• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Record for minimalist level of service from a major London terminus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonT

Not posting this as a criticism but rather as a query. Have there been any similar precedents at any London major terminals to the 30-minute service between Kings Cross and Potters Bar which is the sole offering from/to Kings Cross on Christmas Eve. I know that there will have been complete blockades affecting most London terminals on occasion where all services have been curtailed but I'm wondering if there have been previous examples of such a miniscule operation being fielded (albeit for good reason).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I know that there will have been complete blockades affecting most London terminals on occasion where all services have been curtailed but I'm wondering if there have been previous examples of such a miniscule operation being fielded (albeit for good reason).
Final days of limited service into/out of Broad Street station just before its closure in June 1986, perhaps?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not posting this as a criticism but rather as a query. Have there been any similar precedents at any London major terminals to the 30-minute service between Kings Cross and Potters Bar which is the sole offering from/to Kings Cross on Christmas Eve. I know that there will have been complete blockades affecting most London terminals on occasion where all services have been curtailed but I'm wondering if there have been previous examples of such a miniscule operation being fielded (albeit for good reason).
There appears to be 4 trains per hour from Potters Bar to London tomorrow.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Only half of them to Kings Cross though?
If you need King's Cross specifically then you are better off with the direct train, but for most people they'd be changing to the tube for a central destination.

Anyway, while it may not be great, there will be places with worse offerings to London than Potters Bar gets; I am unsure what you are asking for in the thread title, though.

West Ruislip has only an hour service to Marylebone (I guess the central line doesn't count if your Moorgate services don't count) at best, with nothing between the 1436 and 1736 departures!

GordonT

If you need King's Cross specifically then you are better off with the direct train, but for most people they'd be changing to the tube for a central destination.

Anyway, while it may not be great, there will be places with worse offerings to London than Potters Bar gets; I am unsure what you are asking for in the thread title, though.

West Ruislip has only an hour service to Marylebone (I guess the central line doesn't count if your Moorgate services don't count) at best, with nothing between the 1436 and 1736 departures!
I was thinking more of cases where there would normally be at least five or six times the number of departures per hour and the full range of normal destinations not cases where the normal base service itself is sparse. A hypothetical example might be if London Victoria has ever fielded (say) a half hourly Gatwick Airport service and nothing else.

Magdalia

Established Member
Most Sunday services were very sparse until Network South East and relaxation of Sunday trading laws. When Kings Cross-Royston was electrified in 1978 the Sunday outer suburban service increased from 1tph to 2tph. And there were few Inter City services on Sundays, for example in 1978 Kings Cross had only 7 Inter City arrivals before 1600.

There has been 3 major engineering projects that severely limited access at Kings Cross: 2 station throat remodelling projects in 1977 and 2021, plus the construction and connecting up of the Canal Tunnel at Belle Isle. All of these had periods of very restricted operation in and out of the terminus.

And then there is the aftermath of the Hatfield and Potters Bar derailments when Kings Cross only had a very restricted service via Hertford North.

Taunton

Established Member
I seem to recollect a Boxing Day at Paddington when there were 2 per hour to Heathrow, don't recall whether Express or Connect, and that was it.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Very start of the first lockdown in Spring 2020 at one of the smaller termini, limited services?

A S Leib

Very start of the first lockdown in Spring 2020 at one of the smaller termini, limited services?
Marylebone was down to four departures per hour on weekdays (Aylesbury Vale Parkway via Amersham, all stops except the Sudburys to Aylesbury via High Wycombe, Oxford, Birmingham Moor Street) in most hours.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
That's appalling. How run down Chiltern's service has become of late...

sk688

Marlyebone's half-hourly services to Oxford Parkway on Boxing Day ?

Victoria had 3tph leaving the station on the 26th. I can understand the Gatwick services but unsure as to why the Sutton ones were running

London Trains

Victoria had 3tph leaving the station on the 26th. I can understand the Gatwick services but unsure as to why the Sutton ones were running
It had 6tph - 1tph Brighton, 1tph Gatwick, 2tph Sutton via Norbury, 2tph East Croydon via Crystal Palace

cle

Established Member
Marlyebone's half-hourly services to Oxford Parkway on Boxing Day ?

Because they run through hugely used South London stations (which don’t have tube service - Balham aside) - far more users than Gatwick.

xotGD

Established Member
Two departures an hour was normal for St Pancras for a number of years. One to Sheffield, one to Nottingham.

Taunton

Established Member
This is how it was on Sundays at St Pancras when the Bedpan electrification to the Widened Lines first opened in 1982, taking the suburban services out of there. About one every two hours. Departures at:

... then a bit more frequent

Attachments

• St Pancras Sundays.JPG
    St Pancras Sundays.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 111

wls1

For the past few Sundays, there had only been 2 trains per hour out of Fenchurch Street, Fenchurch Street - Shoeburyness via Stratford & Rainham. A normal service out of Fenchurch Street on a Sunday is only 4tph, one FST - SRY via Ockendon and FST - GRY via Rainham

Status
Not open for further replies.