• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reading - Paddington route set for overhaul - BBC report

Deepgreen

Established Member
To be boringly pedantic, decimation is actually reducing by one tenth (the Roman practice of killing every tenth soldier to encourage the others).

Of course it isn't used that way now :D
I almost posted the same thing, but my dictionary also states that the accepted modern usage means to reduce or damage greatly.

Yesterday Network Rail confirmed exactly the points that Bald Rick states.
Compared with 2018-19 there are now 17% more trains on this stretch of track, 14% more station stops and 38% more tonnage.
Indeed but, I wonder, was that situation taken into account with maintenance plans? Or was the inevitable failure escalation just accepted as inevitable and to be 'lived with'?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nickswift99

I almost posted the same thing, but my dictionary also states that the accepted modern usage means to reduce or damage greatly.

Indeed but, I wonder, was that situation taken into account with maintenance plans? Or was the inevitable failure escalation just accepted as inevitable and to be 'lived with'?
When NR approve TOCs timetables, does anyone actually stop to think about infrastructure impact, or do they just focus on whether a timetable will "work"?

The Planner

Veteran Member
When NR approve TOCs timetables, does anyone actually stop to think about infrastructure impact, or do they just focus on whether a timetable will "work"?
Yes, there are various risk processes to go through. It used to be called TCRAG (Timetable Change Risk Assessment Group), but has another fancy title now I can't remember.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Yes, there are various risk processes to go through. It used to be called TCRAG (Timetable Change Risk Assessment Group), but has another fancy title now I can't remember.

TP-RAP (Train Plan Risk Assurance Panel).

Tomos y Tanc

To be boringly pedantic, decimation is actually reducing by one tenth (the Roman practice of killing every tenth soldier to encourage the others).

Of course it isn't used that way now :D
To be boringly pedantic, you're wrong.

Now back to the topic.

Thames99

To be boringly pedantic, you're wrong.

Thanks Tomos - your link contains the brilliant Life of Brian Latin grammar lesson which is always good to watch again!

mtmikethom

Overhead line issues for the second day running today around Ealing, doesn’t to be the same place today as yesterday, much disruption to Elizabeth line with down trains running fast Ealing Bdy to West Drayton/Heathrow this afternoon, been a unit stuck at Ealing Bdy for a few hours on the down relief it looks.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Overhead line issues for the second day running today around Ealing, doesn’t to be the same place today as yesterday, much disruption to Elizabeth line with down trains running fast Ealing Bdy to West Drayton/Heathrow this afternoon, been a unit stuck at Ealing Bdy for a few hours on the down relief it looks.
Fairly sure yesterday's incident at Ealing Broadway was nothing to do with the maintenance of the infrastructure.

mtmikethom

Fairly sure yesterday's incident at Ealing Broadway was nothing to do with the maintenance of the infrastructure.
An only going by what seemed to put out yesterday evening, GWR were using the relief lines though, TfL seem to be very poor with info on the Elizabeth line when it’s disrupted.

Acton1991

Seems to still be having issues at nearly 2200 this evening. Anyone have any updates? Yet another day of big delays.

JN114

Established Member

Monday was nothing to do with infra/maintenance.

Tuesday was OLE damage on the Down Main at Ealing

Wednesday has been OLE damage on the Down Relief near Ealing, and now a nasty points failure at Southall.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Tuesday and Wednesday have both been OLE related.

Monday, whilst not being OLE related did necessitate an emergency switch off of power which took a prolonged period of time to restore.

Extra overnight engineering works have been taking place since 2200 the last few weeks in response to the major Thames Valley problems over the last 12 months, although that has mainly been for ground-based asset management.

An only going by what seemed to put out yesterday evening, GWR were using the relief lines though, TfL seem to be very poor with info on the Elizabeth line when it’s disrupted.

Was related to a rather serious trespasser event.