• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Real-time information on the train

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a recent thread we heard about changes to a train's stops that some passengers say they didn't find out about until it was too late.

Communication difficulties between the guard and driver aren't impossible to imagine, but rarely seem to be the reason for any problems, so we can assume that they are normally in agreement.

Guards are almost always conscientious and try to inform us, the masses with our headphones on, so the Passenger Information System could be the last line of defence.

Even when things go well, we have trains with the PIS switched off, not knowing where it is, or knowing where it is but thinking it's travelling in the other direction.

I find it very strange that for the (at least) ten years that it's been eminently possible, so few new British trains have real-time information on board showing expected times, connections and cancelled stops of the sort that is now common to find in, say, France, Germany and Belgium. But I'm sure some do, and I'd like to ask who's seen this in use in GB?

Having basic information included in the on-board Wi-Fi is useful, but this really needs to be shown for all to see.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdeaves

Established Member
I noticed onboard 'live' connection information on Northern's new 195s. However, it wasn't as much help as it might have been in complex/busy areas because of all the other stuff the screen was scrolling through so it didn't display long enough to pick out the bit you want. Also, on the Windermere branch, following 'connections' at intermediate stations were the same train going back again or the next train in the same direction an hour later ("Change at Kendal for Windermere"-type information on a Windermere train).

Trackman

Established Member
I've seen them on the new Northern 331s (I think that is the class).
I think when it is approaching a station it stays on that screen and tells you which side the doors will open and realtime connection info, even if it's a double back to the previous station.
Dunno about wi-fi, but it did have screens to contact BTP and there was one about 'Cyber-Flashing' which I've never heard of before.

BayPaul

Established Member
They do seem to range from barely acceptable to dire. It is difficult to understand how a system that is really fairly basic can be spec'd built and set up so badly, so consistently. Obvious features that should be included for my mind would include:
  • Intelligent live connection info, not displaying the silly connections that pdeaves lists above, and approaching Clapham Junction, for example, listing perhaps 6 connections that are appropriate for a train coming from that direction.
  • Knowing roughly where it is - so it never displays the wrong next station
  • Good prioritisation of messages, for example when standing at a station the next message should be the train's destination, not telling you to mind your step.
  • The ability to update the calling pattern
  • The ability to have alert messages for (genuinely) important information such as changed calling pattern - for example having a different tone on the audio, and a flashing screen on the visual
  • The system can be operated by control, for example during an emergency, giving more time to the train crew.
  • Standard messages that can be played quickly in an emergency, for example to discourage uncontrolled disembarkation
  • Platform side and length updated in real time when the platform is assigned
  • Automatic PA checking - so out of order speakers are automatically flagged to maintenance

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Given that the existing information systems (NRE, ToC apps, station boards and third party services like RTT etc) all struggle themselves when there's disruption, I am not sure if there is even an option that would make it worth putting such real time information onboard services. I'd prefer the industry focus on that general information problem first before trying to be clever about using it onboard services otherwise it would just cause even more chaos! Its the age old issue of bad information and misinformation being worse than no information.

Last edited:

Driver2B

In a recent thread we heard about changes to a train's stops that some passengers say they didn't find out about until it was too late. Communication difficulties between the guard and driver aren't impossible to imagine, but rarely seem to be the reason for any problems, so we can assume that they are normally in agreement. Guards are almost always conscientious and try to inform us, the masses with our headphones on, so the Passenger Information System could be the last line of defence. Even when things go well, we have trains with the PIS switched off, not knowing where it is, or knowing where it is but thinking it's travelling in the other direction. I find it very strange that for the (at least) ten years that it's been eminently possible, so few new British trains have real-time information on board showing expected times, connections and cancelled stops of the sort that is now common to find in, say, France, Germany and Belgium. But I'm sure some do, and I'd like to ask who's seen this in use in GB? Having basic information included in the on-board Wi-Fi is useful, but this really needs to be shown for all to see.

As a driver, poor passenger information is a big bug-bear for my colleagues and I.

Thank you for acknowledging that guards are usually concientious. This is true. I know I have seen the guard being shouted at by a passenger who claimed that no announcement was made that the train was not stopping at four consecutive stations (this train wasn't timetabled at any point to stop at these stations and they hadn't been advertised online or on PIS at any point anyway). I heard (from the driving cab), the guard make many, very clear announcements, which would have been clearly audible the first carriage, at least.

