• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Redcar Level Crossing Accident (01/05)

Established Member
The BBC are reporting that a northern service struck a car at Redcar level crossing this morning at 09:30, thankfully no injuries.

Looking at RTT, the line at Redcar is still closed.

A car and a train have collided at a level crossing on Teesside.
Emergency teams were called to the scene near Redcar station just before 09:30 BST.
Northern said nine passengers were on board and no "serious" injuries had been reported.
The operator added trains running between Middlesbrough and Saltburn would be cancelled, with disruption expected until 17:00 BST.
It said buses had been brought in to transport passengers between the two stations.
Jason Wade, regional director for Northern, said: “The service involved was travelling from Saltburn to Nunthorpe and had nine customers on board.
“Thankfully, there are no reports of any serious physical injuries, including the driver of the vehicle, although paramedics have attended the scene and we are supporting customers affected by this incident."
Cleveland Fire Brigade said it was called to the scene of the crash involving a car and a two-carriage train on Station Road.
It sent three engines, but they were stood down just after 10:00 BST.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfowkes

The barriers are not across the road in the picture in the article. It is possible they were retracted after the collision to allow for emergency service access? Otherwise that's a pretty serious incident.

Fadacious

From reading on the Gazette's site, it looks like the level crossing completely failed

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The barriers are not across the road in the picture in the article. It is possible they were retracted after the collision to allow for emergency service access? Otherwise that's a pretty serious incident.
Other reports, (although only quoting members of the public), are saying there were no lights showing, as though the crossing sequence had not been started at all.

One bystander saw the incident unfold, saying: "What I can gather is that nothing happened. There were no lights, not as far as I can remember. No lights, no alarms. They went along the crossing as normal and a train came and hit them. It was about 9.30am. I heard a crash and ran to the door and saw the car being dragged along by the train. It made me jump a bit, it was loud."

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member

norbitonflyer

Established Member
The barriers there seem unusual - they move alont their own lenhth rather than pivoting about a horizontal axis. I've not seen that anywhere else. Anyone know why?

Other reports, (although only quoting members of the public), are saying there were no lights showing, as though the crossing sequence had not been started at all.
The lights are showing in the photograph

skyhigh

Established Member
Unless it's changed, it appears as if the crossing is controlled by the adjacent signal box - in which case I'd be very surprised if the signaller had cleared the protecting signal without noticing that the crossing wasn't working.

Full testing has been carried out on the crossing so if there was a defect it will have been found and recorded.

Either way I understand that RAIB have attended the scene so possibly a report/safety digest is on the way if they deem necessary.

Lucy1501

I'd be very surprised if the signaller had cleared the protecting signal without noticing that the crossing wasn't working.
If the crossing isn't working the signal would not clear unless the crossing was placed into an override or local control mode, requiring operation from outside the signal box. So that makes that scenario even more unlikely!

Darandio

Established Member
The barriers there seem unusual - they move alont their own lenhth rather than pivoting about a horizontal axis. I've not seen that anywhere else. Anyone know why?

The old gates would fail from the slightest breath of wind travelling up the road from the North Sea, this was seen as the solution.

The new gates fail without a breath of wind, often for several days.

Last edited:

Ediswan

Established Member
There was a whole thread about these barriers a while back. Maybe somebody will have more luck finding it than I have.

Ryry

However looking at the pictures. The gates failed the lights were still on.

156443 was the unit involved

There was a whole thread about these barriers a while back. Maybe somebody will have more luck finding it than I have.
This one perhaps?

skyhigh

Established Member
However looking at the pictures. The gates failed the lights were still on.
It's totally impossible to tell anything useful from the photos as you have no idea if the barriers were manually opened to allow emergency services access, or the lights were later enabled to stop further traffic etc.

Unless there's footage of the incident floating about online anything could have happened between the incident and when the photo was taken.

12LDA28C

Established Member
If the crossing isn't working the signal would not clear unless the crossing was placed into an override or local control mode, requiring operation from outside the signal box. So that makes that scenario even more unlikely!

Unless the driver was 'talked past' the signal...

From streetview I can't see any reason why there can't be a full barrier crossing. There's also one a bit further down the line

john349uk

There used to be boom gates at this location, until about 5 years ago? They had a motor and a wheel and swung across the road, a bit like manual gates but made automatic. Not sure why they weren't replaced with the traditional lifting barriers.

skyhigh

Established Member
What about a 2 barrier full barrier crossing
If there's no space for one of the four barriers to go in for a full barrier lifting crossing it's not going to work, unless you have a stupidly long single barrier on one side that raises about 30 feet into the air or use a half-barrier crossing which would be a safety downgrade on a full-barrier crossing.

Or the current arrangement could have been used.... I'm not sure the style of barrier has played any part in this incident.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Why didn't they just put regular barriers in?

From streetview I can't see any reason why there can't be a full barrier crossing. There's also one a bit further down the line
There is insufficient room to fit one of the mounts required for lifting barriers due to the location of the signal box. The road was considered too wide for a single arm barrier. Hence the sliding barriers.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Apparently it's a very windy location - lifting barriers, supported only at one end, (especially full barriers with skirts) would blow away or at least flex enough to jam the lifting mechanism.

stuving

There is insufficient room to fit one of the mounts required for lifting barriers due to the location of the signal box. The road was considered too wide for a single arm barrier. Hence the sliding barriers.
No, post #10 was right. This is what Network rail said at the time (14/12/215):

New railway crossing gates signal the end of traffic issues in Redcar​

Region & Route: Eastern

Britain’s first sliding gate level crossing barriers are now operational in the North East after a recent upgrade as part of Network Rail’s Railway Upgrade Plan.

The new, telescopic barrier slides out across West Dyke Road in Redcar from alongside the railway tracks and marks the end of the existing boom gate barrier which was plagued by reliability problems during high winds.

The new gate was originally due to be installed in 2018 but with the old barrier increasingly difficult to operate in strong winds, Network Rail took the decision to fast-track the approval process with Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council and fit the new gates ahead of schedule...

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
No, post #10 was right. This is what Network rail said at the time (14/12/215):
Nothing that I've said contradicts either post #10 or Network Rail (though I could have elaborated that it was too wide and too windy for a single arm barrier). If you could explain how it would be possible to fit a conventional crossing barrier pedestal in this location without knocking down the signal box or narrowing a busy main road to allow the fitment of conventional two arm barriers on each side I'm all ears! :lol:

Tractor37

Which is most likely what occured and barriers were forgotten.
And if he did have to pass the signal at danger the driver following the rule book would have had to stop before passing over the crossing ensuring it was clear and safe before proceeding. Also sounding the horn before commencement over the crossing