• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reading to Didcot line spotting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthurfical

Which station is best between reading and Didcot for spotting freight which isn’t reading or Didcot?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

davetheguard

Established Member
You will find that most if not all of the main line platforms (at all the stations) are gated off.

However, Goring has (or certainly did when I was last there about five years ago) a second station exit off the Down Main platform, so presumably there's access to that as well as the Relief Line platforms.

Pangbourne has not had a Down Main platform since the track was slewed to increase the line speed in the '70s.

My personnel view is that Goring & Streatley is the most pleasant of the four intermediate stations to spend time at, and well located right in the centre of Goring (Streatley is the other side of the river in Berkshire), so handy -in normal times anyway- for pubs & cafes.

Having said that, if you're looking to take photographs, you might want to consider Cholsey, as there's no footbridge to potentially get in the way, and the platforms are elevated on an embankment, so possibly better light levels?

Last edited:

However, Goring has (or certainly did when I was last there about five years ago) a second station exit off the Down Main platform, so presumably there's access to that as well as the Relief Line platforms.

I think that's still there, but there may be a gate between the entrance + footbridge and the edge of the platform -- but maybe not high enough to obstruct the view. This picture shows the arrangement before the new footbridge was built.

At Cholsey I don't recall there being anything to stop you opening the gates to the main line platforms.

However, freight trains will presumably be mostly on the relief lines anyway.

Kite159

Veteran Member
If you don't want to stay on the station, there is a footpath footbridge close to Tilehurst station (gives access to the Thames Path).

Status
Not open for further replies.