• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Realtrain tumes branch line info correct

Jamiescott1

I submitted a delay repay request for an hours delay yesterday and it came back saying my delay was only 30 minutes.

My proposed journey was
Marlow 0606 to bourne end arrive at 0613
Bourne end 0616 to maidenhead arrive 0627
Maidenhead 0633 to Paddington arrive 0652

The 0606 from marlow is formed of the 0550 arrival from maidenhead

Arrived at marlow on foot at 0558 and about 10 people waiting but no train. The electronic display said 0606 on time.

Realtrain times said that the 0550 was going to arrive into marlow at 0621 therefore being unable to form the 0606.

The train arrived at 0621 and formed the 0636 to Bourne end.
There wss further delays on the other line which are reflected on realtimetrains.co.uk and resulted in the 1 hour delay.

I've just checked realtraintimes for the yesterday's 0606 marlow service and it says it ran on time.
It also says that the 0550 arrival from Maidenhead left Maidenhead at 0559 and arrived in marlow at 0558. Meaning it made the 23 minute journey in -1 minute.

Is this a common glitch on RTT with small branch lines

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
This train arrived at Paddington at 0751¾ which counts as 59 minutes late, not 60.

As for the Marlow branch, it would appear to be signalled in such a way that the open data feed will not pick up actual times.

Jamiescott1

mikeb42

That's rather frustrating as my watch said it was 0753 when it arrived

As a regular GWR sufferer you may know this anyway, but unfortunately this happens a lot at Paddington. The industry data goes by occupation of signalling berths. At Paddington those leading up to the buffer stops seem to be about half a mile long. In this era the trains crawl along at an agonisingly slow pace for most of that. This wastes more of everyone's valuable time in pursuit of an infinitesimal safety benefit and results in this situation with Delay Repay.

In the brief lifetime of the (often not) super-fast services from Bristol it got to the point where I would film the clock on the platform when we were finally let off the always-late service I regularly used. The delay was compounded by The Railway's insistence on coupling the train to one that was already in the platform before unlocking the doors, oblivious to taking several further minutes from the lives of each of a few hundred paying customers for its own operational convenience.

It's safe to say that trying to get anyone to acknowledge the many times that the actual delay suffered crossed the 15 minute boundary was as futile as stacking water.

Robski_

This train arrived at Paddington at 0751¾ which counts as 59 minutes late, not 60.
That's todays train, not yesterdays train (02/05/2024).

Darwin says the train was estimated to arrive into Paddington at 0752 (the actual time was never reported for some reason - possibly related to a data outage that happened at 07:50). It also suggests that the 0606 train ran as booked, as an actual arrival time has been manually reported for Bourne End.

0616 from Bourne End reported as arriving 18 minutes late into Maidenhead at 06:45. Therefore, GWR's system probably thinks that OP took the 07:02 from Maidenhead, arriving at 07:24.

Veteran Member
0616 from Bourne End reported as arriving 18 minutes late into Maidenhead at 06:45.
Which is consistent with the 0525 Maidenhead-Marlow running 33 late throughout.
Therefore, GWR's system probably thinks that OP took the 07:02 from Maidenhead, arriving at 07:24.
...on the basis that the 0606 Marlow ran in time to connect with it, which would have happened if it had left by 0624.

I think this needs an email pointing out what actually happened.