First of all, we (staff) all know that PA announcements either don't work, or are stupidly quiet in some carriages. This is a problem on the TOC I work for and on the TOC that I use to travel to/from work. This is not able to be checked on prep (a daily safety check by either drivers or depot staff) and is probably not checked regularly at depots, either. If there was a "test announcement" function on the PA system, the PA could be checked on prep (by a continous test announcement being played at the staff member walked through the interior of the train). This doesn't seem to be a difficult thing to add to new trains, but TOCs will be wary about whether they want it - they don't really want to have large numbers of carriages locked out of use or trains taken out of service!

Regarding PIS being "switched off" (or rather, having no code programmed in), this often happens at weekends during engineering works or at rush hours when trains have unusual stopping patterns. Each journey with a set of stops has a code, which is programmed in to the PIS. If a train is stopping additionally at an unusual stop, or not stopping at a stop which it usually does, there's no code that can be programmed in. Some trains can have the text of the destination programmed to be visually displayed without calling points, but others can't. There are fairly regular weekend engineering work routes that have no PIS code and, therefore, traincrew are unable to get the PIS to display it making it appear "switched off".

I think all new trains should have a PIS system where you can enter in codes and it recognises the stations that service stops at in blue (or another colour of your choice) and stations it passes through in grey. The guard (or driver on DOO services) should be able to toggle stations between blue and grey to create bespoke stopping patterns. If this were possible, a lot more weekend services would have PIS annoucements.

I always get puzzled by PIS systems thinking the train is going in the opposite direction - I believe that it human error entering the wrong code. But please be aware that some services are circular services and on some types of trains, they advertise the whole route and final destination throughout.

Sometimes trains do lose track of where they are, particularly when stations are situated very close together. On at least one type of train, this can only be amended once on the route. If it needs being amended again, it will need to be reprogrammed, which on this stock can take minutes, and really needs to be stationary while doing so, so on this type of train, it would most likely just get knocked out.

You may have noticed tha the 707s have live information about London Underground services, so displaying live information is possible. It just depends on who does it and how it's communicated.

At stations, PIS screens (and accompanying announcements) should warn passengers about trains passing through without stopping. When you are driving a train sceduled along a route and not stopping, this works quite well. When you are running a late-planned not in service train, or you are diverted from another route, or you have a non-stopping order for certain stations, this is not always displayed on PIS screens. If travelling at high speeds, this creates a huge safety risk.

A couple of weeks ago, I was diverted and approached a station which I was not stopping at at around 60mph. The Rule Book tells us to blow our horns on approach if we were due to stop there, but we should ordinarily not blow our horns if we were not due to stop (ie, empties, diverted, etc.). I didn't blow my horn from the usual distance because I was diverted and not previously due to stop (or even pass through) this station. The hoards stepped towards the yellow line so I blew my horn, but most didn't clock that I was approaching very quickly, and continued to step forward. I again blew my horn, by this time, partly in the platform, before passengers realised that a 60mph train was not going to be stopping and jumped back. This is not nearly the first time this has happened.

I realised when I saw them step forward that the PIS had probably not advertised my train, and looking at the PIS as I was passing through, verified that this was correct. I then blew my horn on approach to other stations on the route, assuming the same thing might happen at those. About 50% of stations did not have many people preparing to board my train and the PIS showed that the next train was not stopping, but the other 50% people did stand up and start to move towards the platform edge and the PIS at these stations advertised the next service in x minutes.

This is a safety risk for passengers and, as a driver, the thought of passengers falling or being sucked under my train, is a nightmare. Unfortunately, although the railway has an attitude of minimising any tiny risk in some areas, seem to be completely unaware of risk in others (this being one such case).

There are some stations where my train is often not advertised on the platform it arrives, but another platform, which confuses customers (and at one station, make hoards run towards the subway!)

I would like to see a team under operations control responsible for keeping station PIS announcements correct, and I agree with you, that they should also be able to do this for on-train annoucements of newer stock. This should be viewed as being safety critical, rather than just for information purposes. "The doors are on the left/right" would also be useful at major stations where the train could arrive at a number of platforms, and at major termini where rush hour passengers like to be waiting by the doors.

