/455/234/235 were withdrawn for disposal following service on 18 January.

738-40 are being prepared for service for sometime during week commencing 5 February.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nctd2306

Why did they get rid of the B7RLEs, such a good bus in many ways. But my guess is economics.
The main reason is probably fleet standardisation, having just two or three volvos in a fleet full of ADLs isn't ideal, I'm suprised they've retained the microfleet of Optare Solos in the Maidenhead area, it wouldn't suprise me if they are the next Thames Valley vehicles to get replaced at some point

Fletcj10

The main reason is probably fleet standardisation, having just two or three volvos in a fleet full of ADLs isn't ideal, I'm suprised they've retained the microfleet of Optare Solos in the Maidenhead area, it wouldn't suprise me if they are the next Thames Valley vehicles to get replaced at some point
I believe but don’t quote me haha but they are lease buses, as since the takeover in 2019 a number of solos have left so I assume they will be next on the drawing board for replacement

nctd2306

Does anyone know the status of 436/7/8/9? According to the latest fleet update these were supposed to be entering service this week, but no sign of them so far...
It also mentioned the new Lion buses should be active from next Monday (the 12th) so hopefully that launch goes more smoothly
EDIT: it now says both fleets will be ready to launch on the 12th

johnsy112

Does anyone know the status of 436/7/8/9? According to the latest fleet update these were supposed to be entering service this week, but no sign of them so far...
It also mentioned the new Lion buses should be active from next Monday (the 12th) so hopefully that launch goes more smoothly
EDIT: it now says both fleets will be ready to launch on the 12th
Throughout next week

nctd2306

New buses have entered service on the lion 4/x4 today with one vehicle on display in Wokingham town centre

Attachments

• IMG_20240212_104939.jpg
    IMG_20240212_104939.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20240212_104933.jpg
    IMG_20240212_104933.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20240212_104945.jpg
    IMG_20240212_104945.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20240212_110314.jpg
    IMG_20240212_110314.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20240212_110856.jpg
    IMG_20240212_110856.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 92

Thames99

Lots of the new Lion buses running today and very nice they seem to be. No sign of the ex-Stagecoach gas buses (436-439) as far as I know. I assume these are for routes 9 and 42 as they spparently carry Buzz livery.

nctd2306

Lots of the new Lion buses running today and very nice they seem to be. No sign of the ex-Stagecoach gas buses (436-439) as far as I know. I assume these are for routes 9 and 42 as they spparently carry Buzz livery.
I spoke to Robert Williams (CEO) at the display bus in Wokingham today and he told me that the Buzz Enviro 300SGs have been having issues with their new ticket machines and that this Wednesday 14th will hopefully be their first day. Of course given that they are already late, this could be further delayed, but that was the new target launch day.

Heard from one of the members of staff at the Wokingham display bus that 247 should enter service very soon (probably tomorrow), but the other one to enter service (248) has an electrical fault

BlainRhys

From today new Flightline buses 738/39/40 have entered traffic, while 795 781/2 will be away to be retrimmed in the summer.

nctd2306

And yesterday, the first Buzz 9 liveried bus finally entered service, 437.
Still no sign of the other three however

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I was having a browse of the latest Traffic Commissioner's Notices & Proceedings (N&P) publication for the West of England, numbered 1949 and dated 29th Feb. Apologies if already mentioned but I hadn't seen it previous. It looks like the current 'Buzz 42' between Kenavon Drive and Rivermead Leisure Centre via Reading town centre is to be discontinued from 1st April, being replaced by a new 18/18a. From the description it sounds like it will run as per the current 42, but then extend west from Rivermead Leisure Centre to Tilehurst Triangle via the current unserved roads of Richfield Avenue, Cow Lane, Portman Road (an industrial area) and Wigmore Lane. From here it will briefly shadow the 16 along Oxford Road, before heading down the currently school bus only served Kentwood Hill (past the old trolleybus turning circle which was itself route 18), joining route 17 where this becomes Station Road for the final stretch to Tilehurst Triangle. The N&P shows the 42 as cancelled from the same date.

