• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Recommendations for a good train journey from York?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaxbyFur

Hey

I fancy going on a train ride next Monday and am a bit stuck as to where to go :P

I'm going from York and am just planning to go to somewhere for say an hour to have a bite to eat then come home, got a new digital camera and am wanting some train piccy's.

What's your suggestions? Preferably looking for something under £20.00 but might go a bit over :)

I was thinking either..

York - Whitby which is only £11.50, going up to Middlesbrough then back down.

or

York - Harrogate - Leeds and back.. which is only £10.50

What do? :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wellhouse

Marginally over your budget, but £20.70 gets an off-peak day return to Stalybridge.

Excellent light lunch at The Station Buffet there (or at The Head of Steam and/or Kings Head at Huddersfield Station), and superb winter wonderland photo opportunities through The Pennines (assuming it hasn't thawed by then).

The 158 Man

Don't go to Scarborough! It's a sh*thole. <D

Actually, it's not the place, it's the people.....and how it's run. :roll:

HaxbyFur

You could get an East Yorkshire Round Robin ticket for £19.
Allows unlimited travel in either direction after 08:45 on the route York-Scarborough-Bridlington-Hull-Selby-York.

http://www.northernrail.org/offers/dayrangers/East+Yorkshire+Round+Robin

Thanks a lot! That looks like a good offer, always wanted to ride on the east ridings line :D

Marginally over your budget, but £20.70 gets an off-peak day return to Stalybridge.

Excellent light lunch at The Station Buffet there (or at The Head of Steam and/or Kings Head at Huddersfield Station), and superb winter wonderland photo opportunities through The Pennines (assuming it hasn't thawed by then).

Thanks! I'll take a look at Stalybridge, I've heard good things about it before, even from my parents so will definitely give that some consideration.

Don't go to Scarborough! It's a sh*thole.

Actually, it's not the place, it's the people.....and how it's run.

Yeah pretty much sums it up, nice town full of chavs. Still does good fish and chips though so can't complain, although it will be freezing this time of year.

Established Member
also in febuary, there is a railtour ran by spitfire from york to a place called Stanhope its a station on a preserved line, alternatively you can get off in Shildon for the NRM locomotion

Its £10 rtn to Stanhope, £5 shildon

http://www.spitfirerailtours.co.uk

if you deceide to do it dont forget to come say hi....we have goodies :lol:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'd recommend a railtour, it's a great way to meet new people, and avoid the plastic that infests the modern railway.

Another alternative would be Grand Central. There's always people up for that, could turn it into a meet. (split at Hartlepool for the best price ;))

Ivo

Established Member
I've looked on the Grand Central website for cheap returns and they're quoting £14 for an Anytime Return to Sunderland. Not the best place for photography, I admit, but still a fine price.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've looked on the Grand Central website for cheap returns and they're quoting £14 for an Anytime Return to Sunderland. Not the best place for photography, I admit, but still a fine price.
I believe you have a Railcard? If you are not returning the same day and you are not doing the peak service from Sunderland (0641) on weekdays then the best ticket combo is as follows:

YRK-HPL £7.90 Rte: Not Darlington
HPL-SUN £2.00 Rte: GC Grand Ctl Only

Total = £9.90

£14 is reasonable but it is an "Open" product, ie allows travel for a whole month on any train.

If you want photos, do not go to Sunderland ;)

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
Never mind "Not the Best", Sunderland probably has a case for "Worst" place for pictures! (It makes a mockery of its SUN code.)

The £14 I found was without the YPRC, which as you rightly say I do have. It did seem a little too low though.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Never mind "Not the Best", Sunderland probably has a case for "Worst" place for pictures! (It makes a mockery of its SUN code.)

The £14 I found was without the YPRC, which as you rightly say I do have. It did seem a little too low though.
That's strange. The price is £16 without a YNG railcard. The price with a railcard is still more expensive than splitting at Hartlepool , at £10.55, but it is a better product (apart from not being TOC specific).

Bear in mind that if a cable theft occurs (quite a regular event) and want to go via Newcastle, the GC only tickets have no value on any non-GC trains and cannot even be excessed, but with the inter-available ticket you'd probably be allowed to go via Newcastle at no extra cost in the event of serious disruption, or if not at least over distance excess it.

I have bought GC only tickets as it's only a little more and wanted to support them, but I once had to grovel to TPE because of a Northern train being cancelled meaning I missed the GC at Hartlepool (I was at Seaham). I wasn't challenged on the Northern to Thornaby but I was certainly not going to pay when they were liable. After explaining the cancellation to the TPE guard (before boarding) I was allowed to travel, but common sense isn't always going to prevail sadly. You have been warned, and I won't be doing that again ;)

By the way, the York fare is valid from as far south as Sherburn in Elmet (which is near South Milford), and obviously Church Fenton, and also on the Harrogate line as far west as Cattal. So people from Harrogate should split at Cattal and Hartlepool.

HaxbyFur

I'd recommend a railtour, it's a great way to meet new people, and avoid the plastic that infests the modern railway.

Another alternative would be Grand Central. There's always people up for that, could turn it into a meet. (split at Hartlepool for the best price ;))

Yeah, I do want to go on a railtour.

I want to go out this Monday though because I haven't been out for ages, and like I said it's a rare week off work in which I'm doing quite a lot.

Established Member
YRK-HPL £7.90 Rte: Darlington
HPL-SUN £2.00 Rte: GC Grand Ctl Only

Total = £9.90

£14 is reasonable but it is an "Open" product, ie allows travel for a whole month on any train.

If you want photos, do not go to Sunderland ;)

That's quite good, although means that you have to change twice which I guess most people would not want to do.

Yes don't go to Sunderland to take pictures. The best station would be St. Peter's on the Metro which is more in the open and has a nice view across the railway bridge.

If you do go for Sunderland, get a Metro Day Rover and have a look around the system. The best thing is that it is valid on Northern Newcastle - Sunderland services so you can ride back on a Pacer (or 156)!

Another option may be Saltburn, a nice place and a good ride from Middlesbrough or Eaglescliffe.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That's quite good, although means that you have to change twice which I guess most people would not want to do.
??? :?

There's no need to change trains on split tickets.

Sorry if my typo of not including the "Not" before "Darlington" confused you. Darlington is permitted on Any Permitted tickets, but these come at a huge premium (more even than paying for Northallerton-Yarm/Eaglescliffe twice on separate tickets!) See this topic for more on the Route Not Darlington vs Any Permitted tickets for this flow.

HaxbyFur

??? :?

Sorry if my typo of not including the "Not" before "Darlington" confused you. Darlington is permitted on Any Permitted tickets, but these come at a huge premium (more even than paying for Northallerton-Yarm/Eaglescliffe twice on separate tickets!) See this topic for more on the Route Not Darlington vs Any Permitted tickets for this flow.

Yeah true, although even if needed I wouldn't mind changing.

Was thinking about Halifax and Eureka? hmm

Established Member

Saw the route as Darlington then automatically thought about the Sunday only service direct to Hartlepool, so two changes would be needed.

Now I've re-read this, it looks even better. I often do GC jaunts so will keep it in mind.

pinkpanther

also in febuary, there is a railtour ran by spitfire from york to a place called Stanhope its a station on a preserved line, alternatively you can get off in Shildon for the NRM locomotion

Its £10 rtn to Stanhope, £5 shildon

http://www.spitfirerailtours.co.uk

if you deceide to do it dont forget to come say hi....we have goodies :lol:

I'm on the tour to Stanhope on the 19th. Travelling past my old house on Etherley Lane in in Bishop Auckland after so many years is going to be quite an experience, I expect! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.