Regarding non-stopping, the driver is usually the last to know. I've started a train from a station with certain stations not showing on the PIS and asked by a passenger if I'm stopping. My response is that in this case the PIS is usually right, but I've not yet been informed of this. Sometimes the guard calls me up and says, "Driver, I'm just checking you know ..." and the answer is no, so the guard can formally tell me. Sometimes the signaller calls me up and says, "Driver, I'm just checking you know ..." and the answer is no, so the signaller can formally tell me. It's a good job they check because a message often doesn't get to me any other way.

jonnyfan

TrainFX can (surprisingly) be quite good at providing up to date information, at least the version used by Northern. We enter in the headcode of the service and select the exact time of the service, and it uses a live update from Darwin so when calling patterns and destinations change, the system automatically displays this information. There has been the odd occasion where this had not worked but on the whole it does work well, though if the change happens mid-journey I think the headcode has to be re-entered into TrainFX to load the most up to date info. The main issue of course with TrainFX is it can be buggy and performance & reliability varies by unit. The PIS system on the 195s & 331s is also meant to auto-update when there are changes, if the journey is updated by someone in control - in reality I have yet to see this work, but there is a host of other issues with the PIS system that I would say that is low on the list of priorities.

Given that the existing information systems (NRE, ToC apps, station boards and third party services like RTT etc) all struggle themselves when there's disruption, I am not sure if there is even an option that would make it worth putting such real time information onboard services.
Understood, but ignoring third parties and apps for now, the station systems and Darwin should have been in-sync and the train systems could easily have a feed from Darwin and thus show the same information. I'm not trying to discuss the problem in the other closed thread, other to note that the 'problem' stop was cancelled in Darwin in good time for everyone to know about it, an hour before it got there and half an hour before the first of three previous stops.

Still, as Driver2B notes, the systems could all be showing the same info but still be wrong (and thanks for that long, interesting answer). At my local station, the old platform announcement system would always announce a train that wasn't stopping, even before it was fully commissioned and could announce anything else at all! The new, ubiquitous Worldline system sometimes misses non-stopping trains, or is perhaps just late with the message. At another station on the same line, I was patiently awaiting my last train, an hour late, wondering how it was making up time so fast according to the display on the platform. I found out why when it went through without stopping.

I'd hope that the more places you'd see the same thing, the more importance would be given to making sure that it's up-to-date. I don't know what the controllers do, does a change go into TRUST first? That should then be in Darwin and all its clients very quickly afterwards, I'd have thought.

Driver2B

Driver2B- thank you for this very informative post. RAIB observations about the 'near miss' of someone on the track at Rowlands Castle makes just that observation regarding on-platform info re trains not stopping; https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#search/RAIB/FMfcgzGlkFrjXKcrpTpSRgTJFWxqqxvc.
Looking forward to some serious 'Lessons Learned' ACTIONS.

Thank you, @BrianW ,

I'm glad that you found my post informative.

Thank you for mentioning the report of Rowlands Castle - I wasn't aware of it.
I think the correct link is: https://www.gov.uk/raib-reports/rep...-a-member-of-staff-at-rowlands-castle-station

In this particular case, the Moble Operations Manager (MOM) should have arranged line protection correctly, and shouldn't have been relying on the PIS, but another example of PIS failures.

py_megapixel

Established Member
TrainFX can (surprisingly) be quite good at providing up to date information, at least the version used by Northern. We enter in the headcode of the service and select the exact time of the service, and it uses a live update from Darwin so when calling patterns and destinations change, the system automatically displays this information. There has been the odd occasion where this had not worked but on the whole it does work well, though if the change happens mid-journey I think the headcode has to be re-entered into TrainFX to load the most up to date info. The main issue of course with TrainFX is it can be buggy and performance & reliability varies by unit. The PIS system on the 195s & 331s is also meant to auto-update when there are changes, if the journey is updated by someone in control - in reality I have yet to see this work, but there is a host of other issues with the PIS system that I would say that is low on the list of priorities.
I've been quite impressed by TrainFX on the Northern services I've been on recently. I just wish someone had actually put some thought into the formatting of the displays.

There was also one time I was travelling along the Mid Cheshire line from Chester and the train left with "Welcome about this Northern service" on the displays, then about 15 minutes later the auto announcer piped up with:
"Welcome aboard the This is the Northern We will shortly be arriving at Mou This is Moulds This is the Northern We will shortly be arriving at Delamere!"

