• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reason for wavy line on track

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan125hst

Established Member
Thank you for the information! It was certainly puzzling me when I saw the strips. Is it still applied when rails are replaced or when new rails are laid, or is it a thing of the past?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trog

Established Member
A quick read of a few standards suggests the use of stainless steel rods, containing 20% Cromium, 10% Nickel, and 2% Molybdonum. Presumably this gives a hard strong weld metal as the design use of this type of rod is the welding of armor plating.

whhistle

On Moderation
I have been told it is done as a zig zag because it is a very hard metal, and if it was done in a straight line down the middle of the head there was a risk that it could over time damage the wheels.
Much like overhead power lines are not straight but they zig-zag across the pantograph, thus not creating a worn dip in one section of the panto.

While I don't doubt the knowledge of others here, why are they usually only found in bay platforms?
Edit: I may have just found the answer in post 23.

Railsigns

Established Member
I have been told it is done as a zig zag because it is a very hard metal, and if it was done in a straight line down the middle of the head there was a risk that it could over time damage the wheels.

I'm not convinced by that reasoning, since the distances involved are very short and speeds very low.

Differing rail/wheel profiles will affect where a train's wheels make contact with the rails. Particular profile combinations could mean that the wheels only make contact with one side of the rail head, possibly rendering a straight strip useless. Zigzagging the strip across the full width of the rail head caters for every possible wheel/rail profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.