Source: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/65e06675f1cab30f17fc4712/np_2949_29_February_2024.pdf

PH0005856/226 READING TRANSPORT LTD, GREAT KNOLLYS STREET, READING,
RG1 7HH
To: Tilehurst Triangle
Via: Forbury Road, Friar Street, Rivermead, Portman Road, Oxford Road,
Kentwood Hill
Name or No.: 18 / 18a
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 01 April 2024
Other details: New Service.
PH0005856/194 READING TRANSPORT LTD, GREAT KNOLLYS STREET, READING,
RG1 7HH
Operating between Kenavon Drive and Rivermead given service number 42
effective from 01 April 2024.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I was having a browse of the latest Traffic Commissioner's Notices & Proceedings (N&P) publication for the West of England, numbered 1949 and dated 29th Feb. Apologies if already mentioned but I hadn't seen it previous. It looks like the current 'Buzz 42' between Kenavon Drive and Rivermead Leisure Centre via Reading town centre is to be discontinued from 1st April, being replaced by a new 18/18a. From the description it sounds like it will run as per the current 42, but then extend west from Rivermead Leisure Centre to Tilehurst Triangle via the current unserved roads of Richfield Avenue, Cow Lane, Portman Road (an industrial area) and Wigmore Lane. From here it will briefly shadow the 16 along Oxford Road, before heading down the currently school bus only served Kentwood Hill (past the old trolleybus turning circle which was itself route 18), joining route 17 where this becomes Station Road for the final stretch to Tilehurst Triangle. The N&P shows the 42 as cancelled from the same date.

Source: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/65e06675f1cab30f17fc4712/np_2949_29_February_2024.pdf
Not surprised it's a pointless bus route and I haven't seen anyone on it

BlainRhys

As of 25th of March Flightline703 will be Operating by Thames Valley Buses Following Timetable Change with Londonline702
1710098685096.png

Deerfold

Veteran Member
It's always been operated by TV hasn't it?

Since First gave up, yes.

Minor changes to the 701/2. A few extra journeys on the 703 (some faster to/from Bracknell)

From Monday 25 March, we are introducing a brand-new timetable on The London Line 702 and Flightline 703 routes.

This change features an increase in frequency on both The London Line 702 and Flightline 703 routes, which will see up to four buses an hour between Windsor, Slough and Langley during the morning and evening peaks – double the current number of buses.

We have also undertaken a thorough review of the timetable and will be introducing timetable changes and additional resources designed to help ensure that these services run on time.

In time for the Easter holidays, we are also excited to confirm that the new timetable includes extra buses in the morning from London towards Windsor and Legoland, as well as additional journeys back in the evening.

In response to growing customer numbers, there will also be some additional buses in the morning towards London as well as back in the evening for commuters, with services departing London up to every 30 minutes at busy times.

Flightline 703 will also see an increase in the number of journeys that run from Bracknell to Heathrow. Buses will now run up to every 30 minutes along the entire route in the morning and evenings, and continue to run up to every 30 minutes between Slough and Heathrow throughout the day.

On top of this, we are adding more early morning journeys on Flightline 703 between midnight and 3 am to offer a round-the-clock service between Heathrow and Slough.

Along with these changes, we will also be making changes to the times of many journeys on the London Line 701, 702 and Flightline 703 with some services departing earlier or later than the current timetable to help improve punctuality.

You can download our new timetable for the London Line 701/702 here and Flightline 703 here. You can also view the new timetables online and in our journey planner.

the London Line 701

There will be an additional two journeys in the early morning from Reading to Legoland and Slough and three in the evening from Slough and Legoland towards Reading.

Some journeys will depart earlier or later than on the current timetable. All journeys will continue to connect with 702 journeys to/from London.

the London Line 702

On weekday mornings and evenings, there will be additional buses in both directions on the route.

On Saturdays, there will also be additional buses in the evening in both directions.

Many journeys will depart earlier or later than the current timetable to improve punctuality.

In addition to these changes, our extra bus at 1802 from Hammersmith will no longer run.

Flightline 703

In the mornings and evenings, more journeys will run between Bracknell and Heathrow, running up to every 30 minutes.

North Ascot will benefit from an hourly service being reintroduced across much of the day.

Some daytime journeys will additionally serve Heatherwood Hospital's main entrance and some journeys will serve Ascot High Street
There will also be additional buses between midnight and 3 am between Heathrow and Slough.

Some journeys will depart earlier or later than on the current timetable to improve punctuality.

In addition to the timetable changes, we are pleased to confirm the recent introduction of three additional brand-new high-specification buses for Flightline 703 to supplement the ones we introduced last year and support the continued growth of the route.

These vehicles feature spacious and comfortable seating, USB and wireless charging, as well as dedicated luggage space.

We hope you will enjoy the latest improvements to our Windsor Express routes.

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
Since First gave up, yes.