It seems like the announcements all got stuck in some kind of queue until just before Delamere? Not sure why it would do that though.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I find it a little disappointing that in today's world, so many trains (even new ones) tend to just stick with a dot matrix, scrolling style PIS on-board. There's certainly a place for that, but there's so much more information that can be provided. 700 / 707 / 345 stock is a step in the right direction, as are things like the Heathrow Express 387s (with videos and corresponding airport departures) and also TrainFX (when it works properly), but it's still the minority of services. Communication and information are absoloutely vital aspects of public transport; people won't mention when they work well, but when they don't work they absoutely kick off. These can be supplemented by manual announcements as required, but good verbal and audio information is vital. It also gives passengers peace of mind. Even allowing on-train crew options to add a basic special notice if there is disruption (or allowing Control to post, which some TOCs have access for) would be beneficial.

The same is somewhat true of stations; whilst new display screens (such as some new ones at Waterloo & Victoria) are starting to appear - as well as interactive ones - the majority are just bulk orange dot matrix screens with the scrolling departures board which don't give as much information as could be provided and its been like this for 15-20 years now. Whilst cost is of course a barrier, and too much information is also a issue in itself, there's certainly progress to be made in this area. Station systems are of course more in-sync though with the use of Darwin and easier to change on the fly as normally someone has got the CIS control on the station, or they do centrally at Route Control.

It's also effectively a safety improvement - if people know exactly where they are going and when, or what is happening, they are less likely to get frustrated and less likely to cause issues such as egress or walk onto live track as incidents most recently at Swindon, Lewisham or previously at Kentish Town have shown. For really major incidents, it is unfortunate (but understandable) that load-shedding means that on-board PIS is one of the first things to go with then power is off.

Last edited:

Driver2B

I find it a little disappointing that in today's world, so many trains (even new ones) tend to just stick with a dot matrix, scrolling style PIS on-board. There's certainly a place for that, but there's so much more information that can be provided. 700 / 707 / 345 stock is a step in the right direction, as are things like the Heathrow Express 387s (with videos and corresponding airport departures) and also TrainFX (when it works properly), but it's still the minority of services. Communication and information are absoloutely vital aspects of public transport; people won't mention when they work well, but when they don't work they absoutely kick off. These can be supplemented by manual announcements as required, but good verbal and audio information is vital. It also gives passengers peace of mind. Even allowing on-train crew options to add a basic special notice if there is disruption (or allowing Control to post, which some TOCs have access for) would be beneficial.

The same is somewhat true of stations; whilst new display screens (such as some new ones at Waterloo & Victoria) are starting to appear - as well as interactive ones - the majority are just bulk orange dot matrix screens with the scrolling departures board which don't give as much information as could be provided and its been like this for 15-20 years now. Whilst cost is of course a barrier, and too much information is also a issue in itself, there's certainly progress to be made in this area. Station systems are of course more in-sync though with the use of Darwin and easier to change on the fly as normally someone has got the CIS control on the station, or they do centrally at Route Control.

<sarcasm>The British rail industry, always on the cutting edge of innovation and so eager to embrace change!</sarcasm>

ComUtoR

Established Member
If there was a "test announcement" function on the PA system, the PA could be checked on prep (by a continous test announcement being played at the staff member walked through the interior of the train). This doesn't seem to be a difficult thing to add to new trains...

I'm pretty sure that almost every train in the country has this function already built in. There was a 'wtf' moment on a course I was on the other day when it was demonstrated.

Driver2B

I'm pretty sure that almost every train in the country has this function already built in. There was a 'wtf' moment on a course I was on the other day when it was demonstrated.

It's never been demonstrated on any traction course I've been on and it doesn't appear in any Prep & Disposal manuals that I have. It doesn't surprise me that it is fitted but it needs to be added to prep and disposal manuals and needs to be included on prep, but I think it comes back to what I said earlier ...

but TOCs will be wary about whether they want it - they don't really want to have large numbers of carriages locked out of use or trains taken out of service!

