• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reading: which loos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdeaves

Established Member
This NR press release: https://www.networkrailmediacentre....tation-reopened-following-major-refurbishment starts
The toilets at Reading station have reopened to the public today (6 July), following a £380,000 major refurbishment of the facilities, during the recent lockdown.
What it apparently doesn't say is to which toilets this refers. Is it a bunch on the platforms? Larger ones just behind platform 1-3 buffers underneath the overbridge? Some others?

If anyone knows I would be grateful if you could share! Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
This NR press release: https://www.networkrailmediacentre....tation-reopened-following-major-refurbishment starts

What it apparently doesn't say is to which toilets this refers. Is it a bunch on the platforms? Larger ones just behind platform 1-3 buffers underneath the overbridge? Some others?

If anyone knows I would be grateful if you could share! Thanks.
The older toilets in the 1970s, (actually late 80s - see below), public side concourse were in a pretty poor state, I’d hope it would be them.

Last edited:

Non Multi

The Brunel Arcade was built in the late '80s. Must be those loos, everything else is less than 10 years old.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Yes it's the toilets in the Brunel Arcade (dating from 1989 according to Wikipedia). They've got rid of the "McWash"-style machines and put in sinks with motion-sensing taps and a large mirror behind, and Dyson "air blade" hand dryers. My subjective opinion is that the quality of the work and finish is higher than in the toilets on the platforms.

David Goddard

Established Member
Well overdue, they were getting very tired. Their location means that they are heavily used by all and sundry including those not using the trains (to be honest I have used them before catching the bus home) Its a shame this wasn't built into the 2010-15 rebuilt but that did not touch anything outside of the main gateline.
I just hope that these do not end up getting flooded as often as the newer facilities on the platforms. There are often pools of water in those (and I don't think its down to users, moreso the way that the taps spray so violently into the basins and bounce out over the floor).

Status
Not open for further replies.