• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Recover camera photos after SD card crash?

VALUEV

Hello, I have encountered an unpleasant event. My 64gb sd stick from my camera has failed and all my photos are gone. The card is no longer readable on the camera. When I connect the card to the PC it shows up as empty and asks for formatting.

After a bit of googling, I realised that you need special software to recover photos. I even tried a few, but did not achieve the desired result ......

Does anyone know how to help me?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

azt

Hello, I have encountered an unpleasant event. My 64gb sd stick from my camera has failed and all my photos are gone. The card is no longer readable on the camera. When I connect the card to the PC it shows up as empty and asks for formatting.

After a bit of googling, I realised that you need special software to recover photos. I even tried a few, but did not achieve the desired result ......

Does anyone know how to help me?
Do a search for photorec, it's free software and runs on a pc. I have used this many times on Linux OS to retrieve deleted photos/files, even if the disk has been reformated. You should be able to get all your photos back.

azt

Do a search for photorec, it's free software and runs on a pc. I have used this many times on Linux OS to retrieve deleted photos/files, even if the disk has been reformated. You should be able to get all your photos back.
Sorry here is the link to the software:

VALUEV

Sorry here is the link to the software:

Yes, it's the first programme I've tried. It was able to find about 20% of my material. This result doesn't work for me. I'm looking for more ...

azt

Yes, it's the first programme I've tried. It was able to find about 20% of my material. This result doesn't work for me. I'm looking for more ...
You can also try testdisk: https://testdisk.en.softonic.com/

The only time I have not been able to recover lost files with this program is when the disk read/write head has been damaged. This shouldn't apply to you as you've got an sd card.

If this doesn't work I don't know what else to try!

VALUEV

I managed to recover most of the material.

I came across this video on YouTube.

Hetman Partition Recovery was able to recover 90% of the data from the flash drive. This is probably the best result so far. Overall, I'm satisfied because I managed to recover most of the data for little money.Thank you all for your help)

azt

I managed to recover most of the material.

I came across this video on YouTube.

Hetman Partition Recovery was able to recover 90% of the data from the flash drive. This is probably the best result so far. Overall, I'm satisfied because I managed to recover most of the data for little money.Thank you all for your help)
Thanks for sharing :)

Bevan Price

Established Member
One reminder from this - NEVER rely on a single device or location to store all your photos or other data. Always have at least one back-up copy - and preferably more than one. Even "the cloud" is vulnerable if the operator goes out of business.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
As the OP hasn't yet replied to post #8, may I respectfully add to @Bevan Price advice and don't buy cheap memory cards; they're a false economy. Also, best to spread your pictures over a few smaller-capacity memory cards rather than one huge capacity memory card.

What I used to do was to back up to a portable drive "in the field" but haven't really needed to as I've never had a memory card failure (now I've said it.... o_O)

Ken X

For those of us who are happy with using the ubiquitous smartphone camera, I have used OneDrive to instantly send copies of photos to the cloud at the time of taking. It's a bit data hungry and there may be better options but it worked for me.

Western 52

Golden rule of computing- no such thing as too many backups! I back photos up to my pc, an external hard drive, OneDrive and a website!