Llandudno

Established Member
I noticed onboard 'live' connection information on Northern's new 195s. However, it wasn't as much help as it might have been in complex/busy areas because of all the other stuff the screen was scrolling through so it didn't display long enough to pick out the bit you want. Also, on the Windermere branch, following 'connections' at intermediate stations were the same train going back again or the next train in the same direction an hour later ("Change at Kendal for Windermere"-type information on a Windermere train).
I agree for the most part the connection information on Northern’s 195 trains is excellent especially the indication of platform numbers.

Unfortunately you only get 5 seconds to take in the information before the screen moves onto 20+ other messages. It is as painful as the old Teletext holiday adverts, page 1 of 50 etc!

HowardGWR

Established Member
The best PIS I have come across is on Dutch Sprinters. The square PIS tells you where you are, where the next stop is, when you will reach it and then the further stops down the line. If you are blind, the automated announcements tell you the same thing, as you approach the next stop, when you are stopped, and then when you start off again. The voice is feminine, it is clear and comforting. Extraneous announcements that plague British trains are absent and only the guard sometimes comes on in order to tell you something interesting. He or she will always begin such announcements with 'Ladies and Gentlemen, good evening'.(for instance).

Good manners cost nothing.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Understood, but ignoring third parties and apps for now, the station systems and Darwin should have been in-sync and the train systems could easily have a feed from Darwin and thus show the same information. I'm not trying to discuss the problem in the other closed thread, other to note that the 'problem' stop was cancelled in Darwin in good time for everyone to know about it, an hour before it got there and half an hour before the first of three previous stops.
I don't think you can just ignore apps etc though. Imagine if the real time information on this hypothetical train connected to say Darwin says something that the passenger is not expecting. Maybe its an additional stop, maybe its a skipped stop, maybe its an early termination etc. The very first thing 90% of the public will do these days is check their phones. So if apps etc aren't aligned with the same information as the trains are, it is just going to cause chaos.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I don't think you can just ignore apps etc though. Imagine if the real time information on this hypothetical train connected to say Darwin says something that the passenger is not expecting. Maybe its an additional stop, maybe its a skipped stop, maybe its an early termination etc. The very first thing 90% of the public will do these days is check their phones. So if apps etc aren't aligned with the same information as the trains are, it is just going to cause chaos.

Some apps are completely unsynced with Darwin of course and will therefore show inaccurate information in the event of disruption. Google Maps being one and things like Trainline has lots of aspects like "predicted platforms" which people think are real, or glitch out when trains no longer call.

applepie2100

Our friends on the continent seem to have been managing quite successfully for a good number of years now to have high quality real time information available onboard their trains. Most German and Austrian rolling sock has a good mixture of dot matrix/LED scrolling displays and LCD full colour displays. They display simple and clear information both about the service itself and on approach to to stations information about services from said station including platform details and real time departure times/alterations etc. Any advertising is simple and never seems to take precedence over service information. They also ensure that security info/covid waffle etc is kept for static posters and not repeated ad-infinitum on displays and through announcements.

Perhaps we need to look and learn.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Our friends on the continent seem to have been managing quite successfully for a good number of years now to have high quality real time information available onboard their trains. Most German and Austrian rolling sock has a good mixture of dot matrix/LED scrolling displays and LCD full colour displays. They display simple and clear information both about the service itself and on approach to to stations information about services from said station including platform details and real time departure times/alterations etc. Any advertising is simple and never seems to take precedence over service information. They also ensure that security info/covid waffle etc is kept for static posters and not repeated ad-infinitum on displays and through announcements.

Perhaps we need to look and learn.

The continent?! But they're the enemy now!

Ken H

On Moderation
I watched the northern display between skipton and leeds a few weeks ago. It had the connections going back to where we had come from. But the display changed too fast. And most of the time showed stuff about wearing masks and BTP stuff about staring. Sorry, it should show train info, not guff.

BrianW

Established Member
The continent?! But they're the enemy now!
We've never been good at learning from others, sharing good practice etc. It's cultural- more private, less 'communal' ...
Reticence, resistance to change ... as seen in other threads?
Customer focus? It'll take time.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Some apps are completely unsynced with Darwin of course and will therefore show inaccurate information in the event of disruption. Google Maps being one and things like Trainline has lots of aspects like "predicted platforms" which people think are real, or glitch out when trains no longer call.
OK but when the actual ToCs apps still can't get it right and show vastly different information compared to station boards and to what's actually happening then can we admit there's a massive problem? We aren't just talking about third party apps like Google Maps or even industry apps like The trainline. We are talking about official ToC apps like GWRs own app or even national rail enquiries. If those official sources still can't get it right then I've no idea how anyone can think having real time info on board trains is doable!

