• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reading Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

96tommy

I am going to Reading hopefully next Friday. I have never been before but I wanted to know what trains go there and how much freight goes through.

Thank You

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwoll1e

Turbos, Voyagers, HSTs, Junipers you may see Desiros depending on what SWT are using on the Reading - Waterloo line.

Reading does have it's fair share of freight passing through too :)

Drsatan

Established Member
If you want to see Freightliner trains heading to Southampton go to Reading West station. This is because they take the Reading West curve which avoids Reading station.

96tommy

Thanks for the information!! What is the freight mostly I will be staying there around 2/3 hours 12-14:30, do you think at least one will go through

Metroland

Established Member
The Southampton bound freightliners go round the curve the other side of the station almost out of view, you'd have to see them at Tilehurst to get anywhere near them.

kestrel

Thanks for the information!! What is the freight mostly I will be staying there around 2/3 hours 12-14:30, do you think at least one will go through
Head for Reading West, always good about that time for FLi's plus you'll get all the usual HST/Turbo/Voyagers and some 59's;)

For food drink etc there's a mac's next to the stn;)

Just remember to take precautions like a stab vest. Reading West is in a less than salubrious area, where druggies & robberies are common.

LE Greys

Established Member
Usually expect one Merehead-Acton stone train coming up from the Berks & Hants. They sometimes do a big crossover move onto the up relief, which blocks the down main for five minutes and probably explains why they want to put in a diveunder. The empties go back the other way (naturally). Either should produce a 59.

GearJammer

Just remember to take precautions like a stab vest. Reading West is in a less than salubrious area, where druggies & robberies are common.

For that reason alone i would avoid Reading West, its not worth it for a few Freightliners and i should imagine it gets a tedious between trains, where as at Reading itself theres always something going on to keep you amused but it depends what you want to see, if you want the Freightliners then if i were you i'd go to Didcot, if you don't mind missing them then stay at Reading itself and enjoy the stone trains and the HST's!

TGV

I'd suggest this - stay at Reading for a half hour or so and see what you see. Then jump on a Basingstoke service (Either Cross Country or GW), it only takes 20 minutes or so. Once at Basingstoke, you'll see a whole lot of other stuff including... your Freight services crossing over the SWML en route to/from Southampton. Then once you've seen one, jump back on a Reading train and jobsagoodun.

B'stoke station has loads of services too - coffee, restaurants, WHSmith, etc.... much better choice than Reading West.

Status
Not open for further replies.