• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reading stn

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebell007

Hi there, looking to take my 2 autistic teens to Reading stn for some train spotting, can any one local please advise me as to the best times and days to see some good freight workings please, I dont have an up to date phone to track real time trains etc whilst there and need to book the day in advance, looking at May 2019, many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tw99

Hi there, looking to take my 2 autistic teens to Reading stn for some train spotting, can any one local please advise me as to the best times and days to see some good freight workings please, I dont have an up to date phone to track real time trains etc whilst there and need to book the day in advance, looking at May 2019, many thanks

You'd probably see more freight at Tilehurst than Reading, as you'd also catch the trains going from the North&West towards Southampton.

As an example, this was today's traffic between 1000-1800. Note that only about half of it actually ran though.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...1/22/1000-1800?stp=WVS&show=freight&order=wtt

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Didcot is another good viewing area , with the GWS handy , and a stabling point. (not much of value in Didcot town itself though , alas)

bluebell007

Didcot is another good viewing area , with the GWS handy , and a stabling point. (not much of value in Didcot town itself though , alas)
hope to take the boys to the didcot centre later this year, was just using reading as a test trip in how they cope that far from home.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
hope to take the boys to the didcot centre later this year, was just using reading as a test trip in how they cope that far from home.

Depending on your travel arrangements , in the area I highly commend the Pendon exhibition , the Vale of the White horse and the GWR in the 1930's. Quite amazing. Need a car though really.

bluebell007

Depending on your travel arrangements , in the area I highly commend the Pendon exhibition , the Vale of the White horse and the GWR in the 1930's. Quite amazing. Need a car though really.
Hi, thanks for the info, we went many years but hope to go back soon, taxi is not bad from didcot parkway

Status
Not open for further replies.