Parallel

Established Member
The newer of the CIS systems rolled out across the central belt in Scotland doesn’t seem to be able to say the platform number when a fast train is passing. I think it says ‘Stand clear of the platform edge, fast train approaching’. At some stations, the message plays about a second before the train flies through, not giving people chance to stand back.

I also witnessed someone bending over very close to the edge of the platform at Meadowhall tying their shoelace up just when a train was about to fly through. I was considering shouting but thankfully the driver sounded the horn and the lady moved. The announcements at Meadowhall are broken and expected to be out of service for some time as replacement parts are needed.

With on board TrainFX PIS on GWR, I believe stops can be added in or removed when trains are running with different calling patterns but this must require time and not all guards seem to do it. I think the IETs are harder to alter.

Transport for Wales also use TrainFX, I’m not sure if stops can be added in manually or not. I think the system for their 175s is different and I’ve never experienced it being switched on or off mid journey, unlike TrainFX. Last time I used a 175, it couldn’t even show or announce East Didsbury, which was a station the train was booked to stop at. It just showed ‘Manchester Piccadilly’ a second time.

Metal_gee_man

I agree with 95% of everything everyone has added but remember screens mustn't have too much information, too many colours and too many announcements because of PRM requirements, a black and white LCD is simple for a partially blind person to see by being able to recognise shapes, but a fast scrolling one isn't, too many colours can be challenging for some and someone with autism won't want to hear the same announcement 10 times in 20 mins

One very well designed system, well supported with live updates and simplified to reduce people tuning out to the voice is required and in my opinion the best design I've seen isn't the Thameslink/Desiro cities but what is in use on GA on the 745/755s and the similar system on the 720s

plymothian

With on board TrainFX PIS on GWR, I believe stops can be added in or removed when trains are running with different calling patterns but this must require time and not all guards seem to do it. I think the IETs are harder to alter.

Stops can only be removed, not added on all GWR stock - including the 80x and request stops don't appear at all (some are mentioned upon departure from the previous compulsory stop, but not in all cases).
GWR PIS are reliant on preprogrammed 4 digit codes (headcodes on 80x), which are only produced on timetable changes, so short term planned changes are allocated no code (class 80x fair better as they have a headcode, but even so a 1Zxx very short term train has to run its PIS under the original headcode).
Sometimes it is possible to cobble together a stopping pattern from an existing code by removing stops, but it is impossible to build one from scratch or if the destination is unusual or if additional stops are added.

BayPaul

Established Member
Stops can only be removed, not added on all GWR stock - including the 80x and request stops don't appear at all (some are mentioned upon departure from the previous compulsory stop, but not in all cases).
GWR PIS are reliant on preprogrammed 4 digit codes (headcodes on 80x), which are only produced on timetable changes, so short term planned changes are allocated no code (class 80x fair better as they have a headcode, but even so a 1Zxx very short term train has to run its PIS under the original headcode).
Sometimes it is possible to cobble together a stopping pattern from an existing code by removing stops, but it is impossible to build one from scratch or if the destination is unusual or if additional stops are added.
Wow. How did anyone think that was a sensible setup. I can't quite understand why train crew need to get involved at all, and why the system can't just download the calling pattern from the same database (Darwin?) as the station systems get their info from, with the ability for train crew to amend, of course.

Stompehh

I agree with 95% of everything everyone has added but remember screens mustn't have too much information, too many colours and too many announcements because of PRM requirements, a black and white LCD is simple for a partially blind person to see by being able to recognise shapes, but a fast scrolling one isn't, too many colours can be challenging for some and someone with autism won't want to hear the same announcement 10 times in 20 mins

One very well designed system, well supported with live updates and simplified to reduce people tuning out to the voice is required and in my opinion the best design I've seen isn't the Thameslink/Desiro cities but what is in use on GA on the 745/755s and the similar system on the 720s
I agree the system on the 755s is very good. My only criticism is that it scrolls through the screens too quickly, so it can be difficult to digest the information, even for someone who knows what they're looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.