Not quite - it's a Yes and No scenario. Reading Buses took it on after First dropped it, and later went on to purchase Courtney Buses and later rename that Thames Valley Buses. So it's a bit of a shifting from Reading Buses into Thames Valley Buses business. Which makes some degree of sense as it leaves Reading to concentrate on its core area, and TVB / NB to run the Flightline brand especially as it's predominately in the Thames Valley core area. I wonder how long it'll be before the other Newbury operated Flightlines move under the Thames Valley side of the business too.

davews

As somebody who occasionally uses this service to Heatherwood and Windsor these additional services are a welcome improvement. I have tended to take the train to Windsor as the return service was so intermittent. But was never sure who was actually running the service...

Goldfish62

Established Member
As somebody who occasionally uses this service to Heatherwood and Windsor these additional services are a welcome improvement. I have tended to take the train to Windsor as the return service was so intermittent. But was never sure who was actually running the service...
It's quite an expansion of the 703, although from my selfish viewpoint diverting most journeys along the slower routing via North Ascot is a backward step.

Minor changes to the 701/2. A few extra journeys on the 703 (some faster to/from Bracknell)
It's quite a lot of extra journeys on the 703 and a general slowing of journeys by diverting most previous fast ones via North Ascot.

johnsy112

Additionally some services will extend via Ascot High street and then back on track to Legoland. I presume this is faster than via North Ascot but I don’t know why so many buses are going via North Ascot now as there really isn’t much demand.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Additionally some services will extend via Ascot High street and then back on track to Legoland. I presume this is faster than via North Ascot but I don’t know why so many buses are going via North Ascot now as there really isn’t much demand.
Yes, I was very surprised to see that. If anything I'd have expected further reductions.

nctd2306

All 4 Buzz branded buses have finally entered service as 438 debuted on the 300 yesterday, it finds itself oddly on the 600 today despite generic (cow livery) 420 being on the 9, where the Buzzes are supposed to be primarily running

nctd2306

Saw this in Bracknell today, bearing the fleet number of the deceased YX17 NNM.
Anyone able to shed any light on this replacement 667? (when it was purchased, which routes is it planned to primarily operate, what livery it might receive etc)

Attachments

• IMG_20240417_152307.jpg
    IMG_20240417_152307.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 52

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Anyone able to shed any light on this replacement 667? (when it was purchased, which routes is it planned to primarily operate, what livery it might receive etc)
My understanding is that it will initially be used on the new Bracknell Business Improvement District (BID) bus route that performs a loop to/from the railway station for workers on the western an southern industrial estate areas. I can't back this up with a firm source though, as is just what I've been told, so there's every chance it might well end up in a generic Thames Valley livery and the route be operated by any bus going forward. More information about the new route can be found at: https://bracknellbid.co.uk/access/shuttle-bus/#:~:text=Bracknell BID fully funds a,and departures in the evening.

Shuttle Bus​

Free journeys to and from Bracknell Train Station for BID area employees

Bracknell BID fully funds a shuttle bus for BID area employees to use free of charge. The shuttle bus operates on a circuit to and from Bracknell Train Station with journeys in the morning and evening. Bus journey times coordinate with the London Waterloo Train arrivals in the morning and departures in the evening. The shuttle bus is only available to those who work within the BID area (Western and Southern Business Areas). When boarding the shuttle bus, passengers must present their Bracknell BID ‘I Work’ Loyalty Card to the driver to use the service. Everyone who works within the BID area is entitled to a free 'I Work' Loyalty Card.

Route Map​

Bus Route for website

Timetable​

bus timetable

Stops​

Bracknell Railway Station

Bracknell Railway Station
Farleymoor Lake (Western Road)

Farleymoor Lake (Western Road)
Ellesfield Avenue

Ellesfield Avenue
Western Road (Downshire Way)

Western Road (Downshire Way)
Cain Road (The Boulevard)

Cain Road (The Boulevard)
Willoughby Road (The Lightbox)

Willoughby Road (The Lightbox)
Easthampstead Road (Wickes, Western Road)

Easthampstead Road (Wickes, Western Road)
Doncastle Road (Waitrose)

Doncastle Road (Waitrose)
Willoughby Road (Capitol)

Willoughby Road (Capitol)
Milbanke Way (Western Trade Centre, Western Road)

Milbanke Way (Western Trade Centre, Western Road)
Lovelace Road

Lovelace Road
Oldbury

Oldbury

Bus Tracker​

Thames Valley Buses operates the BID Shuttle Bus service for the BID. As part of this service, the bus can be tracked on an interactive map in real time via their website by clicking here or by downloading the Thames Valley Buses app on the App Store for iPhone or Google Play Store for Android devices. When using the app, click on 'Live Times,' turn on the bus tracker on the bottom left of the screen, and select the BID route on the list to track the bus in real time.

JD2168

Ex Richards Brothers in a Traws de Cymru livery.